The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Kiryu2012
Keizer

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Oh yeah, I've heard about that discovery. I could imagine the kind of ideas artists might get with that.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

a new research paper on Italian theropod family trees is gaining traction for it's controversial hypothesis: the Compsognathide family isn't a monophyletic group of animals all descended from each other with the same body plan, but a polyphyletic one with multiple different animals coming up with the same body plan despite not being related. The paper furthermore argues of the potential that some compsognathides are actually misidentified infant dinosaurs which had similar body plans due to the niches they filled, namely arguing that the famously well perserved juvenile compsognathide Scipyonyx is actually a infant carcharodontosaur based on the dating of the rocks and related fauna.

RIP Evan.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

A new species of Asian Carcharodontosaur that was discovered in the 80's has now been examined and described:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripid ... hp&pc=U531

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:49 am a new research paper on Italian theropod family trees is gaining traction for it's controversial hypothesis: the Compsognathide family isn't a monophyletic group of animals all descended from each other with the same body plan, but a polyphyletic one with multiple different animals coming up with the same body plan despite not being related. The paper furthermore argues of the potential that some compsognathides are actually misidentified infant dinosaurs which had similar body plans due to the niches they filled, namely arguing that the famously well perserved juvenile compsognathide Scipyonyx is actually a infant carcharodontosaur based on the dating of the rocks and related fauna.
By god. This… this is truely life changing!
For Emperor and Empire!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

I don't post here usually. The subject of Paleontology fascinated me as a child in the 1980's, before Jurassic Park was even written. However, for reasons I will not waste time going into, I decided not to go to college and pursue this path. I still enjoy the subject on some level, however, when you dive into the history and the ego's of scientists, greed, and misinformation, that is really a lot of what turned me off. Now I'm not saying all Paleontologists are fame hunting crooks. I've met several very respectable ones. However, seeing articles like this, they are just very disingenuous.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/res ... 21345.html

The headline is very misleading. In fact I'd say it's downright false. Also, many "discoveries" that have to be walked back weeks, months, or years later, you usually don't hear about those things. So frustrating. All I can say is for genuine enthusiasts, and those pursuing a course in this field: Science is all about Facts. Yes there are theories that may or may not be proven true at some point, and that is fine, as long as you make that solidly known. Jumping to conclusions just for the sake of sensationalism is never good.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

You realize paleontologists aren't the ones writing articles for Yahoo Entertainment, right?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

A new species of Carnivorous dinosaur has been uncovered in Uzbekistan. It has a sorta stupid name if you ask me : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6166455

Would've it killed them to name it Uzbekisaurus?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:53 pm A new species of Carnivorous dinosaur has been uncovered in Uzbekistan. It has a sorta stupid name if you ask me : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6166455

Would've it killed them to name it Uzbekisaurus?
Ah yes, naming a dinosaur after an important historical figure from the region, whose moniker also loosely translates to "Great Ruler", is such a stupid thing to do. Should've totally just named it "Geographic Location Lizard #46735872" instead.

/s
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Checked out Museum of the Rockies (Jack Horner's stomping grounds) the other day, I hadn't been there since I was a kid. They have a lot of cool new stuff!

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

SoggyNoodles2016

New African ankylosaur Spicomellus making headlines for two reasons: it's the oldest known hailing from the Middle Jurassic (and coexisted with the oldest stegosaurs funny enough), but it breaks the mold of ankylosaurs with armor on their skins by having spikes growing from it's ribs

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:46 am New African ankylosaur Spicomellus making headlines for two reasons: it's the oldest known hailing from the Middle Jurassic (and coexisted with the oldest stegosaurs funny enough), but it breaks the mold of ankylosaurs with armor on their skins by having spikes growing from it's ribs

Your image is broken.

Still, is this one of the few times an Ankylosaurand Stegosauru existed together? I think them being in the same area were kinda rare.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Three new dinosaurs in one day!

From the Isle of Wright, we have Two new spinosaurs: Ceratosuchops and Riparovenator )Rip has the first long tail in the family that Spino made famous with their fin and Cerato has horn like protrusions on the nostrils and eye, hence the name) while from New Mexico, we have Sierraceratops, a chasmosaurine with strange features suggesting it and it's Mexican cousins evolved differently due to being in a different ecosystem then North American species.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Oh great, another dinosaur with Venator in its name lol
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SoggyNoodles2016

Lol its far too common.

Also, can't find a source, but apparently they found evidence the reason Rexy has such a heavily built skull with no horns like Daspletosaurus is because they may have headbutted for dominace which imo, is very rad.

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

How you you people feel about the idea of various extinct Prehistoric saber-toothed animals such as Smilodon having their lips overlapping their canines? I think it makes practical sense, because always having them exposed like in most depictions will cause wear and tear on them.

Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

That's almost certainly how it actually was. Every modern cat has lips that fully cover its teeth, even the borderline-sabertoothed clouded leopard. No reason to think their extinct relatives were any different.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

A set of Texas sauropod tracks that were described a couple of years ago may support the old theory of them being able to swim or punt:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... hp&pc=U531

That and a new hadrosaur genus was recently discovered in southern Missouri, a state not typically associated with dinosaur finds:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/show- ... d=msedgntp

SoggyNoodles2016

New ankylosaur from Chile Stegouros has a unique ax like tail.

Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:51 pm New ankylosaur from Chile Stegouros has a unique ax like tail.

glavenus

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

This was from a while ago but don't think anyone shared this.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/24/worl ... pe-dna-scn

Some Ice Age megafauna had apparently survived much longer then previously thought. Notably mammoths that isolated populations on mainland Siberia persisted until 3,900 years ago. Roughly around the same time as the Wrangel Island mammoths.

Man, I've always had this fascination of relict populations of prehistoric animals surviving longer especially into historic times. Notable cases such as dire wolves in the Ozarks until 4000 years ago, cave lions in the Balkans until 2000 years ago (Though those lions may have been more closely related to Asiatic lions) the time when Jesus Christ was born, ground sloths such as mylodon in South America until 5300 years ago or Caribbean ground sloths up to the 15th/16th century (There were claims from Spanish explorers having encountered large shaggy beasts which fit these descriptions).

The list goes on.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.