Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by goji89 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:01 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:12 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:09 am Here's a toy-related one that apparebtly most fandoms don't seem to share considering how abundant this crap is...

I HATE Funko Pops. They're ugly, they're everywhere and I'm just sick of looking at them. I'm so tired of seeing walls of these in comic stores, Hot Topics and conventions. They just need to go away.
So you hate anything that doesn't have 5 points of articulation or isn't a vinyl made from Bandai Japan.

A dying breed indeed of old figure collectors. Considering that pops have been here for nearly a decade.
...I'm sorry, what? That has absolutely nothing to do with it at all. What does Bandai Japan have to do with anything? "Dying breed"? What a bizarre response.
Just pulling your chain dude :lol:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I own a few Funkos mostly because:

- They're some of the only readily-available merchandise of franchises, characters and people I like (ex. MST3K, deadmau5, Tom from Toonami)
- They're uniquely sculpted and break the standard Funko mold (Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Alien, Baltan and Kanegon)
- They're cheap as fuck and easy to find.

Yeah I can probably buy, for example, the NECA Guillermo del Toro figure for like $120+ online...or I can just pick up the Funko for ten bucks at Walmart. They're way more affordable and accessible than most of the "higher quality" alternatives and I honestly just simply don't care that there's a better one out there. I'm really only buying them to have an affordable object representing someone or something I love. My actual figure collections are carefully curated and budgeted as far as what I want to buy and how much I want to spend on certain items. Funko Pops are a great option for me to avoid taking large chunks out of my budget and current space while still maintaining a presence for franchises, characters and celebrities I love in my collection.

I can slightly understand the annoyance at them crowding store and convention space but the hate for people collecting them or whatever from some (NOT ALL) "normal" figure collectors is pretty pathetic. It seems like it just comes from a place of gatekeeping or even jealously, like they think Funko collectors aren't REAL toy collectors or that they're envious of being able to garner a sizeable collection for little effort or money.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:26 pm I own a few Funkos mostly because:

- They're some of the only readily-available merchandise of franchises, characters and people I like (ex. MST3K, deadmau5, Tom from Toonami)
- They're uniquely sculpted and break the standard Funko mold (Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Alien, Baltan and Kanegon)
- They're cheap as skreeonk and easy to find.

Yeah I can probably buy, for example, the NECA Guillermo del Toro figure for like $120+ online...or I can just pick up the Funko for ten bucks at Walmart. They're way more affordable and accessible than most of the "higher quality" alternatives and I honestly just simply don't care that there's a better one out there. I'm really only buying them to have an affordable object representing someone or something I love. My actual figure collections are carefully curated and budgeted as far as what I want to buy and how much I want to spend on certain items. Funko Pops are a great option for me to avoid taking large chunks out of my budget and current space while still maintaining a presence for franchises, characters and celebrities I love in my collection.

I can slightly understand the annoyance at them crowding store and convention space but the hate for people collecting them or whatever from some (NOT ALL) "normal" figure collectors is pretty pathetic. It seems like it just comes from a place of gatekeeping or even jealously, like they think Funko collectors aren't REAL toy collectors or that they're envious of being able to garner a sizeable collection for little effort or money.
Yeah lol.
Some of them are pretty great and readily available it's those damn chase figures that suck. I collect mostly the flocked versions of characters. I have the Kong flocked one and the Taz Space Jam one.

Do you keep them in the box UG?

I do and keep them in the Funko acrylic cases.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:26 pm I own a few Funkos mostly because:

- They're cheap as skreeonk and easy to find.

Good counterpoint. Didn't think about the MST3K stuff, and yeah, I've seen some surprisingly "obscure" figures from franchise I might not otherwise see.
Good point about "not real collectors" too. I have a bad association with them due to knowing a bunch of people at my part time job when I was in college endlessly buying them just to resell them. I guess that's what everyone does anyway.

Added in 9 minutes 17 seconds:
Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:59 am The only one I have is the sharknado one, because its literally a shark tornado figure, and I think its awesome (regardless of my or any other's opinions on the film series).

