Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Vakanai »

Here's an unpopular opinion - I want all current cinematic universes to end (MCU, DCEU, MonsterVerse, etc) and we go, just for a decade, back to the way things used to be where every movie didn't have to connect to every other movie. Not saying forever, but just for a little while, no blockbuster has to tie in with "a bigger universe".
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I don’t like The Matrix. I actually fell asleep watching it.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 am I don’t like The Matrix. I actually fell asleep watching it.
The Matrix is the type of movie that has lost its impact due to the movies that were influenced by it, and influenced it, becoming popular and more well known, in addition to its themes of virtual reality/internet not being so revolutionary or shocking. I think The Matrix is a great film, but it definitely hasn’t aged well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Spuro wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am

Added in 3 minutes 22 seconds:
Gigantis wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:13 am Out of every film that came out of Disney's "Experimental Era". Meet the Robinsons is the best by far.
Yes, the film that jacks off to American Imperialism and military conquest is better than an actual good movie like Lilo and Stitch.

Meet the Robinsons is one of few Disney films I really, REALLY hate.
What? Did we see the same movie? Granted I haven't seen MtR since its initial theatrical release almost 15 years ago, but I don't remember any pro-imperialism subtext.
Friends don't lie.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Beyond that one joke that Canada had become North Montana i.. really don't recall any pro-imperialist propaganda at all. And i've seen the movie like, five times already.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

Khumba is better then the Polar Express

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

The Alien (Xenomorph) should never have an origin story and should be left entirely unexplored; a total mystery.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Logan268 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:35 pm Khumba is better then the Polar Express
What's Khumba?

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:02 pm
Logan268 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:35 pm Khumba is better then the Polar Express
What's Khumba?
A South African animated film released back in 2013

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

...What does that have to do with the Polar Express...?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:35 am The Alien (Xenomorph) should never have an origin story and should be left entirely unexplored; a total mystery.
Honestly the fact it was even considered to give them an origin story is disappointing. That's not even getting into some of the retcons Ridley Scott gave the species..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Almost every Godzilla/kaiju-based Youtube channel is a complete f'n joke with channels like DangerVille taking the cake with their almost non-stop, BS clickbait videos. And I really wish Toho would come in with their big dick legal tactics and shut them down.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:22 am Almost every Godzilla/kaiju-based Youtube channel is a complete f'n joke
There's a few good ones, mostly smaller channels like blunova and Kyodai Kino. Up From the Depths and D Man are good too. There are a lot I avoid, though.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:22 am Almost every Godzilla/kaiju-based Youtube channel is a complete f'n joke
There's a few good ones, mostly smaller channels like blunova and Kyodai Kino. Up From the Depths and D Man are good too. There are a lot I avoid, though.
I'm honestly surprised TK doesn't have more of a presence on social media and Youtube. So much content that could be done.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

John Pannozzi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:29 am
Spuro wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am

Added in 3 minutes 22 seconds:
Gigantis wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:13 am Out of every film that came out of Disney's "Experimental Era". Meet the Robinsons is the best by far.
Yes, the film that jacks off to American Imperialism and military conquest is better than an actual good movie like Lilo and Stitch.

Meet the Robinsons is one of few Disney films I really, REALLY hate.
What? Did we see the same movie? Granted I haven't seen MtR since its initial theatrical release almost 15 years ago, but I don't remember any pro-imperialism subtext.
I'm curious to an explanation for this as well, but I also love Meet The Robinsons. Sure its uneven, but it's got more than enough heart to make up for it. Fantastic story, with a fantastic message in my opinion.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:22 am Almost every Godzilla/kaiju-based Youtube channel is a complete f'n joke with channels like DangerVille taking the cake with their almost non-stop, BS clickbait videos. And I really wish Toho would come in with their big dick legal tactics and shut them down.
So much this. You have to search really hard to find a channel worth a damn.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

I'd add Paper Finz, Wikizilla, the channels with the G-Fest panels, Matt Draper, Big Jack Films, Vintage Henshin Brandon Tenold and Monster Island Buddies to the list of good kaiju-related Youtubers. There also are a few decent Super Sentai/Power Rangers channels out there.
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't lie.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

John Pannozzi wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:47 pm
I'd add Paper Finz, Wikizilla, the channels with the G-Fest panels, Matt Draper, Big Jack Films, Vintage Henshin Brandon Tenold and Monster Island Buddies to the list of good kaiju-related Youtubers. There also are a few decent Super Sentai/Power Rangers channels out there.
MIB and some of Wikizilla's stuff I'll give ya.

Quote of the Year:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:48 pm Here's an unpopular opinion - I want all current cinematic universes to end (MCU, DCEU, MonsterVerse, etc) and we go, just for a decade, back to the way things used to be where every movie didn't have to connect to every other movie. Not saying forever, but just for a little while, no blockbuster has to tie in with "a bigger universe".
Does your sentiment apply to non-Hollywood films as well?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

As I've worked my way through Hammer's horror catalogue this month and reached the infamous Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, I've come to a realization.

Peter Cushing, Veronica Carlson, and Terence Fisher may hated it, but the rape scene in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is still handled with more tact than the rape scene in the shockingly beloved Young Frankenstein. Yeah, it was unneeded and shoehorned in, but at least Must Be Destroyed didn't use rape for laughs.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.