What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
ROMG4
G-Grasper

Re: What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

Post by ROMG4 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:01 pm Been out of the TK loop for a while. Been doing most of my Godzilla talk on Facebook as of late. While there's still some dopes on there, I've noticed that I like the discussion better on there than on a message board type environment. It seems when you have a discussion with actual people with their real names as opposed to anonymous screen names the convos seem to be less hostile and passive aggressive. I still think TK serves a purpose but I can see why the message board format isn't as popular as it used to be.
Yeah I have to agree with ya. While I've never used Facebook I've gone to a number of other forums since I stopped being consistently active here, and I have to say TK has probably the least fun and chill atmosphere out of all of them along with the highest amount of member burnout by far. Like I've been to AVPgalaxy, I've been to various Universal monster/classic horror forums, Star Wars, and I've occasionally looked at Transformers, Marvel, Tomb Raider, heck even Reddit boards, etc TK surpasses them all especially in the amount of drama

TK forums also lack a lot of basic QOL features like the ability to upload images directly to the site. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy coming to TK, seeing new announcements and all that as well as what everyone around here thinks, and especially the main site. However I certainly don't stick around as much as I used to
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I find it very difficult to believe a Star Wars board could be better than TK. In my personal experience that fandom has been unbelievable awful to deal with for the past fifteen or so years. Like the wrong movie in the wrong crowd and you can expect to be endlessly harassed, belittled, and have your intelligence called into question.

I’d sooner join a message board about Barbie dolls than Star Wars.

*Better, not worse. Ugh, that's what I get for making a post right after I wake up, lol.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:22 am I find it very difficult to believe a Star Wars board could be worse than TK. In my personal experience that fandom has been unbelievable awful to deal with for the past fifteen or so years. Like the wrong movie in the wrong crowd and you can expect to be endlessly harassed, belittled, and have your intelligence called into question.

I’d sooner join a message board about Barbie dolls than Star Wars.
Hell, I'd argue that most of TK's salt comes from its Star Wars thread.

See also: the nuclear fallout from The Last Jedi and everyone screaming for Kathleen Kennedy/Rian Johnson's blood
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

I literally cannot discuss my favorite game in anything but private chats with friends or family because the forums and subreddits about it are so ungodly toxic.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:01 pm Been out of the TK loop for a while. Been doing most of my Godzilla talk on Facebook as of late. While there's still some dopes on there, I've noticed that I like the discussion better on there than on a message board type environment. It seems when you have a discussion with actual people with their real names as opposed to anonymous screen names the convos seem to be less hostile and passive aggressive. I still think TK serves a purpose but I can see why the message board format isn't as popular as it used to be.
Except for one private, limited-membership Facebook group, that hasn't been my experience with Facebook at all.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:22 am I find it very difficult to believe a Star Wars board could be better than TK. In my personal experience that fandom has been unbelievable awful to deal with for the past fifteen or so years.
Like all things it just depends where you look. In my personal experience while I've met a number of uncool folks in the SW fanbase (Mostly TCW fans, but that's a meaningless tangent for this conversation) I've also met way more really cool people, and made quite a number of friends in there.

This type of rationale is something I really don't get, It would be like me blaming the Godzilla fanbase because of TK's drama incidents as if the collective fanbase is somehow at fault for those hacking incidents, Footwars, Leek wars, pretty much the entire monsterverse section, SHMA thread, and Reiwa, rather than it just being our small corner of the wider fanbase. Both the Godzilla and Star wars fanbase is so much larger than the small sample sizes we have interacted with, the only main connection between these disconnected groups is that all share an interest in the series. So yes, regardless of our own bias presuming there's not a single Star wars board, group, chat, or whatever has a chiller community than TK is being silly and presuming all the SW boards are better than TK, or that they haven't had drama is even dumber and I never said or thought that.
belittled, and have your intelligence called into question.
Like you did to me in that star wars thread a while ago when we were talking about BF2 for pretty much no reason?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:45 am See also: the nuclear fallout from The Last Jedi and everyone screaming for Kathleen Kennedy/Rian Johnson's blood
"Overlord DVD is on the rise! He's got Kathleen's personal mail list to Rian johnson and she is to be disposed with George lucas viscerally murdering her while also crowning Dave filoni as the God king of star wars!" "The female order shall CRUMBLE"

Its so silly that its comic relief now
Beast Blood wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:57 pm I literally cannot discuss my favorite game in anything but private chats with friends or family because the forums and subreddits about it are so ungodly toxic.
Ah that sucks, why are so many people in the community toxic?
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:49 pm
belittled, and have your intelligence called into question.
Like you did to me in that star wars thread a while ago when we were talking about BF2 for pretty much no reason?
Last I checked, it was the other way around.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I see a fight brewing here. Let's not, shall we?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla21 totally has a point about people being less toxic when there's an easily identifiable face/person behind that avatar. I suspect that a lot of people on the internet wouldn't be saying the same thing they were, one way or another, if it weren't for anonymity. Terasawa is also right though that people can still be just as shitty regardless.

