The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

Post by Beast Blood »

JAGzilla wrote:^ He does look cuddly. Like a plushie, almost. I want to hug him. :lol: I love the colors, too; I hadn't seen a Senegal parrot before, and that color pattern is really striking.
He is very floofy lol. His colors are even more striking without the lighting on the pictures making the orange on his belly little different than the yellow on the rest of his belly.

_JNavs_ wrote:What a beautiful Birb!!
^.^

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I have a 5 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Akira, and a Lace Monitor hatchling I adopted recently, named Lance. The two get along quite well. I even see Lance and Akira sleeping on the same dog bed, snuggling with each other.
For Emperor and Empire!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Hello I'm looking into getting a leopard gecko and was wondering what to use for a habitat (so far I've got a 20 gallon/75.7 liter tank marked down) but am not sure what else I'll need for heating, substrate, humidity etc.

Also I live in Ohio, would that cause any harm to it due to the rather "temperamental" weather patterns
your source of self destruction

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

master_of_monsters wrote:Hello I'm looking into getting a leopard gecko and was wondering what to use for a habitat (so far I've got a 20 gallon/75.7 liter tank marked down) but am not sure what else I'll need for heating, substrate, humidity etc.

Also I live in Ohio, would that cause any harm to it due to the rather "temperamental" weather patterns
I've had reptiles a long while now so i can help!

For the heat, you'll want a warm side around 80-85 degrees, i'd recommend a Mini Heat & UVB Fixture with a Zilla 50W Mini Halogen bulb and a Zilla Desert Mini Compact Fluorescent UVB Bulb.

For the cool side make sure temps are about 75-80 degrees. You could usually do this with a regular analog thermometer. Leo's don't really need humidity, so you'll wanna keep that between 20-40% for that i'd recommend a hygrometer (or you can find a cheap combo thermo/hygro for around 9 bucks which i can link you if you want). I'd recommend 2, one for the cool side one for the warm. I use just one for my new Crestie, but he doesn't need a warm/cool side. Just the cool.

Most pet stores will tell you to use sand because they're uninformed, that can cause impaction issues that'll ultimately result in the death of the Leo. So i'd recommend either paper towel or Repticarpet, it also makes things look super neat and clean.

I live on Long Island so i have similar temps that bounce around randomly, normally the thermo/hygro is a lifesaver as you just have to check it every once in a while to make sure everything is good.

As far as food goes, they're insectivores, so you'll want to get calcium dusted crix or mealworms, with super worms as a little treat (optional).
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:Hello I'm looking into getting a leopard gecko and was wondering what to use for a habitat (so far I've got a 20 gallon/75.7 liter tank marked down) but am not sure what else I'll need for heating, substrate, humidity etc.

For the heat, you'll want a warm side around 80-85 degrees, i'd recommend a Mini Heat & UVB Fixture with a Zilla 50W Mini Halogen bulb and a Zilla Desert Mini Compact Fluorescent UVB Bulb.

For the cool side make sure temps are about 75-80 degrees. You could usually do this with a regular analog thermometer. Leo's don't really need humidity, so you'll wanna keep that between 20-40% for that i'd recommend a hygrometer (or you can find a cheap combo thermo/hygro for around 9 bucks which i can link you if you want). I'd recommend 2, one for the cool side one for the warm. I use just one for my new Crestie, but he doesn't need a warm/cool side. Just the cool.

Most pet stores will tell you to use sand because they're uninformed, that can cause impaction issues that'll ultimately result in the death of the Leo. So i'd recommend either paper towel or Repticarpet, it also makes things look super neat and clean.

I live on Long Island so i have similar temps that bounce around randomly, normally the thermo/hygro is a lifesaver as you just have to check it every once in a while to make sure everything is good.

As far as food goes, they're insectivores, so you'll want to get calcium dusted crix or mealworms, with super worms as a little treat (optional).

Thanks for the info and yeah I'll take that link

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

master_of_monsters wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

No problemo, this is the one i'm currently using, it's on sale for $7 down from $15 funnily enough. If you have any other questions let me know!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072X ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I've had reptiles a long while now so i can help!

No problemo, this is the one i'm currently using, it's on sale for $7 down from $15 funnily enough. If you have any other questions let me know!

Just out of curiosity when is the best time to get a gecko? I was going to shoot for late spring when it start to warm up

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

_JNavs_ wrote:

Just out of curiosity when is the best time to get a gecko? I was going to shoot for late spring when it start to warm up
Well if you want a fresh pick from the store/breeder, their breeding months are Jan-Sep, so they're almost around yearly lol.

