Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:45 pm
It's well paced, excellent tone
Disagree.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Back to DOTM, it is by far the best of the Bayformers, not including Bumblebee.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:38 pm Back to DOTM, it is by far the best of the Bayformers, not including Bumblebee.
Massively agree

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:45 pm While Bumblebee has good character development, the movie is a remake of the Iron Giant while DOTM is more ambitious about it's storytelling.
You can't make that comparison with Bumblebee and then go around and praise DOTM whose main conflict is lifted entirely wholesale from the original TF cartoon's Ultimate Doom three-parter & Megatron's Master Plan two-parter.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:49 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:45 pm While Bumblebee has good character development, the movie is a remake of the Iron Giant while DOTM is more ambitious about it's storytelling.
You can't make that comparison with Bumblebee and then go around and praise DOTM whose main conflict is lifted entirely wholesale from the original TF cartoon's Ultimate Doom three-parter & Megatron's Master Plan two-parter.
Perhaps but not entirely. While yes both use the space bridge teleporting Cypertron to earth plot, there's arguably more differences between the G1 Episodes and DOTM vs Bumblebee and the iron giant. For one, Megatron is not the main antagonist in DOTM. Two, Sentinel prime's motivation in DOTM is to mainly Save the cybertronian race even if doing it the wrong way while Megatron in G1 is doing it mainly for cartoon conquest with getting earth energon resources as a by product. Three the human antagonist willingly joins the decpticons while G1 had brainwashing enslavement.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:45 pm
Disagree.
You could at least explain why, especially considering your hatred of the entire franchise seems to be the minority opinion.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Dark of the Moon is a bop thru and thru. It's got:
Spoiler:
Robot gore
Megatron Shotgun
Spock
The lil fellas
Optimus Prime's greatest murder spree
Robot mullets
Corporate ladder climbing Laserbeak
Buzz Aldrin
Deep Wang

AND MORE
Seriously though, DOTM slaps hard imo. The first Bay movie and Bumblebee both have a lot going for them but DOTM has all the cool (and cringe) things that I love about Bayformers plus a lot of cool stuff pulled from the greater Transformers world.

I'd also like to point out how DOTM laid out the framework for the Avengers...
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:19 am I'd also like to point out how DOTM laid out the framework for the Avengers...
How so?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:14 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:19 am I'd also like to point out how DOTM laid out the framework for the Avengers...
How so?
Specifically the climax of the first Avengers film. Should have been more clear. Remember those few years when every blockbuster movie climax featured a blue beam shooting up into the sky? Pretty sure DOTM was the first movie to do that. That's kinda what I was talking about.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:10 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:45 pm
Disagree.
You could at least explain why, especially considering your hatred of the entire franchise seems to be the minority opinion.
I'm pretty sure I already did on my original post. I didn't find anything about the original movie funny or even remotely close to being as good as what everyone says. I already know I'm in the minority with my opinion on TMNT (this *IS* the Unpopular Opinion thread, after all). I just thought the entire movie, from beginning to end, was lame. I went into the original TMNT with the mindset it'd be akin to the Guyver, RoboCop, or any other handful of wacky sci-fi superhero shenanigans of the time and it just fell flat for me. As I said before, maybe it's just because I wasn't exposed to TMNT at a young age like everybody else and what little I did see of the cartoons growing up, I just didn't care for compared to other shows like Swat Kats and Street Sharks (even if this one is a legit TMNT knockoff).

I know I'm virtually alone with this opinion, and that is fine. The more people ask/hound me about it, the more and louder I'm going to say I think TMNT sucks.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Oh god we're gonna have people who think the Bayformers movies were "underrated" and future YouTube essays about why they are secretly genius and misunderstood or some shit. Those movies do not deserve such a benefit.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Didn't really care for TMNT 1990 either. Jim Henson's effects were cool, but overall I found the whole thing unfunny and boring. It didn't capture the energy I'd expect from such an outlandish premise.

I'm sure part of the reason is that it came out while I was still swimming around in my dad's balls. But I enjoyed countless other movies from the 80's, so it's not like that's a major barrier to entry for me.

I remember someone here mentioning the 2003 series as tryhard edgy, which I absolutely won't deny. But it was also batshit over-the-top and unrestrained. I didn't get that feeling with TMNT 1990.
Oh god we're gonna have people who think the Bayformers movies were "underrated" and future YouTube essays about why they are secretly genius and misunderstood or some shit. Those movies do not deserve such a benefit.
Hey, it happened with the prequels. I'm already seeing folks on other sites mentioning how Bayformers kept itself "free of the woke SJW agenda". And as someone who unironically liked Bayformers before that culture war reared its ugly head, I find it all disingenuous.

*Insert "we are not the same" meme template here*
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

godjacob wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:22 am Oh god we're gonna have people who think the Bayformers movies were "underrated" and future YouTube essays about why they are secretly genius and misunderstood or some poop. Those movies do not deserve such a benefit.
I personally think it’s under overrated, I think it’s overrated but not as much as it deserves to be
He Jock it Made of Steel

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I really like DOTM because it’s like a big, bombastic, conclusion to a series with a lot of finality. The decepticons are killed, we lost some friends on the way, made new ones, and saved Earth. We ignore the Wahlberg Films.

I also have a lot of nostalgia from watching it in the cinemas, and when it came out on DVD, I rewatched the second half of the movie over and over. Kid Voyager was enamoured was this film.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Granted it's been years since I've seen it, but I from my memory the first one was pretty good as far as "blockbusters made for thirteen to fifteen year old boys as the primary audience" goes.
Resized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:52 am I'm already seeing folks on other sites mentioning how Bayformers kept itself "free of the woke SJW agenda".
No, the series instead featured an adult man abusing "Romeo and Juliet" laws to date a teenage girl. :freak:

I got some nostalgic appreciation for the 2007 original Bayformers film, but I can't say I appreciate the sequels the same way. The 2007 film did something right that the sequels missed that I can't quite put my finger on. Better staged and choreographed action sequences? A better story? A cool robotic scorpion? I dunno.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Spuro wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:23 am
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:52 am I'm already seeing folks on other sites mentioning how Bayformers kept itself "free of the woke SJW agenda".
No, the series instead featured an adult man abusing "Romeo and Juliet" laws to date a teenage girl. :freak:
I’m sorry what? can you clarified about the situation?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 am
It was in the fourth movie.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Spuro wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:47 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 am

It was in the fourth movie.

oof

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Michael Bay put more effort into finding out about this loophole law than he ever has into his actual scripts.