Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Legion1979 »

Maritonic wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:27 am
That said, ugh, coffee. No idea how people drink that stuff.
I'm averaging 3-4 cups a day. But rarely if ever enjoy it.
It amazes me how coffee drinking (and even coffee addiction) is normalized in our society. But mention you like soda? Look out! Soda shaming is very much a thing.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:53 am
It amazes me how coffee drinking (and even coffee addiction) is normalized in our society. But mention you like soda? Look out! Soda shaming is very much a thing.
Yeah, I think that has a lot to do with the culture of sugar shaming (although you get a pass on it if you're adding sugary sweeteners to coffee, so...).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

No, totally. You're absolutely right. I think eabaker is spot on; it's the sugar associated. Which, to a degree is valid.

But, no. I fully own I'm addicted to coffee. I've tried a few times to cut back, and USUALLY average two cups. But lately I've been so burnt out.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Soda > Coffee, every time.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I drink black coffee, so no one can shame me for my crippling addiction; except the doctor when he says I have high blood pressure!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jesus man. Your grumpiness over the, what, decade plus we've known each other suddenly makes sense! :P

I don't drink it black, but I do make a pot every morning and usually have a cup with breakfast and fill a thermos I drink throughout the day at work. Usually only add a flavored creamer, which I keep a variety.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Caffeine is evil. The whole damn industry around it makes my skin crawl. It isn't much better than the tobacco or alcohol industries, yet it gets a free pass to just be everywhere in our culture. Disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a 24-pack of Coke this morning. The bastards have me hooked as much as anyone. But I still don't like them.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:22 pm Caffeine is evil. The whole damn industry around it makes my skin crawl. It isn't much better than the tobacco or alcohol industries, yet it gets a free pass to just be everywhere in our culture. Disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a 24-pack of Coke this morning. The bastards have me hooked as much as anyone. But I still don't like them.
As someone with a lifelong addiction to Coca-Cola, I feel you.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I have a life-long addiction to water and milk. 8-)

Beat It is better than both Billie Jean and Thriller.
For Emperor and Empire!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Spuro wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:14 pm Soda > Coffee, every time.
Can't do it. I used to be a huge soda drinker, but I cut it out about a decade ago. Once in a blue moon I'll have one, and it is like drinking PURE sugar.

Added in 40 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:52 pm
Jesus man. Your grumpiness over the, what, decade plus we've known each other suddenly makes sense! :P

I don't drink it black, but I do make a pot every morning and usually have a cup with breakfast and fill a thermos I drink throughout the day at work. Usually only add a flavored creamer, which I keep a variety.
I drink mine black. Except during pumpkin spice season because I'm a basic white girl and need pumpkin spice injected right into my veins.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

1. One Piece has overstayed its welcome in the same vein as The Simpsons and Family Guy has. The perfect runtime for any manga is 5-10 years and any longer is just overkill.

2. Hideaki Anno in the mid 90’s should’ve made a documentary exploring depression and waited until he got over it to work on Evangelion. He could’ve won many awards and made a ton of money that could’ve saved him a ton of trouble.

3. I know that the simpler things in life mean a lot to many people, but I’m not one of them.

4. The sooner Hollywood is able to move on from Superhero films, the better. I have nothing against Superheroes, but I can name a plethora of things that deserve a comeback. Just one example is Dinosaurs and not just Jurassic Park.

5. I think Britain should abolish the monarchy and become a republic.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:55 pm 1. One Piece has overstayed its welcome in the same vein as The Simpsons and Family Guy has. The perfect runtime for any manga is 5-10 years and any longer is just overkill.

2. Hideaki Anno in the mid 90’s should’ve made a documentary exploring depression and waited until he got over it to work on Evangelion. He could’ve won many awards and made a ton of money that could’ve saved him a ton of trouble.

3. I know that the simpler things in life mean a lot to many people, but I’m not one of them.

4. The sooner Hollywood is able to move on from Superhero films, the better. I have nothing against Superheroes, but I can name a plethora of things that deserve a comeback. Just one example is Dinosaurs and not just Jurassic Park.

5. I think Britain should abolish the monarchy and become a republic.
1. Sure. I have no idea but from what I’ve heard it’s very monotonous.

2. Pure speculation and you can’t say if would have made it work

3. That’s fair. I myself just like friends and family over everything else.

4. Sure. I can get on board with that.

5. I love the monarchy so no thanks. Republics are usually more corrupt.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Voyager wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm Republics are usually more corrupt.
Certainly not historically.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Will you be willing to hear other people’s arguments against monarchism? If you ask me, monarchism is just as corruptible as any form of government. Just look as Saudi Arabia for example.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:55 pm Just one example is Dinosaurs and not just Jurassic Park.
Honestly, I feel like the only way to really try and make a unique big-budget dinosaur movie now is if you either try to make it as accurate as possible (which is something that's doomed to backfire because paleontology is ALWAYS changing) or just do a full on retro, 1920's dinosaur movie and bring those old reconstructions back to life. Having designs too similar to JP probably won't get you anywhere, unless you have everything AROUND the dinosaurs be that much more unique; and there's really only so many ways to have a reasonable plot where both dinosaurs and humans co-exist. (JP esc. genetic engineering, time-travel, dimensional travel or.. just saying skreoonk it and have them just be born together like One Million B.C did IG)
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^My proposal for how the plot of a dinosaur movie in modern days in one where dinosaurs show up resulting from a malfunction in the time-space continuum from a botched attempt at making a time-machine.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:16 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm Republics are usually more corrupt.
Certainly not historically.
In the modern era, monarchies are generally far less corrupt. In history as well, I’d also say so. There is obviously a far larger sample pool for monarchies over history, but Republics in general have been far more corrupt on average.

Napoleonic Europe’s republics, the Soviet and Communist Republics, Weimar Germany and subsequent Nazi Germany, Roman Republic, Venice, United Arab Republic, Republic of China, pretty much every Latin American country, just to name a few.

Republics also usually become the worst dictatorships, such as Lenin and Stalin’s USSR, Hitler’s Germany, and Mao’s China.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Goes to show that republics work best when they evolve naturally over time and not forced.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's a bit difficult to compare Monarchies and Republics in catch-all terms considering that most monarchies have been eliminated in industrial societies and pre-modern societies. A monarch may have had more power and absolute rule in the past, but considering how information travels and places are ruled, local leaders absolutely had more power than they do now.

In addition, it's harder to judge the average living conditions of people under the lives of monarchies of the past due to existing further back historically. I do agree that republics and "democarcies" are not innately good/work out in the way people idealize them, but despite the examples listed, I don't think they trump the sucuessful republics that have worked out well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ No, of course not, as how monarchies like Saudi Arabia should not trump ones like Norway, the UK or Denmark.
For Emperor and Empire!