As far as temps wise, since their cool side tends to be around 75 degrees, Sep - around November would be a good time if you have a warm home. But Spring is a perfect time due to hotter ambient temps that aren't too hot, plus with it being mid-breeding season, you'd get a good choice of babies depending on where you go.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

alright here's my setup so far. I'll be getting some decorations next week
the carpeting I have I'll need to cut to fit the tank and I have two lamps one for the day light and one for the night plus a heating pad to warm the flooring of the tank.
The idea is a prehistoric badlands motif with skulls, bones, and a couple of faux cacti
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIuKzQ-LKX9/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJACqZVLqJa/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJRp9MzLxRd/
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

anyone know of a good breeder for leopard geckos? I'm lookin for a particular type

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:43 pm anyone know of a good breeder for leopard geckos? I'm lookin for a particular type
I'd recommend UndergroundReptiles, LLLReptiles, or SnakesAtSunset for known Reptile breeder sites with fast delivery.

If you want specific breeders I'd recommend MorphMarket.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 pm
master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:43 pm anyone know of a good breeder for leopard geckos? I'm lookin for a particular type
I'd recommend UndergroundReptiles, LLLReptiles, or SnakesAtSunset for known Reptile breeder sites with fast delivery.

If you want specific breeders I'd recommend MorphMarket.
yeah I actually just put a deposit down for one

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptil ... kos/453463

Her name is Safii :mrgreen:

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

This summer i plan on getting a bearded dragon and a rosy boa.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKFcUVYrPEZ/

alright the tank is pretty much done, save for a few odds and ends but now I just need to prepare some food reserves and then I'll be ready for her. Is this what parental instincts feel like?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Currently discussing getting my hands on this stunningly beautiful Ball Python Juvie, he's a Butter Enchi Het Ghost and I neeeeeeeeed him.

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
master_of_monsters wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:14 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CKFcUVYrPEZ/

alright the tank is pretty much done, save for a few odds and ends but now I just need to prepare some food reserves and then I'll be ready for her. Is this what parental instincts feel like?
Hey I know I'm super late to this, but awesome setup man. Hope you've been enjoying that primal parental instinct that kicked in :lol:, it's like having your own little proto-family that relies on you!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:00 pm Currently discussing getting my hands on this stunningly beautiful Ball Python Juvie, he's a Butter Enchi Het Ghost and I neeeeeeeeed him.

master_of_monsters wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:14 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CKFcUVYrPEZ/

Hey I know I'm super late to this, but awesome setup man. Hope you've been enjoying that primal parental instinct that kicked in :lol:, it's like having your own little proto-family that relies on you!
:shock: that's a lovely snek
and thanks, the theme I had going was inspired desert based maps in monster hunter (a video game) and old dinosaur B movies. As for parental instincts I'm simultaneously jumping for joy and gripped with fear, I love her so much that I'm terrified
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

master_of_monsters wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:36 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:00 pm Currently discussing getting my hands on this stunningly beautiful Ball Python Juvie, he's a Butter Enchi Het Ghost and I neeeeeeeeed him.

and thanks, the theme I had going was inspired desert based maps in monster hunter (a video game) and old dinosaur B movies. As for parental instincts I'm simultaneously jumping for joy and gripped with fear, I love her so much that I'm terrified
Someone bought the snake before I could solidify the deal :cry: , but luckily I found this little Super Pastel on MorphMarket. Will get him Tuesday!

Desert tanks are always a super cool aesthetic for reptiles, especially dragons and Leo geckos. Has she been eating like a champ? It's so cool how they store their fat in their tails for future protein usage.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:42 am
master_of_monsters wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Someone bought the snake before I could solidify the deal :cry: , but luckily I found this little Super Pastel on MorphMarket. Will get him Tuesday!

Desert tanks are always a super cool aesthetic for reptiles, especially dragons and Leo geckos. Has she been eating like a champ? It's so cool how they store their fat in their tails for future protein usage.
I actually don't have her yet, but she looks pretty healthy from the pics that I have from the breeder. I may be getting her Thursday though if the weather holds

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I realize I haven't actually updated about the Super Pastel Het Clown Ball Python since last week, he survived the cold, and made it here perfectly on Tuesday, I fed him on Friday, then gave him a cheat meal on Saturday, and he ate like the voracious champ the breeder told me he was. I decided to name him Mushussu (or Mushy for short), named after the God of Babylon, it's been roughly translated as the, "Fierce Snake" and the "Splendor Serpent", splendor meaning magnificent or splendid. So I felt it fit really well.

And here's a pic of him feeding, over on the Ball Python forum they let me post it no problem, but since I don't know how the mods here would approach feeding pics, I'll put it under a spoiler just in case they deem it NSFW (The food was thawed, not live, no blood)
Spoiler:
Added in 9 minutes 56 seconds:
I have never seen an arboreal leopard gecko :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.