Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

You can argue that an authoritarian dictatorship of any kind is a monarchy, whether lacking in name or not.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:08 am You can argue that an authoritarian dictatorship of any kind is a monarchy, whether lacking in name or not.
Absolute monarchies, maybe, but other forms like Limited and Constitutional Monarchies, no.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

One Piece's arc structure is really starting to grate on me. How many times do they have to recycle the "save the princess" plot over and over again. I am burned out by it man.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:46 am One Piece's arc structure is really starting to grate on me. How many times do they have to recycle the "save the princess" plot over and over again. I am burned out by it man.
I swear, Oda must really get off on whatever new story-prolonging idea pops into his head. Why can't he subvert the odd trope now and then?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Perhaps 3D printing could revitalize practical effects

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:11 pm ^Perhaps 3D printing could revitalize practical effects
.........how?

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

3-D Printing is only really good for reliably making multiple copies or copies with minute detail changes. No way would it play a significant role in practical effects.

The only time I recall 3-D Printing actually streamlining movie production is in that Paranorman movie.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Constantly pumping out something new and going in different directions can become just as stale as recycling older material.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Frozen>Tangled.

Think Frozen had the stronger leads, the better songs, animation is stunning and I liked the moral behind it. Tangled is a good film in its own right (With a great villain in Gothel) but if given the choice to watch one or the other I always lean to Frozen.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I like retro-styled dinosaurs more than modern and 90s-2000s style. Burian’s artwork is very excellent in capturing this essence.
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:27 am I don't hate breakfast but it's far from my favorite meal. I'm also not interested in eating anything at 6:30am before I leave for work. If I have breakfast at most I'll eat a buttered bagel or cereal. I usually eat breakfast because I have to, not because I want to. When I do eat a stereotypical breakfast of things like eggs, bacon and whatever, it's for dinner

That said, ugh, coffee. No idea how people drink that stuff.
Legion1979, I know you and I have alot of disagreements on Tokusatsu entertainment, but coffee is definitely not a disagreement between us. It's disgusting and not buying the stuff means we have more money for merchandise.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I don't drink coffee either.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:38 pm Frozen>Tangled.

Think Frozen had the stronger leads, the better songs, animation is stunning and I liked the moral behind it. Tangled is a good film in its own right (With a great villain in Gothel) but if given the choice to watch one or the other I always lean to Frozen.
Mother Gothel was a true gem of a villain—and unfortunately, a last echo of a bygone age.

An age when Disney villains killed people. Not just mustache-twirling pricks with a bark worse than their bite (looking at you, Tangled: The Series), they were straight-up murderers.

I want Disney villains to be scary again.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Why not have a villain who’s an actual princess?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:05 pm ^Why not have a villain who’s an actual princess?
From my understanding this was the direction frozen was originally headed until the let it go song was written and production changed elsa to what she was in the film.
He Jock it Made of Steel

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:05 pm ^Why not have a villain who’s an actual princess?
I mean...sure? As long as she doesn't fuck around and actually kills people, then fine.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:03 am
I mean...sure? As long as she doesn't skreeonk around and actually kills people, then fine.
I mean, in fairness, not even many classic villains killed people. Off the top of my head about the only one who actually killed someone on screen was Scar. There was attempted murder but even newer villains like Hans can say that.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

godjacob wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:11 am
I mean...sure? As long as she doesn't skreeonk around and actually kills people, then fine.
I mean, in fairness, not even many classic villains killed people. Off the top of my head about the only one who actually killed someone on screen was Scar. There was attempted murder but even newer villains like Hans can say that.
I mean...kinda. Frollo, Mother Gothel, the Tyrannosaurus Rex from Fantasia, Scar, Sabor, Clayton, Gaston, the Evil Queen from Snow White is a pretty decent list all things considered. And yes, I counted Gothel, the Evil Queen and Gaston because even though there were last-minute resurrections in the end, they still succeeded beforehand.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:20 am
godjacob wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:11 am

I mean...kinda. Frollo, Mother Gothel, the Tyrannosaurus Rex from Fantasia, Scar, Sabor, Clayton, Gaston, the Evil Queen from Snow White is a pretty decent list all things considered. And yes, I counted Gothel, the Evil Queen and Gaston because even though there were last-minute resurrections in the end, they still succeeded beforehand.
Some of those you list I go more "ehhh" personally and also I think Clayton alone is proof enough that just having a villain who kills doesn't make them more interesting. One of the most bland Disney villains ever.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I think mandatory military service could be helpful in modern society.

Added in 2 hours 4 minutes :
Heroes will always be cooler than villains.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!