Yeah this is pretty cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

goji89 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:38 pm Do you keep them in the box UG?

I do and keep them in the Funko acrylic cases.
I do, but mostly for space and uniformity reasons. I like the way they look atop my media shelf. The only ones I don't keep in the box are my Transformer ones, once again for space reasons.

Also forgot to mention that some of them are gifts from friends too (Vision, Wrecker) so some of them break my initial collecting "rules" for them but eh, whatever.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Count me as someone who also doesn't care much for Funko Pops.
Friends don't lie.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I have a few of them, mostly MCU and Overwatch. I mostly collected more detailed, realistic figures, but I like having some more cartoony, stylized figures just for variety, and Pops are a perfect option there. My adult toy collecting phase started with the McDonald's Clone Wars bobbleheads, so that kind of figure has had a prominent place in my collection all along.

I've given up toy collecting for the time being, due mainly to lack of space and because I want to devote the money to expanding my physical media collection, instead. There are a ton of movies and TV shows I want to see and/or own but aren't available on streaming services.* My brother still casually collects pops, though, with focus currently on Deathstroke, Overwatch, MHA, and Demon Slayer when those release in October.

*And on that note, here's another unpopular opinion: streaming services are fucking dangerous and we need to keep supporting physical media. Physically owning a film or show gives you the option of watching anytime you want, and no one is likely to take it away from you. With streaming services, you're totally at their mercy. They can drop your favorite media at a whim, no warning and nothing you can do about it. That happens to me all the time, and it gets really, tremendously old. And then you have things like Netflix's bullshit, where it automatically plays clips and trailers to ram its content down your throat, automatically skips the credits, etc. Things like that really hurt the whole viewing experience. I really don't want to live in a world where streaming has a monopoly and there's no legal alternative to dealing with whatever they decide to do.

They do have a lot of very good points, too, though. I definitely want to keep them around, but we need to keep physical media alive alongside them. Competition is always a good thing.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Couldn't have said it better myself. Studios are pushing streaming for the sole fact they don't want people actually owning their media anymore. It's about nothing more than control and maybe saving a few extra dollars here and there. I bet the amount of money they save is marginal at best but that's how greedy they are.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm not interested in Star Wars.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:13 pm I'm not interested in Star Wars.
Anymore or just in general?
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:19 pm
Anymore or just in general?
Both, I guess, but more so in general. I've seen eps 1-7 at least once each, but except for a period as a teen when I was big into video games (during which time Rogue Leader and the initial Battlefront games were released), I just haven't been interested in it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:49 pm Both, I guess, but more so in general. I've seen eps 1-7 at least once each, but except for a period as a teen when I was big into video games (during which time Rogue Leader and the initial Battlefront games were released), I just haven't been interested in it.
I'm in a similar boat...loved Star Wars as a kid, but after finally rewatching the OT as an adult, I realized the entire franchise is an overrated farce...aside from The Empire Strikes Back. Empire is an absolute masterpiece, and if it weren't so good, Star Wars would not have the kind of legs it does.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Empire Strikes Back is so glorious, and it’s the only Star Wars movie I ever come back to over and over.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:08 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:49 pm Both, I guess, but more so in general. I've seen eps 1-7 at least once each, but except for a period as a teen when I was big into video games (during which time Rogue Leader and the initial Battlefront games were released), I just haven't been interested in it.
I'm in a similar boat...loved Star Wars as a kid, but after finally rewatching the OT as an adult, I realized the entire franchise is an overrated farce...aside from The Empire Strikes Back. Empire is an absolute masterpiece, and if it weren't so good, Star Wars would not have the kind of legs it does.
I agree ESB is a very, very good movie; that said, it's not one I have much interest in revisiting at present, and I don't think I've seen it since the "Puggo" telecine appeared.

My "favorite" is probably the original film, mostly for its delicious late '70s Hollywood Renaissance aesthetic and because it truly feels like Lucas' passionate love letter to pulp sci-fi. But I haven't seen that one in years either.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

After these sequels a lot of people are not interested.

