Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by eabaker »

Spuro wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:22 pm As I've worked my way through Hammer's horror catalogue this month and reached the infamous Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, I've come to a realization.

Peter Cushing, Veronica Carlson, and Terence Fisher may hated it, but the rape scene in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is still handled with more tact than the rape scene in the shockingly beloved Young Frankenstein. Yeah, it was unneeded and shoehorned in, but at least Must Be Destroyed didn't use rape for laughs.
I see where you're coming from.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:18 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:48 pm Here's an unpopular opinion - I want all current cinematic universes to end (MCU, DCEU, MonsterVerse, etc) and we go, just for a decade, back to the way things used to be where every movie didn't have to connect to every other movie. Not saying forever, but just for a little while, no blockbuster has to tie in with "a bigger universe".
Does your sentiment apply to non-Hollywood films as well?
No, just Hollywood. I'm not gonna put the kabash to say the Bumilangit Cinematic Universe when it's only just started.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

A very unpopular opinion here is how sad this forum has become where if you don't tow the liberal agendas line and God forbid you have differing opinions or outlooks with certain things how quickly you get warned. How all of a sudden you have this many administrators just because of one guy and making it feel like a police forum state. Never have I seen this forum in this sad of state, I used to joke about past Mods but now I wish them back, how many voices have been shut down here for their different views.

Anyway, that's all I got to say on the matter just voicing my unpopular opinion here.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:02 pm A very unpopular opinion here is how sad this forum has become where if you don't tow the liberal agendas line and God forbid you have differing opinions or outlooks with certain things how quickly you get warned. How all of a sudden you have this many administrators just because of one guy and making it feel like a police forum state. Never have I seen this forum in this sad of state, I used to joke about past Mods but now I wish them back, how many voices have been shut down here for their different views.

Anyway, that's all I got to say on the matter just voicing my unpopular opinion here.
He’s back!
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:04 pm
He’s back!
For how long though before I too am perma banned?

:lol:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:07 pm
He’s back!

I don’t wanna see you go, man :cry:
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:27 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:07 pm
He’s back!

I don’t wanna see you go, man :cry:
Honestly this place is just not fun anymore it's too biased and they can't see that. And believe me I'm not the only that thinks that.

Anyway that's enough of that lol.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:08 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:35 am The Alien (Xenomorph) should never have an origin story and should be left entirely unexplored; a total mystery.
Honestly the fact it was even considered to give them an origin story is disappointing. That's not even getting into some of the retcons Ridley Scott gave the species..
I revisited Alien: Covenant recently and completely agree. Ridley Scott is bescumbering all of his good will from the original by making the universe smaller and less threatening.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

H-Man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:30 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:35 am The Alien (Xenomorph) should never have an origin story and should be left entirely unexplored; a total mystery.
Honestly the fact it was even considered to give them an origin story is disappointing. That's not even getting into some of the retcons Ridley Scott gave the species..
I revisited Alien: Covenant recently and completely agree. Ridley Scott is bescumbering all of his good will from the original by making the universe smaller and less threatening.
I thought the Engineers were very intriguing as a concept all on their own, but it was a Godzilla Earth-sized mistake to make them the same thing as the Space Jockey.

And yeah, trying to introduce David as the creator of H.R. Giger’s perfect monster (contradicting the mural depicting the Alien in Prometheus, to say nothing of the implications that the Aliens killed the Engineers on LV-223)? That just doesn’t sit well with me. And while the lack of in-film confirmation does leave me to have my fan-theories, I can clearly tell what the intent was and I’m not a fan of it at all.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:22 am
H-Man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:30 am

I thought the Engineers were very intriguing as a concept all on their own, but it was a Godzilla Earth-sized mistake to make them the same thing as the Space Jockey.

And yeah, trying to introduce David as the creator of H.R. Giger’s perfect monster (contradicting the mural depicting the Alien in Prometheus, to say nothing of the implications that the Aliens killed the Engineers on LV-223)? That just doesn’t sit well with me. And while the lack of in-film confirmation does leave me to have my fan-theories, I can clearly tell what the intent was and I’m not a fan of it at all.
I agree on you with this, even though I do love the engineers and nemorph

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I know that Ridley Scott had talked about a third Prometheus/Covenant film--whose current status is unknown--that featured the Covenant being chased by an Engineer vessel of those who weren't on the planet when David arrived. At this point, they're going to have to travel back in time in order to reach LV-426 and get fossilized in time for the Nostromo to arrive.

Had Alien: Covenant stuck with the Neomorphs, I think you could have set up the story so that the original Black Goo had been engineered *from* the Xenomorph DNA, thus keeping their origins in the furthest, darkest annals of intergalactic history. But tying their origins to David was a colossal mistake.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I liked alien covenant, its weird, uneven, and pretentious but I found it fun (which is odd because I don't like Prometheus for a lot of the same reasons). That being said I would have much preferred a series based on the original Prometheus draft with the beluga xenomorph.
He Jock it Made of Steel

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:50 am I liked alien covenant, its weird, uneven, and pretentious but I found it fun (which is odd because I don't like Prometheus for a lot of the same reasons). That being said I would have much preferred a series based on the original Prometheus draft with the beluga xenomorph.
I remember reading an article where Ridley Scott mentioned a draft of the Prometheus 2 script that would have had the Xenomorph in the first act and then focused on Shaw and David trying to find out who created their creators. I would have preferred them to find an evil Alien-universe god living in the deepest reaches of Unoccupied Space.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I know what I’m about to say might be controversial I’m gonna say, Greed have basically ruined the copyright system , I know it might be saying a lot but with The EU Copyright Direction stuff I just don’t know anymore, if companies aren’t as greedy as they are now then we wouldn’t have these problems. It directly threatened freedom of speech if this keeps on going but we can’t do anything because the companies have way too much power. I don’t know maybe I’m just freaking out over nothing

Here’s a good video
https://youtu.be/r_7jLI1qO4Q
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Monster Hunter has the best creature designs in gaming.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:28 pm As an NGE fan, the NGE community has some of the dumbest fan theories I've seen.
Honestly yeah. I genuinely admire Hideaki Anno and think he has great creative talent, but Eva fans really seem to enjoy looking for stuff that just isn't there and forget the reason the show becoming as gloomy and existential as it did was the result of his own terrible depression. It started off as an Ultraman-esque monster of the week show and veered off into that direction more or less by circumstance rather than deliberately.
Spoiler:
Which is one of the many reasons I like the Rebuilds more, personally.
Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

The TASM2 Rhino design isn't all that bad. It certainly beats Electro and Green Goblin.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I prefer Rebuilds to the original series and End of Eva.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:54 pm I prefer Rebuilds to the original series and End of Eva.
Woah…are you me?
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:01 pm The TASM2 Rhino design isn't all that bad. It certainly beats Electro and Green Goblin.
Yeah. I never understood why everyone s treated it like it was the worst thing ever in all of existence. It looks pretty cool and certainly works for the TASM universe.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

The best parts from the new JP Trilogy were the hybrids, Indoraptor is my personal favorite

Added in 19 minutes 51 seconds:
Also I don’t trust any critic on YouTube or anywhere. Specially the ones Who mock you because you like a movies they don’t like. I don’t need a fucking supervisor to know what I like and don’t like.