That being said, while I have nothing to really hide, I enjoy having my interests in Godzilla and movies separate from Facebook which I primarily use to contact close friends and family from the past. I enjoy that separation, and I'm sure many others feel that way as well. The other thing is that because of the "thread" format, it's easy to see how your own, or others, tastes over movies have evolved and changed over time. Because of the forums simple layout, long-form paragraph replies and conversations are also infinitely more doable. I can imagine typing out some of the longer stuff and someone going "you gonna write your life story?"

While everything is impermanent conversations on Facebook and other social media feel infinitely more so. It's nice having a sense of continuity and it's why I enjoy using TK's forums, even well before getting more involved with the fandom.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I also find that the thread format on most message boards works better - graphically, as well as culturally - for fostering in-depth conversation and analysis.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Admin edit: You were told to not stir up a fight. So let's not.
Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:53 pm That being said, while I have nothing to really hide, I enjoy having my interests in Godzilla and movies separate from Facebook which I primarily use to contact close friends and family from the past. I enjoy that separation, and I'm sure many others feel that way as well. The other thing is that because of the "thread" format, it's easy to see how your own, or others, tastes over movies have evolved and changed over time. Because of the forums simple layout, long-form paragraph replies and conversations are also infinitely more doable. I can imagine typing out some of the longer stuff and someone going "you gonna write your life story?"

While everything is impermanent conversations on Facebook and other social media feel infinitely more so. It's nice having a sense of continuity and it's why I enjoy using TK's forums, even well before getting more involved with the fandom.
This is exactly the reason I stick to internet forums as opposed to facebook groups or reddit. It's so much easier to navigate too. I'm still not sure how to search up old topics on reddit's wonky search system, or if such a thing is even possible.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:20 am TK forums also lack a lot of basic QOL features like the ability to upload images directly to the site. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy coming to TK, seeing new announcements and all that as well as what everyone around here thinks, and especially the main site. However I certainly don't stick around as much as I used to
This kind of sums up how I feel about TK. Its cool to visit sometimes but anything more than a quick visit is enough to remind me of why I don't come around as much. I mean look at this page alone and you already see typical annoying bickering and a mod stepping in. I've seen so much turnover here in my 10 years on the site. Seen a lot of people come and go. I've talked to several on Facebook too and the reasons people leave are all over the place.

Added in 45 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:22 am I’d sooner join a message board about Barbie dolls than Star Wars.
I don't go NEAR that fandom. Just toxic on all sides.

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:32 pm Except for one private, limited-membership Facebook group, that hasn't been my experience with Facebook at all.
Well that's too bad. As I said I've been doing it more lately and its been a breath of fresh air. Just the other day there was a semi fight that broke out about the merits of GvK and how its affects bringing in younger fans. By the end the two guys apologized to each other for being heated and found common ground. Something I rarely see here. Just so much hostility and a lack of people skills on the part of some here.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 pm
ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:20 am TK forums also lack a lot of basic QOL features like the ability to upload images directly to the site. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy coming to TK, seeing new announcements and all that as well as what everyone around here thinks, and especially the main site. However I certainly don't stick around as much as I used to
This kind of sums up how I feel about TK. Its cool to visit sometimes but anything more than a quick visit is enough to remind me of why I don't come around as much. I mean look at this page alone and you already see typical annoying bickering and a mod stepping in. I've seen so much turnover here in my 10 years on the site. Seen a lot of people come and go. I've talked to several on Facebook too and the reasons people leave are all over the place.

Added in 45 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:22 am I’d sooner join a message board about Barbie dolls than Star Wars.
I don't go NEAR that fandom. Just toxic on all sides.

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:32 pm Except for one private, limited-membership Facebook group, that hasn't been my experience with Facebook at all.
Well that's too bad. As I said I've been doing it more lately and its been a breath of fresh air. Just the other day there was a semi fight that broke out about the merits of GvK and how its affects bringing in younger fans. By the end the two guys apologized to each other for being heated and found common ground. Something I rarely see here. Just so much hostility and a lack of people skills on the part of some here.
We're Godzilla fans brl, we settle disputes like he does. Godzilla ripped his best friend's throat out over who's side of the island was closer to Japan in 55 😆.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:53 pm Godzilla21 totally has a point about people being less toxic when there's an easily identifiable face/person behind that avatar. I suspect that a lot of people on the internet wouldn't be saying the same thing they were, one way or another, if it weren't for anonymity. Terasawa is also right though that people can still be just as shitty regardless.

That being said, while I have nothing to really hide, I enjoy having my interests in Godzilla and movies separate from Facebook which I primarily use to contact close friends and family from the past. I enjoy that separation, and I'm sure many others feel that way as well. The other thing is that because of the "thread" format, it's easy to see how your own, or others, tastes over movies have evolved and changed over time. Because of the forums simple layout, long-form paragraph replies and conversations are also infinitely more doable. I can imagine typing out some of the longer stuff and someone going "you gonna write your life story?"