Count me as one of them. Mandolorian is good though. I'm not gonna go and say these new films raped my childhood as I've read numerous comments on that I'm just gonna say they just fucked it up for me *shrug*
But that's Hollyweird for ya.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

goji89 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:00 pm

Count me as one of them. Mandolorian is good though. I'm not gonna go and say these new films raped my childhood as I've read numerous comments on that I'm just gonna say they just fucked it up for me *shrug*
I know the sequels were extremely unpopular with many fans, but I got the impression that a lot of those same disappointed fans are *still* interested in the old movies, The Mandalorian, the non-film lore (however that's officially marketed these days), etc. On the other hand, I'm not interested in any of the above.

Also, I know this probably comes off as hipster-ish, but it's true. For the most part, no Star Wars material has really captured my fascination the way it has for literally millions of others. It's just not my thing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 pm
goji89 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:00 pm

Count me as one of them. Mandolorian is good though. I'm not gonna go and say these new films raped my childhood as I've read numerous comments on that I'm just gonna say they just skreeonked it up for me *shrug*
I know the sequels were extremely unpopular with many fans, but I got the impression that a lot of those same disappointed fans are *still* interested in the old movies, The Mandalorian, the non-film lore (however that's officially marketed these days), etc. On the other hand, I'm not interested in any of the above.

Also, I know this probably comes off as hipster-ish, but it's true. For the most part, no Star Wars material has really captured my fascination the way it has for literally millions of others. It's just not my thing.
Yeah, kinda misunderstood what you meant my bad lol. I still am interested in the old stuff just not the new. And for a while I kinda hated Star Wars as a kid not gonna lie, I thought they were boring ASF lol.

I totally get it's not your thing it wasn't mine either. I'm not that big of a fan that knows ALL the lore just what I like.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Out of every film that came out of Disney's "Experimental Era". Meet the Robinsons is the best by far.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The longer I wait for movies and shows I fell in love with to be given physical releases, like Wolfwalkers and The Mandalorian, the longer it seems like they won’t be released as a way for greedy companies to drive people to subscribe to their bullshit streaming services.

And the longer that appears like that’s the way the future of film and television is going, the more I feel like ending my hobby. Or at least, stop watching any movies or shows released after 2020. If I end up loving something but can’t even do something as simple as add it to my DVD/Bluray collection, then what’s the point? Why risk enjoying a movie or show in the coming future if I can’t even guarantee I’ll be able to own it? Best to just focus on movies and shows of the past, right?

Fuck streaming. Fuck streaming for making me regret actually enjoying things.

Added in 3 minutes 22 seconds:
Gigantis wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:13 am Out of every film that came out of Disney's "Experimental Era". Meet the Robinsons is the best by far.
Yes, the film that jacks off to American Imperialism and military conquest is better than an actual good movie like Lilo and Stitch.

Meet the Robinsons is one of few Disney films I really, REALLY hate.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Spuro wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 am And the longer that appears like that’s the way the future of film and television is going, the more I feel like ending my hobby. Or at least, stop watching any movies or shows released after 2020. If I end up loving something but can’t even do something as simple as add it to my DVD/Bluray collection, then what’s the point? Why risk enjoying a movie or show in the coming future if I can’t even guarantee I’ll be able to own it? Best to just focus on movies and shows of the past, right?
The problem you describe isn't anything new, except perhaps in regards to new media (which, since the 1980s, has typically been available for home release not too long after its initial release). In fact, there are countless movies and TV shows from before 2020 which have never been released on any video format; granted, that's only a problem if you care about those films (which are already painfully obscure), but really it's a problem that affects "catalog titles" far more than it does new releases.

Ultimately, pains me as it does to say this, we consumers aren't entitled to anything owned by other individuals or corporations. And FWIW, the problem isn't streaming (which in many ways is a godsend), it's that the copyright holders are affecting a tighter hold on some of their properties than during most of the last four decades. Part of this is simply that technology has changed in such a way that this landmark legal decision is no longer all that relevant.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.