The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Meet Dakota. An insanely well preserved Edmontosaur mummy. Huge swaths of the skin have been beautifully preserved. It's pretty insane.

https://twitter.com/TyrantLzrdQueen/sta ... 921AA&s=19
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Very nice. Weird that it's almost always Edmontosaurus that gets preserved this well, but at least there's going to be one dinosaur species we have a very clear understanding of.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:58 pm Meet Dakota. An insanely well preserved Edmontosaur mummy. Huge swaths of the skin have been beautifully preserved. It's pretty insane.

https://twitter.com/TyrantLzrdQueen/sta ... 921AA&s=19
Is it possible that they could determine the creature's skin-color with this specimen?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Now if only they could find a T. Rex mummy.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The Spino, the Charchar, and the Abel. Alright, that's almost every big theropod genus so far. Now all we need is their to (somehow) be a Tyrannosaur relative. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Meraxes, a brand new large South American Carcharodontosaur has been discovered. One of the most complete ever found.

https://www.microsoftnewskids.com/en-us ... ar-AAZlqNW
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Man I love Spinosaurus and Allosaurus. Two coolest Dinos!
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So, back in 1663 Germany, someone found some of the bones of a Wooly Rhino. They apparently thought it was a Unicorn, and Magdeburg Unicorn was named as such.

.. IDK, I just though the idea of a creature walking around looking like that is hilarious. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

You could argue that our understanding of dinosaurs between now and 1993 has changed as drastically between then and the early 20th century. Anyone care to speculate how it could change even further in the decades to come?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, we don't have as steep a mountain to climb as was done during the Dinosaur Renaissance. Paleontologists then were going from a cartoonishly wrong starting point of dinosaurs as primitive monsters lurching toward their inevitable replacement by advanced mammals, to an understanding that dinosaurs were real animals as advanced and diverse as anything alive today. What's happened since that time has largely been refinement of that concept and the weeding out of what outdated ideas remained.

Barring some paradigm shifting new discovery that might be dug up tomorrow, the foreseeable future will be about the same basic idea: taking what we know (or think we know) and adding onto it. Filling in details. Fixing old errors. That kind of thing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:30 am Well, we don't have as steep a mountain to climb as was done during the Dinosaur Renaissance. Paleontologists then were going from a cartoonishly wrong starting point of dinosaurs as primitive monsters lurching toward their inevitable replacement by advanced mammals, to an understanding that dinosaurs were real animals as advanced and diverse as anything alive today. What's happened since that time has largely been refinement of that concept and the weeding out of what outdated ideas remained.

Barring some paradigm shifting new discovery that might be dug up tomorrow, the foreseeable future will be about the same basic idea: taking what we know (or think we know) and adding onto it. Filling in details. Fixing old errors. That kind of thing.
Do you have any predictions?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:37 am Do you have any predictions?
Eh, I dunno. I'll have to think about it. I imagine we'll find more ceratopsian species in Asia; Sinoceratops having been alone over there is unlikely.

Spinosaurus will probably turn out to have had compound eyes and tentacles.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:37 am Do you have any predictions?
An upright carnivorous dinosaur with boney plates along its back will be discovered. Its resemblance to Godzilla will spark renewed interest from the public and push distributors to resolve contract issues of Godzilla movies (or audio translations of Godzilla movies) thad had previously been out-of-print.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One dream of mine is that one day, they could find the mummified remains of a T-Rex.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mark Witton is teasing a new book: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2022 ... -blog.html

From the hints he's dropping, it seems to be focused on T. rex and/or tyrannosaurs generally. Hopefully it's as awesome as his pterosaur book was!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Is it fiction or non-fiction?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:19 pm ^Is it fiction or non-fiction?
Mark Witton is a paleontologist, so definitely nonfiction.