What religion are you?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: What religion are you?

Post by Chrispy_G »

Christian. My faith was very casual and superficial growing up, but as an adult over the course of the last 6 years or so, my faith has become a bigger and bigger piece of my life.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Giratina93 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:15 pm As a (very poor practitioner of) Presbyterian Christianity, i wasn't expecting to see satanists here on TK, or to ever actually meet one....
I mean, at least in my case, Satanist doesn't mean I worship him. The Satanic Temple doesn't worship Satan, or even believe in him in a supernatural sense. Satan is a symbol of personal rebellion against traditional authority. All that the Satanic Temple "worships" is the advocacy of human equality (including LGBTQ+ rights), separation of church and state, bodily integrity (including abortion rights), and the scientific understanding of the world.

tldr: Humans can be better than they are now, so let's do that.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:58 am All that the Satanic Temple "worships" is the advocacy of human equality (including LGBTQ+ rights), separation of church and state, bodily integrity (including abortion rights), and the scientific understanding of the world.
Sounds like secular humanism to me. Why even call it satanism if it has nothing to do with satan? To be edgy, of course. Silly.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:58 am All that the Satanic Temple "worships" is the advocacy of human equality (including LGBTQ+ rights), separation of church and state, bodily integrity (including abortion rights), and the scientific understanding of the world.
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:48 pm Sounds like secular humanism to me. Why even call it satanism if it has nothing to do with satan? To be edgy, of course. Silly.
As a way to troll the church, I guess? But also to be edgy. Either way it makes for a fun source of jokes, so I'm not complaining. :P

Edit: Actually, I think I remember reading somewhere that the Church of Satan needs religious exemption to get some of its goals off the ground? Don't know the details about that, though, other than the Satanic Church supposedly paying taxes in the hopes that other religious organizations will do the same.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The Satanic temple is a political woke troll.

Founded in 2013 and based out of Salem, Massachusetts, the group has been around for over eight years. It has its roots in political activism and was founded as a sort of "anti-religion.

The group was founded out of political protest to stick it to the religions and their tax exempt status.
Imagine if a Satanic organization applied for funds, it would sink the whole program," Jarry told The Times of the initial concept behind the temple.
Basically it's people that want to show that their moral compass is greater than any other religion even choosing Satan as it's mascot to get it's point across.
Last edited by goji89 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:48 pm
Sounds like secular humanism to me. Why even call it satanism if it has nothing to do with satan? To be edgy, of course. Silly.
It does have to do with Satan, but specifically with his representation in art and literature, particularly from the Romantic era.

And, yes, there is an element of shock value there, which is often an important aspect of counter-cultural political movements.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:48 pm
Some of the core components of Satanism include self-ownership and rejection of dogmatic authority, just like how Satanael was seen as the eternal rebel against Demiurge. Both of which are not fundamental pillars in humanism.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Fair enough. Misnomer aside, most of the principles are solid.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Christian - Southern Baptist background but consider myself non-denominational. I'm also not a very "good" example of Christendom - I rarely ever pray, I very rarely go to church (not against it in any way, just not interested in going), and while I consider myself a good person I'm sinful with sloth, gluttony, and lust (I enjoy my alone time and adult videos) and I'm only ever repent-ful of the gluttony thing (I need to eat less and healthier - I also need to exercise more and not be lazy regarding sloth, but it's so hard!). I'm a nihilist, a misanthrope, a natural born cynic, and at least a little bit "B" on the LGBTQ spectrum (I've got a specific type I'd totally go for). To top it all off, while I believe in God, God's less important in my spiritual/religious make-up than just needing an after life. While I believe in a higher power, higher power is something I can take and leave, all that matters is the immortality of the soul, life after death.

So yeah, Christian, but about as lax of a one as you can get. I used to be more spiritual in my youth, believing in the goodness of most people, karma, full of wonder about the world. Even used to believe in magic and the power of positive thinking. But life's worn on me and hope is dead in me. If there was a religion that taught that humanity inherently sucks and we're bringing about our own richly deserved extinction through climate change, I'd be tempted to convert to it (and to let you know just how casually I can damn mankind, there was no unhappy anger in any of this - in fact, I got a few chuckles typing the concert bit).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

In the LGBT spectrum I'm full blown "L".

