Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Spuro »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:30 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:29 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:57 am Since the fourth just came and went, I’ll say that I’m not a patriotic person. I don’t hate America, it’s just annoying to see people that are “proud to be American” as if it’s some sort of accomplishment to be here.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Not even a political thing, it just gets to be a bit too much for me sometimes, people screaming about it or whatnot.
As an American, so many American customs puzzle me.

The Pledge of Allegiance especially confuses me. We like to shit on countries like North Korea for their cultish behavior, then turn around to stand and chant our unerring devotion to a piece of cloth every school morning. It's creepy as hell.
Wait, the Pledge of Allegiance? I’m Canadian and never heard of that term before.

Do you sing the national anthem on school mornings? We do that up here.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Agree wholeheartedly.

Not even a political thing, it just gets to be a bit too much for me sometimes, people screaming about it or whatnot.

The Pledge of Allegiance especially confuses me. We like to poop on countries like North Korea for their cultish behavior, then turn around to stand and chant our unerring devotion to a piece of cloth every school morning. It's creepy as hell.
Wait, the Pledge of Allegiance? I’m Canadian and never heard of that term before.

When I was a kid, in elementary school in the 1960s and 1970s we started every day with the Pledge of Allegiance and the first (and sometimes the second) verse of "My Country 'Tis of Thee".

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Agree wholeheartedly.

The Pledge of Allegiance especially confuses me. We like to poop on countries like North Korea for their cultish behavior, then turn around to stand and chant our unerring devotion to a piece of cloth every school morning. It's creepy as hell.

The Pledge is basically what it says: pledging your loyalty to the country usually by addressing it to a flag in the classroom. It was a common practice in most places though it usually has been phased away (not in my experience, they still had us do it in high school to a flag on the morning broadcast, but then again, that was a very conservative school...)

Not usually. Basically, only at big events like graduation or public assemblies.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:13 pm Do you sing the national anthem on school mornings? We do that up here.
I'd like to highlight this statement. Mandatory patriotism, problematic or not, is hardly some American aberration. Other first world countries do the same thing.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Yeah, see, you accidentally highlighted the problem there.

PATRIOTISM is fine. Love your country, support the vets, all very good.

People who make it MANDATORY or go too far in "showing" their patriotism in dangerous ways or attacking others for not being patriotic? Thats not only not cool but it's a slipper slope to a lot worse

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:49 pm Yeah, see, you accidentally highlighted the problem there.

People who make it MANDATORY or go too far in "showing" their patriotism in dangerous ways or attacking others for not being patriotic? Thats not only not cool but it's a slipper slope to a lot worse
I'd also argue that being critical of your country is a form of patriotism in itself. Perhaps the best kind. No place can improve if its people don't acknowledged its flaws and work to make positive change.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:08 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:49 pm Yeah, see, you accidentally highlighted the problem there.

I'd also argue that being critical of your country is a form of patriotism in itself. Perhaps the best kind. No place can improve if its people don't acknowledged its flaws and work to make positive change.
What’s the point of being critical when the US of A already attained perfection the second it cut ties with the bri*ish? 8-)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:17 pm

What’s the point of being critical when the US of A already attained perfection the second it cut ties with the bri*ish? 8-)
Slavery :?
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

You're right, the British oppressed 80 countries, we only did 40!

Go us!

Added in 41 seconds:

My exact viewpoint as well.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I always saw the whole pledge thing as a dedication to the troops growing up, likely since my dad's been in the Army for 26 years. But looking back it does seem very hivemindish to praise a government I never agreed too upon birth.

But that's a whole other conversation.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m very patriotic when it comes to Australia, but I’m also very ““““patriotic”””” to other countries like the UK, France and the US.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:26 pm
I’m sorry, I can’t hear your very valid counterpoint over the sound of that war you lost against EMU’S! 8-) 8-)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:36 pm
Voyager wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:26 pm
I’m sorry, I can’t hear your very valid counterpoint over the sound of that war you lost against EMU’S! 8-) 8-)
Least we ain’t fighting OURSELVES ;)

Added in 3 minutes 6 seconds:
Also we ain’t brutally suppressing democratically elected Latin Americans.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

No, there was no accident there, I'm fully in agreement that making this stuff mandatory is absurd, hypocritical, and potentially dangerous. I just get the impression that a lot of Americans think that other free, well-off countries don't have anything like the Pledge of Allegiance, when they certainly do. We're backwards and stupid in any number of ways, yes, but so is everyone else.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Patriotism should be encouraged, in the context of your duty to your fellow countrypeople, and being critical of your government is one of the most patriotic things you can do imo. At the end of the day, a government should serve the people.
There's a difference between earnest patriotism and Patriotism™ as peddled by nationalist peabrains.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The issue is that I've seen a lot of patriotism that is based in a superiority complex often by the ignorant. After living in Japan for the past three years, and traveling the world a lot more my patriotic feelings towards the United States has increased. There's a lot of appreciate and love about America, as well as things that are very unique to the country that sets it apart, but I always find it amusing that often the so-called patriots are those that wish to take away what makes it special or don't realize exactly what makes it special beyond mind-numbingly repeating cultural memes without really getting a full understanding as to what it entails.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFan_13
Yojimbo

Post by GodzillaFan_13 »

I find the RPO Mechagodzilla and MV Mothra designs to be overrated to hell and back. the former being the Heisei poster version but half-baked and kinda a patchwork mess, and the latter just takes alot of Hollywood's Stereotypical giant bug design tropes and shoves them on Mothra.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I find Kill Bill to be one of the most overrated movies ever.
Kill Bill has about everything I dislike about Tarantino as a director. Anything of merit about those films can be found elsewhere, in The Street Fighter, Lady Snowblood, Executioners from Shaolin etc etc.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I know I’ll get castrated, hung, and crucified (in that order) for this, but…

I don’t like Citizen Kane. Sure, it shaped cinema in an insane amount of ways, but when I judge the film by itself? I just can’t get into it.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:10 pm I know I’ll get castrated, hung, and crucified (in that order) for this, but…

I don’t like Citizen Kane. Sure, it shaped cinema in an insane amount of ways, but when I judge the film by itself? I just can’t get into it.
Eh, I get it. I find it a stunning technical achievement, I think Welles is magnificent, and on the whole I think the individual scenes are well-accomplished, but it's never come together as something tremendously moving for me. And I think the "Rosebud" reveal is trite and simplistic, and directly undercuts the far better point that has just been made, which is that there is no one thing that can explain a person's whole life.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.