Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

KingKong2005 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:43 am Never seen a single Scorsese, Tarantino, or gangster movie that I enjoy.
Actually agree quite a bit here. Any Scorsese film I've enjoyed (The Age of Innocence, Taxi Driver, Bringing out the Dead, etc.) are all decidedly non gangster flicks.

Only gangster film I've ever had any love for is State of Grace, which is more or less forgotten cause it had the misfortune of being released a week or two before Goodfellas. Shame cause it has probably my favorite performance by Gary Oldman.
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:20 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:32 am
godzillafan1954 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:32 pm

Do you hate TMNT so much because it shot your dog?
Nah. Because the cartoon is blah and people only like it because of nostalgia glasses and the original, live action movie is just incredibly lame compared to other, similar goofball sci-fi movies of the era. I mean, pretty sure I laid it all out in my original post.
Are you even aware of the original source material? It was originally a comic book first that was quite different from the 1987 cartoon in terms of both tune and style. It was darker, more violent and even at times sexually suggestive.
Yes. I know. And I fail to see how that's any support in proving TMNT doesn't suck. If anything, it proves how much it sucks even more.

Added in 41 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:42 am Let's be real here. All 80s cartoons are terrible, but people who grew up with them have nostalgia goggles on.

But as someone who grew up with it, nothing in my childhood was bigger than TMNT.
I would have NEVER guessed you were a TMNT kid.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Never would've guessed TMNT would be one of the most enduring topics here lol

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Honestly, never really understood the appeal of TMNT.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I only liked that 3D series.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wait, TMNT being a gritty comic first makes it suck more? How so?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Modern blockbuster posters suck. They’re all the same. Characters arranged in the same particular way.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Voyager wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 pm Modern blockbuster posters suck. They’re all the same. Characters arranged in the same particular way.
Unsure if this is unpopular but I have a familiar opinion that movies today in general just aren't as good as they were back then.

Especially when I've been watching such classics like Jaws, Alien & Aliens, Jurassic Park and the Die Hard films. Today's movies just don't hold the candle as they used to.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed May 18, 2022 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Voyager wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 pm Modern blockbuster posters suck. They’re all the same. Characters arranged in the same particular way.
This is not an unpopular opinion. :)

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:58 am
Unsure if this is unpopular but I have a familiar opinion that movies today in general just aren't as good as they were back then.

Especially when I've been watching such classics like Jaws, Alien & Aliens, Jurassic Park and the Die Hard films. Today's movies just don't hold the candle as they used to.
While my tastes definitely run towards older movies, I feel compelled to point out that, when we look back on films from past decades, we're looking at a filtered version; we're mostly seeing the ones that stood out then, and survived the test of time. When we look at modern movies, we're seeing all the dross as well, undifferentiated from the treasures.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

For every Jaws, there are three Mac & Me's

For every Alien, there are three Garbage Pail Kids

For every Jurassic park, there are three Showgirls.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

That's not even accounting for the movies that while critically acclaimed at the time still fall out of to wayside by today's standards, films regarded as "great" by their contemporary critics and audiences, that don't even show up in our filtered view of the past. Just browse through a list of "Best Picture Nominees" and see how few of Hollywood's "best and greatest" (I say this mildly in jest) are actually remembered and in the public conscious. While I'm hesitant to completely disregard arguments about trends of degrading quality over time (I think certain points could be made and be valid), there's a huge amount of survivorship bias to overcome in doing so.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Casual Star Wars fan here. I have always loved Revenge of the Sith, I remember being incredibly excited to see it in theaters back in third grade. I have soo much nostalgia for that film and it's merchandise/marketing.
Anyway, my second favorite Star Wars film mat surprise you: Rise of Skywalker. Note that I skipped The Last Jedi, as I thought it looked boring, plus I was incredibly disappointed in the spoiler that
Spoiler:
Snoke dies. Snoke was my main interest in the sequels.
For Rise of Skywalker, I loved that they brought back Palpatine, and I loved the Lovecraftian elements in the film (the statues, the cult, the ritual, etc). Note however that I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, maybe if I were I would have been disappointed with the film. I still have yet to see The Last Jedi, Solo, or any of the shows.

