Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 am I gotta be honest: i think i'm mostly done with the shared universe concept. Outside of a couple franchises, the idea feels like it's run it's course for the time and i want more franchises to stand on their own.
You said a mouthful. I remember wishing Tobey Mac Spider-man and the Jessica Alba FF could make little appearances in eachother's films like their comics. The Cinematic Shared Universe® concept in play today is played out.
I'm at the point where franchise movies as a whole have pretty much lost me.

Kaiju is the exception though. Godzilla might be corporate as hell (and I might be a bit of a Toho consoomer lol) but at least you can get a measure of artistry and variety from Godzilla. Even projects like the Netflix trilogy, which wasn't exactly a success, still contained interesting concepts and ideas.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

We will rock you and We are the Champions are kind of lackluster example of a segue song(s). I'm not commenting on the popularity of these songs, or even the quality of the songs themselves, but rather how underwhelming I find them as an example of segue song(s). There are much better examples of songs that play into each other, either musically or thematically in my opinion. I think this majorly comes from how each song seems to have a definite stop, and beyond superficial levels, are quite distinctly individual songs.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

'The Owl House' > 'Harry Potter'

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jean-Christophe, Prince Napoleon is the Roman Emperor.
For Emperor and Empire!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:38 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 am I gotta be honest: i think i'm mostly done with the shared universe concept. Outside of a couple franchises, the idea feels like it's run it's course for the time and i want more franchises to stand on their own.
You said a mouthful. I remember wishing Tobey Mac Spider-man and the Jessica Alba FF could make little appearances in eachother's films like their comics. The Cinematic Shared Universe® concept in play today is played out.
I'm at the point where franchise movies as a whole have pretty much lost me.
I'm kinda burnt out on the whole shared universe concept as well, but it's not Disney's fault their contracts were owned by separate companies at the time, though thankfully Spidey and FF can now crossover thanks to Disney's contract with Sony and them now owning Fox, I mean, 20th Century Studios.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

As long as we’re in the Unpopular Opinion thread, I don’t think “Well at least the X Men and Fantastic Four can be in the MCU now” comes even close to justifying Disney’s disturbing move.

I’m far more concerned about the all the potential films that will be locked in their vault as opposed to released on DVD or Blu Ray.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gotta agree with the general consensus of shared universes. The MCU has been mostly forgettable popcorn flicks only worth a one time view to stay current on the ongoing story, and the best DC movie of the past 10 years was JOKER - the one movie not in their shared universe. Even The Batman is getting out of the shared universe.

Unpopular opinion - the MCU Spider-Man movies are the weakest of the MCU movies, and rank with Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man movies for worst Spider-Man movies.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Sheer Heart Attack and A Day at the Races are better than A Night at the Opera.

Also, personally, Jazz and The Works are my favourite of their albums.
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:00 am As long as we’re in the Unpopular Opinion thread, I don’t think “Well at least the X Men and Fantastic Four can be in the MCU now” comes even close to justifying Disney’s disturbing move.

I’m far more concerned about the all the potential films that will be locked in their vault as opposed to released on DVD or Blu Ray.
Yes; I wonder what's going to be done with the Planet of the Apes franchise now, for example.

Is Disney even going to continue the new storyline we've got now, or is it just going to stop right then and there? If they do continue it, I just hope they don't "Disney-fy" it, which I'm glad they didn't do with the Star Wars franchise.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:58 pm Unpopular opinion - the MCU Spider-Man movies are the weakest of the MCU movies
I'd say this is fairly popular actually, MCU Spidey seems to be like the quirky H&M Peter Parker with the depth of a middle school locker. But since he had such a tight bond with Stark and the MCU is so massive, there's bound to be Stans who attach themselves at the hip. His films feel like Disney XD Originals, and less like the independent true-to-himself, self-raised, queens born native with a heart of steel that we've seen in the original 6 films.

