Japan New or Future Kaijū Toy Releases

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Japan New or Future Kaijū Toy Releases

Post by DirektorSplennic »

They look like candy. I want to eat them.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

/sigh

Why are all stylized Shin's Fest exclusive? (I know the answer lol, just upset). /sobs in corner

I should make it a priority to pick up the "Premium" Godzilla 1954 Colorway and the 2 Pack Showa Ghidorah. Especially the Ghidorah set, that ain't gunna get cheaper any time soon. Both of which look absolutely stunning.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSG0530120/
Not sure if this should go here, but Dope-Pope's Orga is for sale. Def gonna get this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I have a question about vinyls. I'm not sure if it's in the right topic, but still.
This covers all vinyl figures, but mainly directed towards the Bandai MMS since that's what I own; Will they degrade or deteriorate over time? Like, in my lifespan?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:I have a question about vinyls. I'm not sure if it's in the right topic, but still.
This covers all vinyl figures, but mainly directed towards the Bandai MMS since that's what I own; Will they degrade or deteriorate over time? Like, in my lifespan?
Probably not? The ones from 1984 still hold up to this day.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:I have a question about vinyls. I'm not sure if it's in the right topic, but still.
No. Things get dusty, and if you don't take good care of them warping can happen, but I still have figures from like ten or 20 years ago but are completely the same.

Anyways, I'm taking a trip to Tokyo this weekend. I'll take some photos with my new phone if I find anything worth posting.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

They do change over time. They continue to cure indefinitely, outgassing and gradually becoming stiffer and more brittle, especially thinner, hollow figures.

I have a very early Kaiyodo Dinoland Bellowing T. rex from the 80's and a matching reissue version that was made more recently, and they're completely different in feel now. The reissue is still soft and pliable, with give to the barrel of the body if you squeeze it, and still has a faint whiff of vinyl. The original feels like a block of wood, has no give or softness at all, no scent, and if you tap on them both, the newer one goes "gonk-gonk-gonk" but the old one goes "kink-kink-kink", a much harder, sharper sound, which makes the vinyl seem much more brittle.

Keep them out of direct sunlight, because the paints that are used will not survive much exposure to UV light, and make sure your display lights are UV free, and regardless of how you light your figures, you should expect some yellowing to any bright whites, and some pinking of any bright reds. Of course, this will happen over long spans of time, and you will not notice them at all, until you see an example of the same figure that has not faded/yellowed.

You definitely want to keep dust off vinyl figures. It will eventually destroy them.

For an extreme example, I bought a 1984 mold Bandai Great Monsters Series 18" 1964 Godzilla in the mid-2000's, that had been in a barn for several years, and was covered in dust. The outgassing of the vinyl had literally welded the dust to the figure, and no matter what was tried, the figure could not be cleaned.

I worked on it for months, eventually went from trying to clean it, to trying to strip it for a repaint, and then gave up and sold it. The guy that bought it from me, demanded his money back, despite being told several times he would not be able to clean the figure. I eventually gave it away to a guy that had a media blasting cabinet, and he was going to try baking soda blasting the dust and paint off. He said if it worked, he'd call me and give it back. That was a couple years ago, now. I'm guessing he ruined it...

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

ApexOversteer wrote: (Snipped just for the sake of replying and page length)
Thank you for answering, I'll make sure to keep good care of mine with this in mind.
I had no idea about the outgassing or the dust fusion, but I suspected something like that might be taking place with them.
Really, I appreciate you so much for replying. I'm sorry about that figure of yours, too.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:Thank you for answering, I'll make sure to keep good care of mine with this in mind.
I had no idea about the outgassing or the dust fusion, but I suspected something like that might be taking place with them.
Really, I appreciate you so much for replying. I'm sorry about that figure of yours, too.
Thanks, that figure was a big bummer.

Taking care of your figures is easy. The windows in my collection room are covered in foamcore board, blocking the UV rays. I used foamcore because it's cheap, comes in lots of colors, cuts easily and looks great both inside the room and outside the house

To keep the dust at bay, I go around with the Can-O-Air every couple/few weeks, followed by the hand-held (no handle) dry (unscented) Swiffer duster. I also tend to rearrange my entire collection at least once, hopefully twice, each year, and at that time, I give a good thorough dusting.

Really dusty figures, you can wash in warm soapy water, moving dirt with a small soft paint brush. Don't submerge the figure, I put the figure in the empty kitchen sink, with the drain open and using the sprayer, spray down on the figure while working the brush into the wrinkles in the Goji's skin. The idea is to get the brush to loosen the dirt, and the water carries it away. Work from head to toe, and then dry off with a towel and the Can-O-Air.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla Fest exclusives. Gonna get all three of those figures.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

What's exclusive about the G54?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

UltramanGoji wrote:What's exclusive about the G54?
He's purple with red eyes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:What's exclusive about the G54?
Red eyes, and blue fins.
It's called "Retro-Color Version".

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Oh, that's actually really cool. I kinda want that.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

I don't think I've seen anyone post these pics yet.

Courtesy of @KaijuNewsOutlet on Twitter.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:I don't think I've seen anyone post these pics yet.

Courtesy of @KaijuNewsOutlet on Twitter.
Neat for anyone that doesn't own them, but they're just re-releases of old figures from like 15 years ago. They're not even recolored or anything. Honestly wish the Gigan was the chainsaw hand variant.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

I don't have any of them, so I'm happy about them. Especially Gigan.

The paint looks great on Gigan, not so much on the other two. Anguirus actually looks good with a blue mouth, strangely? But Godzilla looks so bare!

I too really want a Modified Gigan figure, maybe some day! After all, they did release two versions of Kiryu.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Gigan's tail looks unpainted.

I have the original FW Gigan and Toho Kaiju G54

I don't even think I want Anguirus with his abysmal lack of paint.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

DirektorSplennic wrote:Gigan's tail looks unpainted.
I can't tell if it's just from the light but it seems the ridges on his tail may be silver? The claws at the end look light too but again, might just be glossiness.

I'm more concerned whether Godzilla has painted teeth or not?
His lack of claws is already a bit odd.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:They're not even recolored or anything.
Technically, they are. These releases feature less paint on them than the older releases.

Gigan's blue is now exclusively on his upper body and there's no trace of it anywhere below his shoulders. His tail tip is also unpainted and the fins are now less extensively colored. I'm not sure but I think the coloration on his metal bits is also brighter than the original. Anguirus' shoulder armor, tail tip, and tongue are now unpainted. His shell and horns also seem to be more flatly colored (similar to the Bandai Creation figure). And much like Gigan, anything below G54's shoulders are now unpainted. Only the top of his head and the spines have any paint on them.

Here's the original releases of the figures for comparison: