Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Official News topic

Post by _JNavs_ »

Athletes play glorified middle school recess games for multimillions. If you ask me, the mental skill required to remain sharp while playing video games requires the same amount of focus. If not moreso.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:59 am Athletes play glorified middle school recess games for multimillions.

Come on, man. I don't care for sports myself, but even I think this is way too much.

No offense, but I can't tell if you're trying to be edgy, or are just bitter that sport culture is more popular than nerd culture.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:13 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:59 am Athletes play glorified middle school recess games for multimillions.

Come on, man. I don't care for sports myself, but even I think this is way too much.

No offense, but I can't tell if you're trying to be edgy, or are just bitter that sport culture is more popular than nerd culture.
Neither, just not the proudest that theres such a glorification for sports. But that's more an issue I personally have with society than anything specific to the topic at hand.

Ranking humans by how well their luck plays out on the field, watching people throw a ball for 3 hours. Idk its just not for me. I especially don't like how cocky most of the players are since what they're doing is, well I've said it already.

Feel free to ignore me on this one though lol
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun May 16, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

People that shyt on sports are probably that guy that never got picked for a team and it hurts them.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am People that shyt on sports are probably that guy that never got picked for a team and it hurts them.
Or it's just blatantly surface level.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:43 am
goji89 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am People that shyt on sports are probably that guy that never got picked for a team and it hurts them.
Or it's just blatantly surface level.
It's the same people that like participation trophies.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:21 am
KK42 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:13 am

Neither, just not the proudest that theres such a glorification for sports. But that's more an issue I personally have with society than anything specific to the topic at hand.

Ranking humans by how well their luck plays out on the field, watching people throw a ball for 3 hours. Idk its just not for me. I especially don't like how cocky most of the players are since what they're doing is, well I've said it already.

Feel free to ignore me on this one though lol
What LeBron James does and goes through to stay in basketball shape kinda throws a wrench in your argument.

And Jnavs do you like anything about Human society? This is like the 3rd thing you seem to hate about it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:36 pm And Jnavs do you like anything about Human society? This is like the 3rd thing you seem to hate about it.
I just think a lot of it needs to be revised, or be looked at completely differently, which I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking. Plenty of societal norms become pedestal'd when left unchecked. Like a cocky dude getting 300 million dollars to workout and shoot threes.

But again, I'm of the mind that sports are based (almost) entirely on luck, so I'd understand if you think differently.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun May 16, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

In my experience there's no such thing as luck.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:47 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:36 pm And Jnavs do you like anything about Human society? This is like the 3rd thing you seem to hate about it.
I just think a lot of it needs to be revised, or be looked at completely differently, which I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking. Plenty of societal norms become pedestal'd when left unchecked. Like a cocky dude getting 300 million dollars to workout and shoot threes.

But again, I'm of the mind that sports are based (almost) entirely on luck, so I'd understand if you think differently.
Fair enough but like I said, way too much goes into sports for it to just be mostly Luck. I would get my ass handed to me by Lebron James or Steph Curry. Luck would imply I have a chance.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Speaking of sports, Ben Wallace is getting inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame!
https://pistonpowered.com/2021/05/15/de ... l-of-fame/
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

As someone who enjoys both sports and video games, but moreso sports. Im not arguing video games dont require skill, especially at a high level. To me, a sport involves physical exterion including the possibility of injury within a competitive format, to give a loose definition. I also think you're ignoring the high level of technical skill that goes into mastering one's technique in sport. For me, it had nothing to do with glorification. I fenced, played soccer, football, and ran track for one year lol. I played those sports because I loved them, and loved competing with my friends, except track. Playing sports at a high level also requires some degree of mental aptitude. I dont see whats wrong with looking up to the people who have achieved mastery of their sport. I dont see how thats any different from looking up to a great director or writer.

Added in 1 minute 31 seconds:
tbeasley wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:59 pm In my experience there's no such thing as luck.
Sometimes luck can help you when its close, but I've found the best athletes I've competed against and watched tend to get "lucky" more than anyone else. Makes you wonder...

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Saying that sports are entirely dependent on luck is ignoring the hundreds of hours that go into training and preparing for every game. In addition to getting their bodies into peak athletic condition, the coaching staff will construct (usually) game-specific strategies tailored to exploit their opponents weaknesses. The players learn the strategies and then have to implement them in game. It's not even always macro-strategy, there's a lot of micro-management that goes on during a game. It would be foolish to do all that if you're just hoping a ball bounces your way more often than it does for the other team.
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:36 pm Speaking of sports, Ben Wallace is getting inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame!
https://pistonpowered.com/2021/05/15/de ... l-of-fame/
Long overdue.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

To each his own, but to me, athletes who literally bust their ass and cripple their bodies doing what they do and mastering their craft having to share a competitive space with fucking CoD players (!) is downright insulting and devalues what they do. If they want to make their own separate gig for CoD e-sports and put it on MTV and build a 15,000 seat arena for hosting MLG CoD tournaments, have at it, but it shouldn't be at the fucking X-games.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KManX89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:20 pm To each his own, but to me, athletes who literally bust their ass and cripple their bodies doing what they do and mastering their craft having to share a competitive space with skreeonking CoD players (!) is downright insulting and devalues what they do. If they want to make their own separate gig for CoD e-sports and put it on MTV and build a 15,000 seat arena for hosting MLG CoD tournaments, have at it, but it shouldn't be at the skreeonking X-games.
I see both sides of the argument because the e sports person takes the same risks other than the potential injury which they also take a chance on to a much much smaller degree. Not everyone that plays games can play at that level.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm I see both sides of the argument because the e sports person takes the same risks other than the potential injury which they also take a chance on to a much much smaller degree. Not everyone that plays games can play at that level.
I disagree with even that statement. There's a very specific sweet spot in which you can enter a professional career in sports, and it's a much more competitive environment. The serious sports people devote everything to that life. No one becomes a professional athlete randomly in their 30's. Sure, you can find a few very specific examples, but you get what I mean.

Spoiler alert, but esports gamers can totally disregard their health. To real athletes, health is paramount. Irreplaceable.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:19 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm I see both sides of the argument because the e sports person takes the same risks other than the potential injury which they also take a chance on to a much much smaller degree. Not everyone that plays games can play at that level.
I disagree with even that statement. There's a very specific sweet spot in which you can enter a professional career in sports, and it's a much more competitive environment. The serious sports people devote everything to that life. No one becomes a professional athlete randomly in their 30's. Sure, you can find a few very specific examples, but you get what I mean.

Spoiler alert, but esports gamers can totally disregard their health. To real athletes, health is paramount. Irreplaceable.
If an esports player gets fat, their fingers could move a fraction of a second slower. Like I said they have no where near the risk or mandatory health needs as a physical athlete but like I said I can see both sides of the argument.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun May 23, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Break one finger at ANY point in your life and your career is shattered.

Same concept with the Achilles heel.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:45 pm Break one finger at ANY point in your life and your career is shattered.

Arthritis or eye strains as well. It's why I say I can see both sides of the debate.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:45 pm Break one finger at ANY point in your life and your career is shattered.

You have a significantly better chance of tearing your ACL playing football and/or busting your ass snowboarding/BMX/skateboarding than you do breaking a finger playing a videogame. Hell, basketball is riskier than playing a videogame. I played Mario Party religiously on the N64's agape controller ripe with its Tug of War mini-game and my thumb's still fine all these years later.

E-sports players also don't have to diet/train to get their body at peak physical condition like real athletes do.

Putting e-sports at the X-games is a joke.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon May 24, 2021 4:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"