Agree with most of this and when i said earlier that TK still has a place my purpose was saying that the format CAN foster an easier way to discuss the films. The format does have an advantage over Facebook. But to me that advantage is negated by the actual discussion and actions of the participants. I am on a Dodge truck owners forum and there are almost never any fights, any mod intervention. So I give the edge in format to TK, but in behavior to social media.

I'm actually opposite of you on Facebook and I care LESS about what family and friends say and I focus more on my Groups lol. Too much politics these days.

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:27 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:53 pm That being said, while I have nothing to really hide, I enjoy having my interests in Godzilla and movies separate from Facebook which I primarily use to contact close friends and family from the past. I enjoy that separation, and I'm sure many others feel that way as well. The other thing is that because of the "thread" format, it's easy to see how your own, or others, tastes over movies have evolved and changed over time. Because of the forums simple layout, long-form paragraph replies and conversations are also infinitely more doable. I can imagine typing out some of the longer stuff and someone going "you gonna write your life story?"

This is exactly the reason I stick to internet forums as opposed to facebook groups or reddit. It's so much easier to navigate too. I'm still not sure how to search up old topics on reddit's wonky search system, or if such a thing is even possible.
Reddit's wonky search system? Have you tried THIS place's search system?? Equally as wonky.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 pm Reddit's wonky search system? Have you tried THIS place's search system?? Equally as wonky.

"Nope, can't search that! Each word must consist of at least 6 characters!"

"Nope! Can't search that either! The words were too common!"

X_X

Still, I've had more luck with it than Reddit's, so there's that.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

While its on topic of forums vs. FB groups. I've been part of the online forum community for going on 20 years now, with exposure to GojiStomp, Rodan's Roost/Kaijuphile and, of course, TK. I will take any one of them, even current TK (which is honestly better than most prior TK "eras"), over any FB group I'm in by far.

My main problem with FB groups is that they are all virtually the same. New DVD/Blu-Ray comes out? Get ready to have your feed flooded with pictures of the case and the same handful of statements. "Its out!" "I never seen it before!" "Anybody else pick it up"? No man. Nobody. Not a single soul in a Godzilla/tokusatsu knew this wide release was coming and nobody else has seen it. You're the first. Congrats. Not a single fan in the US has ever even heard of Ultraman, *in Hank Hill voice* let me tell ya' what. You can find the same post from the same people with the same exact typos repeated in multiple groups and it is beyond obnoxious. Jesus Christ, there's *STILL* people just randomly posting that they picked up Godzilla vs. Kong. Nobody f'n cares.

Having now been part of a handful of groups for a while, I can't understand how anyone would think any of them are as good as a good, ole fashion message board. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the people I've crossed paths with directly, but holy shit. Between the same repeated posts, the constant repeats of the same news everyone knows and was posted 100 times already and the constant influx of "art"...

God forbid there is ANY actual news from a new movie. 'Cause it's just a constant flood of the same f'n thing for days on end. Toy groups are even worse. Can't wait for my feed to get hit with the same screen shots and advertisements for Super 7's Ultimate Godzilla line. I'll probably be bailing in more than one group.

TK has all of those same problems in some capacity as well. But the big difference is each thing is then categorized in a proper thread. Scroll through most FB groups and you'll find something like this.

- An announcement that was recently made.
- Random kaiju picture.
- Same announcement that was recently made, posted now by somebody else.
- Same announcement that was recently made, posted now by somebody else, only now adding an opinion.
- Someone bitching about said announcement.
- Something actually interesting.
- Random kaiju picture.
- Artwork, either someone's own bad artwork or something being reposted from Matt Frank or Bob Eggleton.
- Random kaiju picture.
- Artwork, either someone's own bad artwork or something being reposted from Matt Frank or Bob Eggleton.
- Same announcement that was recently made, posted now by somebody else, only now adding an opinion.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Idk how accurate that is to Facebook (haven't been in a public FB Godzilla group for the better part of a decade) but it's a perfect summary of r/Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:50 pm Idk how accurate that is to Facebook (haven't been in a public FB Godzilla group for the better part of a decade) but it's a perfect summary of r/Godzilla.
Not quite, it doesn’t have “painfully unfunny meme”, then it’d be perfect.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:18 pm
Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:50 pm Idk how accurate that is to Facebook (haven't been in a public FB Godzilla group for the better part of a decade) but it's a perfect summary of r/Godzilla.
Not quite, it doesn’t have “painfully unfunny meme”, then it’d be perfect.
Knew I forgot something. I've tried Reddit - once, for Mortal Kombat. Never again. So as I said, I can't wrap my head around how any Godzilla fan prefers FB groups over a message board. Sure, TK has its issues. And it WOULD be great if there was an real, alternative forum that wasn't as PG. But the groups are like getting a constant tidal wave of useless BS that you already know with the very rare "that's neat" type of thing thrown in to keep you checking back now and then.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?