What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 am Fortunately for you, however, you chose to pick on atheists. I think had your post been a similar blanket condemnation of all (excuse me, "a lot") members of any minority group, you'd have been banned on the spot.
Atheist here. We seem to be easy targets. huh?

So here's something that gets on my nerves. Lately, over the past couple of years, another easy target has been autistic people. I'm going to take a risk here and admit that as someone with aspergers, I'm on the spectrum myself. Hopefully that won't affect my future interactions on here.

All too often these days I see "autistic" being used as a slur that can be used in place of a word like "stupid". I've seen – and have experienced – people looking down on even those who have high-functioning autism in the way that an adult might look down on a child. People who believe that our opinions on important matters are irrelevant, because they believe we just can't understand things the way normal people do. Even in the progressive communities, we don't get a lot of attention.

Truth is, we're not stupid. And most of us are very much aware when people treat us differently under the presumption that we're childlike and too different to notice.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

These damn gasoline prices am I right?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think the whole idea of government labeled "disorders" are just a way to make everyone feel there's something wrong with themselves. Like for example, Aspergers is labeled as "difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.", but most people have these traits as not everyone is an outgoing "People Person". Especially people with hobbies, and non-social behaviors, that's completely normal. But again I feel like everyone has their own varying degree of normal so feel free to not listen I'd get it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 15, 2021 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 am I think the whole idea of government labeled "disorders" are just a way to make everyone feel there's something wrong with themselves, and I don't think it's healthy for the individuals. Like for example, Aspergers is labeled as "difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.", but most people have these traits as not everyone is an outgoing "People Person". Especially people with hobbies, and non-social behaviors, that's completely normal.
There is just...so much to unpack here it's overwhelming.

I foresee this turning into yet another heated discussion, so please just. Be cool.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That specific example was also taken off of the DSM in 2013.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 am I think the whole idea of government labeled "disorders" are just a way to make everyone feel there's something wrong with themselves, and I don't think it's healthy for the individuals. Like for example, Aspergers is labeled as "difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.", but most people have these traits as not everyone is an outgoing "People Person". Especially people with hobbies, and non-social behaviors, that's completely normal.
I'll try to say this as politely as possible: the scientists who devote their lives to researching various neuro, neurodevelopmental, and behavioral disorders just understand this on an infinitely more complex level than you do.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:39 am
I'll try to say this as politely as possible: the scientists who devote their lives to researching various neuro, neurodevelopmental, and behavioral disorders just understand this on an infinitely more complex level than you do.
Okay Terasawa

Added in 2 minutes 56 seconds:
I just feel like no one should be/feel outcasted for being a little different just because somebody slips you a piece of paper saying you are. We're all humans at the end of the day and we need to support one another.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 15, 2021 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:07 am These damn gasoline prices am I right?
Horrible! Horrendous! Completely on my nerves, goji, thank you for bringing it up!
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:44 am I just feel like no one should be/feel outcasted for being a little different just because somebody slips you a piece of paper saying you are. We're all humans at the end of the day and we need to support one another.
And my question is why do you think you have to authority to overrule the diagonses of trained medical professionals? How are you so certain that those people don't really have Asperger's (or related syndromes) and are just "a little different?" Why do you think it's a matter of trying to ostracize those individuals and not simply a matter of trying to provide them the help they actually need?
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat May 15, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:44 am
Okay Terasawa

I just feel like no one should be/feel outcasted for being a little different just because somebody slips you a piece of paper saying you are. We're all humans at the end of the day and we need to support one another.
Speaking only from personal experience, I realized I was different, and that people treated me as their lesser because of it, well before I learned I had aspergers syndrome.

It wasn't learning what I had that made me feel like an outcast. If anything, learning why I was different was a comfort. I'd rather know than not know.

It was actually being treated as an outcast, that contributed to that feeling. And that's what I was trying to talk about in my original post.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KK42 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:53 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:44 am

Okay Terasawa

Speaking only from personal experience, I realized I was different, and that people treated me as their lesser because of it, well before I learned I had aspergers syndrome.

It wasn't learning what I had that made me feel like an outcast. If anything, learning why I was different was a comfort. I'd rather know than not know.

It was actually being treated as an outcast, that contributed to that feeling. And that's what I was trying to talk about in my original post.
Yeah I'm sorry if my original post came off disrespectful in any way. Its just that certain syndromes like Aspergers feel incredibly vague in concept, which makes me (and people i'm friends with) question whether we have it or not. Like the idea of repetition in the day to day, non-social behaviors etc. It just feels like a way to label others who may not be the typical outgoing jolly types to me. Again I apologize if I came off as if none of it exists and it's one big govt conspiracy lol
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:01 amAgain I apologize if I came off as if none of it exists and it's one big govt conspiracy lol
This is how I read your original post. My apologies for misunderstanding and especially if I came across as disrespectful in my responses.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:09 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:01 amAgain I apologize if I came off as if none of it exists and it's one big govt conspiracy lol
This is how I read your original post. My apologies for misunderstanding and especially if I came across as disrespectful in my responses.
It's okay, I apologize as well. I know it's a sensitive topic, so I should've worded it more specifically.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I actually getting afraid if the government banned games over violence
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat May 15, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:37 am I actually getting afraid if the government banned game over violence
Which game?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:49 am
Horrible! Horrendous! Completely on my nerves, goji, thank you for bringing it up!
It's like can a brother catch a break. $3.50 for a gallon and my ass driving a Ford150..... I'm thinking of starting an OnlyFans to afford gas money.

I'll take requests ........just be gentle UwU

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 am I'm thinking of starting an OnlyFans to afford gas money.
I'd subscribe.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 am
Maritonic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:49 am
It's like can a brother catch a break. $3.50 for a gallon and my ass driving a Ford150..... I'm thinking of starting an OnlyFans to afford gas money.

I'll take requests ........just be gentle UwU
You truly are an enigma. ‘89

At one moment 37, and at another 12
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:52 am
goji89 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 am I'm thinking of starting an OnlyFans to afford gas money.
I'd subscribe.
:shock:

*starts sobbing slowly and gently taking off my shirt*

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

KK42 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:47 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:37 am I actually getting afraid if the government banned game over violence
Which game?
Like Violent video games in general like call of duty, residents evil and other
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat May 15, 2021 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.