What religion are you?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: What religion are you?

Post by mikelcho »

I'm a Christian - Lutheran, to be exact. However, I'm having a lot of questions about the things fundamentalists usually talk about.

Like, the stuff they say about LGBT people. I happen to have two old friends who were gay and would like to get back in touch with them if I can, having lost touch long ago. The way I see it, just because two people don't agree on certain things doesn't mean they can't be friends. I was raised with the saying "Treat people the way you would want to be treated." LGBT people have enough to worry about, what with still being persecuted by homophobes. You can't tell me that what happened to Harvey Milk and Matthew Shepherd all those years ago isn't wrong. If two people want to make love, that's their business, not mine, just as long as they don't do it in public and both offend some people and do something considered illegal in the eyes of the law. This LGBT "agenda" I keep hearing about is something I haven't seen any real evidence of, at least not in my experience. The actions of a few aren't necessarily the actions of all. Most LGBT people are likely just average guys and gals who just want to be left alone and live their own lives in peace and quiet. And believe me, I know what it's like to be bullied just because you're different from everyone else.

And a lot of fundamentalists are starting to say yet again "The end is near." It never ceases to make me mad. Life is not the horror they keep perpetrating. There is good in this world, there is meaning in this life, and I think what they're doing is fearmongering, plain and simple. You want a perfect example of a failed predictor of the end times? I'll give you one name - Hal Lindsey. Where is he today? He has vanished from the public eye. His various books are fodder for used book stores. I don't think he's even written a book in who knows how many years, let alone published one. I keep wanting to ask these people "If this is the end times, where's the Antichrist?"
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I believe in God, but I don't subscribe to any one religion.
mikelcho wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 pmMost LGBT people are likely just average guys and gals who just want to be left alone and live their own lives in peace and quiet. And believe me, I know what it's like to be bullied just because you're different from everyone else.
Yep. That, and there's simply no compelling argument as to why homosexual is morally wrong. I've debated many over the years and have yet to hear one, because there isn't one.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

There is no compelling argument to de-humanize LGBTQIA+ people period. There is no such thing as politely denying a person's existence.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Catholic, born and raised. My kids go to a private Catholic school and we do what every Catholic does....Not go to Church on Sundays......LOL.

Seriously, I love my faith and the teachings it has given me and my family.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:59 pm There is no compelling argument to de-humanize LGBTQIA+ people period. There is no such thing as politely denying a person's existence.
Nobody should be hated. I absolutely agree, this is stated in scripture. However, I'm sure that most if not all of us have had family or friends, or at least someone we know who live an immoral life, steal, get drunk, take advantage of others for selfish reason, or even worse crimes. Do we hate them?...NO, but we DO hate what they have done.
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:35 am
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:59 pm There is no compelling argument to de-humanize LGBTQIA+ people period. There is no such thing as politely denying a person's existence.
Nobody should be hated. I absolutely agree, this is stated in scripture. However, I'm sure that most if not all of us have had family or friends, or at least someone we know who live an immoral life, steal, get drunk, take advantage of others for selfish reason, or even worse crimes. Do we hate them?...NO, but we DO hate what they have done.
You’re not using same-sex relationships as an example of living immorally, comparable to stealing, getting drunk, or taking advantage of others, are you?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I can see it coming a mile away.....*grabs popcorn*.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I can see it coming a mile away, also, and I'm gonna ask everybody to keep their responses as polite and respectful as possible - and that includes being respectful of people's sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as respectful of beliefs which are expressed without malice or harm.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am I can see it coming a mile away, also, and I'm gonna ask everybody to keep their responses as polite and respectful as possible - and that includes being respectful of people's sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as respectful of beliefs which are expressed without malice or harm.
No problem, eabaker. Right now I’m just asking for clarification anyway; I wasn’t sure if I misread or misinterpreted the post.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Religion is always a sensitive topic for many people. That's why I'm surprised someone here was willing to take the risk of setting a thread dedicated to it. Anyways I just want to let you all know that I do not consider myself part of any religion. In fact, I question as to whether there even is a place for it in today's world.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:42 pm Religion is always a sensitive topic for many people. That's why I'm surprised someone here was willing to take the risk of setting a thread dedicated to it. Anyways I just want to let you all know that I do not consider myself part of any religion. In fact, I question as to whether there even is a place for it in today's world.
So God has no place in today's world?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

goji89 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:13 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:42 pm Religion is always a sensitive topic for many people. That's why I'm surprised someone here was willing to take the risk of setting a thread dedicated to it. Anyways I just want to let you all know that I do not consider myself part of any religion. In fact, I question as to whether there even is a place for it in today's world.
So God has no place in today's world?
Not for people like me at least.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

So, I've said in the past that I don't have a religion, but technically I am a member of an organization recognized as a religion under U.S. law. In common parlance, though, I feel uncomfortable describing it as a religion, since it has no theistic component (I'd consider it a combination of a philosophy and a political action group, though it needs to be termed a "religion" in order to protect the freedoms of its members, and enable them to participate in protecting the religious freedom of everybody else). Anyway, I am a card-carrying member of The Satanic Temple.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I believe it and actually answers a whole Hell of a lot.... pun intended.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 pm I believe it and actually answers a whole Hell of a lot.... pun intended.
I'd be disappointed in you if it weren't intended.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

eabaker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm So, I've said in the past that I don't have a religion, but technically I am a member of an organization recognized as a religion under U.S. law. In common parlance, though, I feel uncomfortable describing it as a religion, since it has no theistic component (I'd consider it a combination of a philosophy and a political action group, though it needs to be termed a "religion" in order to protect the freedoms of its members, and enable them to participate in protecting the religious freedom of everybody else). Anyway, I am a card-carrying member of The Satanic Temple.
Shit man, another fellow Satanist!

Funnily enough, I was converted when I was living in the hellhole known as South Jersey. Been meaning to check out the temple in NYC until COVID hit.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For those of you who are religious, how would you feel if a friend or family member with the same upbringing as you had a crisis of faith? What if this person felt that religion was little more than a burden on their lives and decided to leave for good?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm Anyway, I am a card-carrying member of The Satanic Temple.

Somehow I’m not even surprised by this revelation, lol.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

As a (very poor practitioner of) Presbyterian Christianity, i wasn't expecting to see satanists here on TK, or to ever actually meet one....

And to answer Legendzilla's question, I would try to do what I could to help them, but if they truly felt religion was a burden to them and would part with it, I would help them with that as well. Whatever wouls help their mental state and getting through their trials of life.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Giratina93 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:15 pm As a (very poor practitioner of) Presbyterian Christianity, i wasn't expecting to see satanists here on TK, or to ever actually meet one....
I mean, neither of the major American Satanic religions (The Satanic Temple and The Church of Satan) believe he exists, much less worship him. Satan - specifically a Miltonian version of Satan - is just a symbol. The COS Satan does believe in magic, whereas TST is a totally atheistic organization, primarily a social justice political action group dedicated in large part to protecting human rights and the separation of church and state.