People can say what they will about TASM and TASM2, but they had heart, artistic integrity, absolutely iconic scores, and a unique direction that felt like something straight from his comic books, they were faithful but had twists. Same goes for Tobey's, these films felt independent, self contained, but chocked full with content and potential. MCU Spidey feels like The Wonderful and Mischievous Adventures of the Spider Boy and his Illustrious Motley Crew

Another thing I don't get is the complaint that Garfield was a hipster and not a geek?? Is there like, a look for an introverted geek? is this still the 50s? He was a relatable geek, because they're not all stereotypical.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:14 am Sheer Heart Attack and A Day at the Races are better than A Night at the Opera.
This was very confusing to me, since two of those are Marx Brothers movie titles, and many consider A Night at the Opera to be one of their very best.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

eabaker wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 am
VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:14 am Sheer Heart Attack and A Day at the Races are better than A Night at the Opera.
This was very confusing to me, since two of those are Marx Brothers movie titles, and many consider A Night at the Opera to be one of their very best.
I’ve never seen any of the Marx Brothers films. I just love Queen.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:43 am
eabaker wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 am
I’ve never seen any of the Marx Brothers films. I just love Queen.
Whereas I've never listened to an entire Queen album. I just love The Marc Brothers.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:55 am
Vakanai wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:58 pm Unpopular opinion - the MCU Spider-Man movies are the weakest of the MCU movies
I'd say this is fairly popular actually, MCU Spidey seems to be like the quirky H&M Peter Parker with the depth of a middle school locker. But since he had such a tight bond with Stark and the MCU is so massive, there's bound to be Stans who attach themselves at the hip. His films feel like Disney XD Originals, and less like the independent true-to-himself, self-raised, queens born native with a heart of steel that we've seen in the original 6 films.

People can say what they will about TASM and TASM2, but they had heart, artistic integrity, absolutely iconic scores, and a unique direction that felt like something straight from his comic books, they were faithful but had twists. Same goes for Tobey's, these films felt independent, self contained, but chocked full with content and potential. MCU Spidey feels like The Wonderful and Mischievous Adventures of the Spider Boy and his Illustrious Motley Crew

Another thing I don't get is the complaint that Garfield was a hipster and not a geek?? Is there like, a look for an introverted geek? is this still the 50s? He was a relatable geek, because they're not all stereotypical.
H&M?
And it's been a fairly unpopular opinion elsewhere where I've expressed it.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I liked MCU Spiderman in Civil War. He was okay in Homecoming, but that film was mostly held up by the Vulture (best MCU villain, fight me). Didn’t like his portrayal in Infinity War and Endgame.

Haven’t seen Far From Home, since I stopped with Endgame.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:37 pm

H&M?
And it's been a fairly unpopular opinion elsewhere where I've expressed it.
Clothing brand lol, and that's interesting, I've had the exact opposite experience.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm
Haven’t seen Far From Home, since I stopped with Endgame.
Good choice.
For Emperor and Empire!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Lol I love all the Spidey opinions for the last couple posts, I totally agree with all of you guys!!!
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm Haven’t seen Far From Home, since I stopped with Endgame.
Honestly, I'm not the biggest MCU Spider-Man fan (so far) but I found FFH to be a great next step for the character. It gives Peter far more chances to actually be Peter without the burden of him trying so hard to be the next Avenger. It still has the elements of him following in the footsteps of Tony Stark but I think they did a far better job of working with it in FFH than Homecoming. FFH has way more of Peter being Peter which is great. Jake Gyllenhaal is also very good as Mysterio. I'd say it's definitely worth a watch just as a good Spider-Man movie, if nothing else.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Yeah, the “Iron Boy” complaints aren’t uncommon I feel.

Y’all want unpopular tho?

I think the MCU Spidey movies > Raimi trilogy.

I respect what Spider-Man 1/2 did for comic book movies, and the Spider-Man mythos, but I felt the MCU Peter has been more engaging and fun to follow. Homecoming is one of my faves, and while I feel FFH could have been better, I still found it pretty enjoyable.

Honestly SpiderVerse is my favorite of all Spidey movies, period. But between the live action picks, I’ve been more into the MCU entries. Idk if that’s a generational thing or not, but hey.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.