Added in 2 minutes 22 seconds:
Gigantis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:39 am
Voyager wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:23 am McDonalds is my favourite fast food. I don’t care about any of your other brands, big or small. I’m a Maccas shill.
Superman > Batman
Based opinions!
While Wendy's is my favorite fast food place, I do love McDonalds also!
And agreed, Superman is my favorite superhero! (I have always liked his outsider image, plus the sci fi trope of him being an alien from outer space).

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Record of Ragnarok's fighter selection is the definition of unimaginative. There is no reason we needed 4 of the 13 human champions (Who are supposed to represent all of humanity) to be Japanese, with two of those being swordsmen. Every other god on the divine side is a Greek God which is just like...there are so many good picks in mythology you could use instead of defaulting to them.
Last edited by godjacob on Sat May 28, 2022 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 am Record of Ragnarok's fighter selection is the definition of unimaginative. There is no reason we needed 4 of the 13 human champions (Who are supposed to represent all of humanity) needed to be Japanese, with two of those being swordsmen. Every other god on the divine side is a Greek God which is just like...there are so many good picks in mythology you could use instead of defaulting to them.
To add on… having 4 Early Genesis characters? I’d personally only have Cain, since it fits within the established lore of the Bible more.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:29 am
godjacob wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 am Record of Ragnarok's fighter selection is the definition of unimaginative. There is no reason we needed 4 of the 13 human champions (Who are supposed to represent all of humanity) needed to be Japanese, with two of those being swordsmen. Every other god on the divine side is a Greek God which is just like...there are so many good picks in mythology you could use instead of defaulting to them.
To add on… having 4 Early Genesis characters? I’d personally only have Cain, since it fits within the established lore of the Bible more.
Nah Adam was a genius pick, definantly a WTF option given he...isn't a fighter in his story, but their reconstruction of him is a standout in Record of Ragnarok and has my second fav fight to date (Jack vs. Heracles number 1 just cause it's one of the rare times a God used unique abilities and didn't just brute force it like a dumb meathead).

I would've only kept it Adam is anything. Human side is in bad need of more creative choices. I'd have added say Shaka Zulu and Joan of Arc and replaced Raiden (Who is just boring) and Okita (Who with Kojiro is a redundant selection).
Last edited by godjacob on Sat May 28, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:20 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:32 am
godzillafan1954 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:32 pm

Do you hate TMNT so much because it shot your dog?
Nah. Because the cartoon is blah and people only like it because of nostalgia glasses and the original, live action movie is just incredibly lame compared to other, similar goofball sci-fi movies of the era. I mean, pretty sure I laid it all out in my original post.
Are you even aware of the original source material? It was originally a comic book first that was quite different from the 1987 cartoon in terms of both tune and style. It was darker, more violent and even at times sexually suggestive.
I think, IIRC, that it was also slightly based on Marvel's comic Daredevil, the Man Without Fear! - specifically, what happened to the radioactive material that blinded the young Matt Murdock and gave him his superhuman senses after that had happened.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's something else : I want to see pop culture move on from its obsession for zombies and find a new go-to monster for horror. Maybe a good candidate would be rouge AI.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:17 pm Here's something else : I want to see pop culture move on from its obsession for zombies and find a new go-to monster for horror. Maybe a good candidate would be rouge AI.
#Bringbackwerewolves

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:21 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:17 pm Here's something else : I want to see pop culture move on from its obsession for zombies and find a new go-to monster for horror. Maybe a good candidate would be rouge AI.
#Bringbackwerewolves
How would you handle them in a way in which they haven't before?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:23 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:21 pm
#Bringbackwerewolves
How would you handle them in a way in which they haven't before?
Tie into the classic mythology of werewolves (See Overly Sarcastic Productions video on the subject). They were originally believed to be (Among other things) warriors of god who combat evil witches and demons. I'd pay to see that!