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

LGBT sounds like a dank-ass sammich. Lettuce, guac, bacon, tomato, maybe some mayo and pesto on that bitch.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:30 pm LGBT sounds like a dank-ass sammich. Lettuce, guac, bacon, tomato, maybe some mayo and pesto on that female dog.
Man, and until now I was content and happy with my turkey hot dogs...

Is LGBTQ the same sandwhich but with queso?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

If that sounds good then imagine a LGBTTQQIAAP+

Hold the Mayo of course.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’ve discussed my untraditional thoughts on religion, so I’d though I’d share my bringing up.

Ever since I was a baby I’d been brought up Anglican Protestant. I was never really a good Christian if I’m being honest. At church I’d always ask the leaders questions they couldn’t answer, or were afraid too. I barely ever prayed, only doing so when I was prompted to by my mother or when I was in a state where I was so mortified I prayed to God out of comfort asking for deliverance. I was narcissistic, so very proud, I was wrathful when angered, and a bit lustful (You can’t stop these kind of things), not to mention I, much like Vakanai, dabbled in the B side of the LGBT group. I was a kid of science, too. I was always fascinated by dinosaurs, and animals, and whatnot. As I grew older I grew more fascinated with evolution and biology that I started to subconsciously push away biblical teachings. By the age of 13 I didn’t even consider myself Christian anymore, and I still don’t, really.

Like I said a few pages back, I believe in all-loving God who doesn’t care how you live but just wants you to be happy. I don’t see a reason why such a higher being would care about your choices, or be offended by anything you do (obviously, if it’s not something evil like murder). I believe this higher being would grant you an afterlife you design, something tailored to your liking, as a sort of paradise. You have control over your afterlife, and God is just there to grant it to you.

So TL:DR, I used to be an a shitty excuse for an Anglican Protestant, but now I believe my All-Loving, Your-Paradise-In-The-Afterlife God.
For Emperor and Empire!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:58 am
Giratina93 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:15 pm As a (very poor practitioner of) Presbyterian Christianity, i wasn't expecting to see satanists here on TK, or to ever actually meet one....
I mean, at least in my case, Satanist doesn't mean I worship him. The Satanic Temple doesn't worship Satan, or even believe in him in a supernatural sense. Satan is a symbol of personal rebellion against traditional authority. All that the Satanic Temple "worships" is the advocacy of human equality (including LGBTQ+ rights), separation of church and state, bodily integrity (including abortion rights), and the scientific understanding of the world.

But what if I actually want to worship Satan and make human sacrifices?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Breakdown wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:50 pm

As long as you don't sacrifice them to the Golden Demise, you're good. :KingGhidorah64:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Breakdown wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Can I recommend a few people? Or are you all set.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I believe in the goodwill of people. That we're all stuck on this planet, so we might as well find ways to understand each other. Of course, that is all easier said than done. I don't associate with religion, although there's pros to a lot of them since they all mean something to someone.

I try to meet everyday as is, there'll always be stupid sh*t, but I decided to quit judging people long ago. If you atleast make an effort to try at whatever you want to do and don't talk down to people, then I'll come around to respecting ya sooner or later.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I suppose this is a dead thread but its an interesting topic nonetheless.

I was an atheist as a kid, starting at a very young age. I went to a catholic school too. I think in maybe 2nd grade I became an atheist. I share a birthday with Charles Darwin so I wanted to know more about him and I got super deep into the rabbit hole super young. I was watching Aron Ra even back then. I remember getting laughed at in 6th grade after trying to explain to my classmates that "fish technically doesn't mean anything in a scientific sense since its a polyphyletic group and in order to be valid it must be monophyletic" (good on you if you know what any of that means- I was a fucking nerd for evolutionary theory and cladistics and all that shit) I soon found Atheism inadequate. Its too...absolute.

I've bounced around various ideas, but I suppose I would be considered an agnostic. I've had curiosities toward spirituality, though I don't know that I actually believe in any of it. Funny enough, my favorite band Ghost pushed me on a past towards Satanism, though it isn't exactly a religion. I fundamentally agree with the tenants of Satanism, so I suppose I could be considered a Satanist then.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That one with all the well meaning rules than never pan out in real life.