Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Smuggers »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:41 pm I am fed up with the excess rebooting of the Godzilla franchise. I know most of you see the benefit of it, i.e allowing different creative minds have their own take on Godzilla at once and each new entry in the franchise being able to explore a different array of tones and/or styles. I understand where you're coming from, but here me out if you please. I believe stuff like that can be achieved with a singular continuity that lasts an extended period of time. I am not saying they shouldn't ever reboot the franchise again, I am just saying sometimes you need to slow down a bit.
Of the Godzilla content that has come out in the past decade (MV, Shin, anime trilogy, SP) I can't really see how any of them would have been serviced by *not* being reboots, or how them having their own continuities is a bad thing. Especially considering that they're all different mediums (American live action, Japanese live action, Anime movie, Anime TV series). If you were talking about the Millennium series then maybe I'd understand, but that was 20 years ago...
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:16 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:41 pm I am fed up with the excess rebooting of the Godzilla franchise. I know most of you see the benefit of it, i.e allowing different creative minds have their own take on Godzilla at once and each new entry in the franchise being able to explore a different array of tones and/or styles. I understand where you're coming from, but here me out if you please. I believe stuff like that can be achieved with a singular continuity that lasts an extended period of time. I am not saying they shouldn't ever reboot the franchise again, I am just saying sometimes you need to slow down a bit.
Of the Godzilla content that has come out in the past decade (MV, Shin, anime trilogy, SP) I can't really see how any of them would have been serviced by *not* being reboots, or how them having their own continuities is a bad thing. Especially considering that they're all different mediums (American live action, Japanese live action, Anime movie, Anime TV series). If you were talking about the Millennium series then maybe I'd understand, but that was 20 years ago...
They're not even reboots to begin with. Equating big Hollywood terms to a series that isn't concerned with continuity is faulty.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Smuggers wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:16 am
Of the Godzilla content that has come out in the past decade (MV, Shin, anime trilogy, SP) I can't really see how any of them would have been serviced by *not* being reboots, or how them having their own continuities is a bad thing. Especially considering that they're all different mediums (American live action, Japanese live action, Anime movie, Anime TV series).
I agree with this, I see Godzilla as a DC character, the same character goes through different events in each different continuities, like were Superman is adopted by the Soviet Union in Superman Red Son or Batman turn into a vampire in Batman Red Rain
If you were talking about the Millennium series then maybe I'd understand, but that was 20 years ago...
wow I was like 2 when final wars came out and I still feel old
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue May 11, 2021 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

There are two kinds of opinions in his world. Popular and unpopular ones. All of us have both of them. The problem however is that when the time comes win which we desire to express an unpopular opinion, we fear that we will be chastised and ridiculed so we tend to get standoffish and assert ourselves.

In theory this does seem like an effective way to get others to respect and acknowledge your opinion. Unfortunately when practiced it just comes across as acting belligerent and insulting others. I admit that I am all to-prone to this kind of attitude and I need to learn other ways to tell you people how I really feel sometimes.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I really despise Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, partially because of how much it overshadows the far superior original Universal movies in the popular public consciousness. Of course, it doesn't help matters that the movie's comedy absolutely did not work for me. Sorry, but its rape jokes were fucking disgusting.

It's without doubt the worst Mel Brooks movie I've seen.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

KK42 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm I really despise Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, partially because of how much it overshadows the far superior original Universal movies in the popular public consciousness. Of course, it doesn't help matters that the movie's comedy absolutely did not work for me. Sorry, but its rape jokes were skreeonking disgusting.

Is one of those rape jokes, as you call them, supposed to be the one where the two women sing "Oh-h-h-h, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you..."? Because if it is, I definitely never got that joke. Why are they singing it? What significance does it have in the story?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 22, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

KK42 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm I really despise Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, partially because of how much it overshadows the far superior original Universal movies in the popular public consciousness. Of course, it doesn't help matters that the movie's comedy absolutely did not work for me. Sorry, but its rape jokes were skreeonking disgusting.

Weird. I've seen the exact opposite, people know Universal but don't know that.

Yeah that was..............awkward. I will at least give it the minor benefit that if I remember it right, there was at least the vauge implications that it was consensual (at least on Elizabeth's part) but yeah, did NOT age well.

Added in 30 seconds:
mikelcho wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:14 pm
Is one of those rape jokes, as you call them, supposed to be the one where the two women sing "Oh-h-h-h, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you..."? Because if it is, I definitely never got that joke. Why are they singing it? What significance does it have in the story?
[/quote]

Actually no words.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:14 pm Is one of those rape jokes, as you call them, supposed to be the one where the two women sing "Oh-h-h-h, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you..."? Because if it is, I definitely never got that joke. Why are they singing it? What significance does it have in the story?
Both women are reacting to their first time having sex with someone with an especially large penis.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am
mikelcho wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:14 pm Is one of those rape jokes, as you call them, supposed to be the one where the two women sing "Oh-h-h-h, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you..."? Because if it is, I definitely never got that joke. Why are they singing it? What significance does it have in the story?
Both women are reacting to their first time having sex with someone with an especially large penis.
Okay, that's kind of what I thought it was, but I wasn't exactly sure.

Still, what does that have to do with rape? Please, explain.

