What blew your mind today?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

What blew your mind today?

Post by KaijuCanuck »

A topic for significant thoughts or events in your day that dont necessarily fit into the ruin/make your day topics.

I’ll go first - realizing that this year will mark 100 years since the end of the First World War. Holy shit. Us looking back on them is like them looking back on Napoleon. It’s kind of both sad and happy - on the one hand, it’s sad to move further and further away from such a significant world event, and the lessons it taught/lives it shaped. On the other hand, it’s happy to kind of close the book on one of mankind’s biggest tragedies.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Re: What blew your mind today?

Post by Coobzilla03 »

This thread to me is very significant because not everything makes my day, ruins my day, or gets on my nerves.

I'll be back here for sure.
Resized Image

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Pretty self explanatory: The Godzilla 2 trailer
Long Live The King

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

When you look up in the night sky, see millions and billions of galaxies and stars, and realize just how bloody tiny Earth is. It’s not even a speck in the grand scheme of the universe.

#BotM

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Realizing that Vera Farmiga's character in "Godzilla: King Of The Monsters" is basically a female Gendo Ikari.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Godzilla165 wrote:When you look up in the night sky, see millions and billions of galaxies and stars, and realize just how bloody tiny Earth is. It’s not even a speck in the grand scheme of the universe.
And then there are 7 billion people living on this tiny planet. :shock:
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's really foggy here this morning, and riding home from work just now, said fog allowed me to notice something I never had before: the power lines along the sides of the road are filled with spider webs. Thousands of them, every few feet. I guess they're almost invisible under normal conditions, but covered in condensation they stood out. It's kind of obvious in hindsight that spiders would take advantage of such a huge amount of available territory, but it had just never occurred to me before. My mom, brother, and friend, also in the car, were also seeing them for the first time and very surprised. Makes you appreciate how much life there is on this dust speck of a planet, and how little of it we actually notice in our day-to-day lives.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

I started a challenge in the roleplay subforum (specifically Emergence: Kaiju Invasion) that essentially is "see who can stand writing to Franzl Lang yodeling the longest". I thought my time of 17 minutes 21 seconds was a safe start.

But Andrew the Gojifan, that superhuman fiend, just made it to the 42 minute 27 second mark. :shock: How can that be possible?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Went out to eat today with my mother for the first time in a while, and the waitress turns to her and goes—

“Wow! Your daughter is getting so tall! What is she now? 14? 15?”

Mind you, I’m a twenty year-old college student.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Speaking as a twenty-nine year old, that's easier to do than you'd think. I've known or at least been aware of my neighbors' kids all their lives, and I could only give you a rough ballpark estimate of how old they are. Some of my guesses have been way low. Time just goes faster and faster as you age, years start to feel like seasons, and you just lose track.

And yes, I am aware that this post is amusing to the handful of middle-aged people we have here. I probably don't know how good I have it. :lol:

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

^ I'm always assumed to be older. I was at an mtg tournament back when I was fifteen and my opponent thought I was over 25. When I am 25 I'll probably look 50 or something.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And I have the opposite problem. People always think I'm about 18.

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

JAGzilla wrote:And I have the opposite problem. People always think I'm about 18.
Wait, you're not 18?!
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Realizing that DAM is 50 years old this year. :shock:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Realizing that I've been on here for only a month. It feels like just yesterday I joined
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

This was actually a few days ago, but I haven't had time to sit and write it all out, as it's a little involved. Please bear with me (or don't; nobody's forcing you to read this ;) ).

So, when my dad died a few years ago, we ended up putting his ashes in my mother's back yard and planting a tree over them.

Before he met my mother (flashback!), my dad was briefly married to another woman, Jackie.

Earlier this week, Jackie was in the Portland area, and asked if she could stop by to see the tree. My mom had no problem with this. She recognized it would be weird, but not necessarily bad.

My mom and Jackie had only met once or twice before, once when a high school was performing some scenes from a musical my parents had written, and Jackie came out to see it (also the first time I met Jackie). After that, apparently Jackie was at my dad's memorial service, but neither my mother nor I remember seeing her there (it was a busy day for us both, obviously). So, this was the first time my mother ever really got to know Jackie at all.

She stayed for a couple of hours, they got along, and they are going to try to go out for drinks when Jackie is next in Portland. My mom thinks she seems like a fun person to get drunk with.

So, now, onto some of the things my mother learned:

- My father was the first of Jackie's four husbands, and apparently he was the best of the lot (no surprise there; he was rad).

- Jackie had to kids with subsequent husbands. A girl with husband number two, and a boy with... I'm not sure which husband.

- Her son is now 29 (so, ten years my junior). Her daughter committed suicide about ten years ago.

- The daughter, obviously, was an unhappy person. She did not have a good relationship with her father at all.

- As a kid, the daughter heard a lot from Jackie about how great my dad was. Enough so that she went through a period in her childhood insisting that my father (whom she'd never actually met) was her real father.

So, this is the thing that's now in my brain: there used to be a woman in the world, who I never met, who at one time in her life would have vehemently insisted that she was my half-sister.

It wasn't true, of course, but it still leaves me with a sense that... maybe I should have had some kind of relationship with her? Maybe we should have been in one another's lives in some way. But now, we never can be, because she's gone.

I don't feel any one particular way about this information. I'm sad that this woman had such a lousy life; I'm sad that she's dead; I'm in a way warmed to realize that my father was so beloved that even strangers were able to feel some kind of affection for him.

I dunno. It's just a lot of stuff to think about, none of which actually has any material effect on my life in any sense.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

eabaker wrote:*snip*

This is very sad, but also heartwarming. Glad to hear your mom may have found a friend through all of this.

As for what blew my mind? It's not just today, but the past week. My brother bought a really nice telescope and we've been looking at the planets and stars in the night sky. Seeing Saturn's rings for yourself is absolutely breathtaking. I've also seen Venus, Jupiter and its four major moons, the surface of our moon in detail, and some very interesting clusters of stars. We've also observed what appeared to be satellites moving across the night sky.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Andrew the Gojifan
Monsterland Worker

Post by Andrew the Gojifan »

This foot of a seriema.
Last edited by Andrew the Gojifan on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a Pay to Win rage game

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
eabaker wrote:*snip*

This is very sad, but also heartwarming. Glad to hear your mom may have found a friend through all of this.

As for what blew my mind? It's not just today, but the past week. My brother bought a really nice telescope and we've been looking at the planets and stars in the night sky. Seeing Saturn's rings for yourself is absolutely breathtaking. I've also seen Venus, Jupiter and its four major moons, the surface of our moon in detail, and some very interesting clusters of stars. We've also observed what appeared to be satellites moving across the night sky.
Ahhh man, I'm so envious of you, mate :). We all know what Saturn's rings look like, but what did they really look like when you saw them, if I'm making any sense?

#BotM

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Godzilla165 wrote:
Ahhh man, I'm so envious of you, mate :). We all know what Saturn's rings look like, but what did they really look like when you saw them, if I'm making any sense?
It's hard to describe because, like you said, it's something we've all seen in pictures. But seeing it for yourself, it's almost like a religious experience. If I told you what I got out of it, it would come across in a very corny way. It's really something you have to see for yourself. Once you do, it's burned in your head. Suffice it to say, they deserve the names of gods.

His telescope wasn't particularly expensive all things considered. I'll see if I can get the make and model of it if you're interested in getting one.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.