It sounds similar to Warner Bros. recent decision to "cancel" Pepe le Pew because some people complained he's a personification of rape culture, similar to the complaints about Speedy Gonzales supposedly being a Mexican stereotype.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon May 24, 2021 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

KK42 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm I really despise Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, partially because of how much it overshadows the far superior original Universal movies in the popular public consciousness.
Hence my contempt of MST3K and their unfortunate association with the kaiju genre. Parody in general just isn't funny to me on average and I think the internet has just made it worse. Seeing every idiot spam the same one liner in comment sections is enough to make me cringe so hard my neck almost breaks.
Resized Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:02 pm
KK42 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm I really despise Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, partially because of how much it overshadows the far superior original Universal movies in the popular public consciousness.
Hence my contempt of MST3K and their unfortunate association with the kaiju genre. Parody in general just isn't funny to me on average and I think the internet has just made it worse. Seeing every idiot spam the same one liner in comment sections is enough to make me cringe so hard my neck almost breaks.
Well, that's a lot of fish. I mean I'll be back.... to finish this because I'm on break. But you must be fun at all the parties.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not usually a Mel Brooks fan, nor a fan of parodies on the whole, but I think Young Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie ever made. I think that owes largely to the sincerity of Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks' love and respect for the Universal Frankensteins, and their fidelity to the stories and style of those movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

eabaker wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:33 pm I think that owes largely to the sincerity of Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks' love and respect for the Universal Frankensteins, and their fidelity to the stories and style of those movies.
I have to agree, I've always been a huge fan of the Universal monsters and seen almost every installment. I've never felt that Young Frankenstein was anything but a genuine heartfelt tribute to the Universal horror series. Mel Brooks even obtained original equipment used in the first Frankensteins in order to be as authentic as possible, it never treats the original film with any sort of contempt or malice unless you one somehow count Mel Brook's style as disrespectful in of itself.I've certainly never thought it overshadowed the actual films and I've never met anyone online or otherwise that has thought that (Which would be quite impossible since much of the film relies on you having seen the originals to get the most impact) but maybe things are different in Canada I don't know
but I think Young Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie ever made.
What do you think about Airplane?

A sfor parodies in general, I don't mind parodies one bit.They just have to have good writing and jokes like any other story they certainly aren't "a crime against the sacredness of cinema"m or something overly hypertension serious like that. To me Its like saying National Lampoon took over and ruined the popular image of Vacations, and if a person was so swayed by a comedic work they probably never would have cared or enjoyed the original work in the first place.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:02 pm Hence my contempt of MST3K and their unfortunate association with the kaiju genre. Parody in general just isn't funny to me on average and I think the internet has just made it worse. Seeing every idiot spam the same one liner in comment sections is enough to make me cringe so hard my neck almost breaks.
Jeez man

I can appreciate being a purist but you gotta learn when to step back and just a crack a smile for once, lol
Last edited by ROMG4 on Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:02 pm Seeing every idiot spam the same one liner in comment sections is enough to make me cringe so hard my neck almost breaks.
That's why you just ignore the comment section.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:33 pm I'm not usually a Mel Brooks fan, nor a fan of parodies on the whole, but I think Young Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie ever made. I think that owes largely to the sincerity of Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks' love and respect for the Universal Frankensteins, and their fidelity to the stories and style of those movies.
Me, neither, but Spaceballs was great.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ROMG4 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:26 am
but I think Young Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie ever made.
What do you think about Airplane?
Also pretty damned funny, but personally it doesn't hold my attention as well.

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
KManX89 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 am
eabaker wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:33 pm I'm not usually a Mel Brooks fan, nor a fan of parodies on the whole, but I think Young Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie ever made. I think that owes largely to the sincerity of Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks' love and respect for the Universal Frankensteins, and their fidelity to the stories and style of those movies.
Me, neither, but Spaceballs was great.
Spaceballs has some absolute gold in it. I'm a sucker for Rick Moranis, and for references to Planet of the Apes and Alien. :)

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

The 2021 Godzilla Ride footage is the most enjoyment I've gotten from the Reiwa era (Toho content) thus far.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Void Ghidorah (King Ghidorah Anime Trilogy) is a total coward, my reasoning is when the eye piece broke, and he’s getting hurt, he retreats like a coward, only reason he ever comes to earth is when the cult leaders called out to him and where the eyepiece, so he can be indestructible when he’s not indestructible he runs away like a little female dog he is
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed May 26, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Cosbydaf wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:58 pm The 2021 Godzilla Ride footage is the most enjoyment I've gotten from the Reiwa era (Toho content) thus far.
I think the Godzilla Ride footage looks way better visually than KOTM does. KOTM has some awful vfx, meanwhile the ride looks so much more better. Especially due to the fact that there isn't a constant storm covering the monsters. Also the fight choreography was great. It was way too short, but compared to the fight in KOTM the fight between Godzilla and Ghidorah on the ride is way cooler to me.
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

KingKong2005 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:03 pm
Cosbydaf wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:58 pm The 2021 Godzilla Ride footage is the most enjoyment I've gotten from the Reiwa era (Toho content) thus far.
I think the Godzilla Ride footage looks way better visually than KOTM does. KOTM has some awful vfx, meanwhile the ride looks so much more better. Especially due to the fact that there isn't a constant storm covering the monsters. Also the fight choreography was great. It was way too short, but compared to the fight in KOTM the fight between Godzilla and Ghidorah on the ride is way cooler to me.
Agreed on all points. God, KOTM is still so, so disappointing to me to to this very day
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: