Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by canofhumdingers »

If they find a way to do a Godzilla with egg and incubator, I’m in.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I was originally against Mezco because of the size and the price, but as I got more into shokugan figures I realized that I dont mind that scale much. And the price doesn't bother me as much after spending two years collecting 200+ Bandai Vinyls, mostly retro. The average price I pay being around $120.

As Ive warmed up to Mezco Ive realized more and more just how BAD the NECA line really was. They really werent good figures. The fact that you had to customize them to make them look like what they were supposed to look like speaks for themselves. Similarly, NECA's subsidiary Kidrobot, a company I usually REALLY LOVE, absolutely blew it with the Godzilla license and we got a bunch of lazy chibis.

Very happy with Mezco so far.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I do think NECA finally got there with their last few releases, particularly 1964, 2003 and 1989. But yeah, the ones prior to those were not great. Their learning curve on sculpting Godzilla was very long, which was odd for them compared to most of their other movie-based lines. You'd think, what with Aliens/Predator, they'd be familiar with accuracy-obsessed fans.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

Yeah I thought it was odd that Neca had a hard time nailing down Godzilla (and not totally getting it right in the end) yet they could get stuff like Aliens and Pacific Rim down to a T (for the most part). Not to mention the engineering was pretty poor for the joints.
:terrestris:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think the answer to this is simple.

Screw up the sculpt of Alien or Gremlins? Everyone is going to be critical of that. Screw up the specifics of various Godzilla suits? Outside of hardcore fans, most people won't care.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Honestly, I dont even thing NECA finally got there at the end. Neither the 64 nor the 89 is particularly suit accurate, with the 89 straight up looking nothing like BioGoji (compare NECA to the soon to be released SHMA). And the 2003 is definitely the closest, but still, it looks noticably off if you don't take the liberties of customizing it yourself. And that was, what, 6 years of figures? When Mezco reveals awesome figures in year zero and NECA takes 6 years to make things that are BARELY passable, thats a problem. And I do think, in large part, its because American collectors dont know as much about Godzilla suits and dont care as much. Its just sad considering how much thought goes into their, say, Alien figures, or Jason Voorhees figures. Kidrobot is in the same boat. They put almost no effort into their Godzilla line.

Looking back, 2019 was a terrible year for Godzilla collectables, what with NECA, Jakks Pacific, and the most hated MMS figures. Im glad we have Mezco, Super7, Playmates, and a year of much higher effort MMS.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 am Looking back, 2019 was a terrible year for Godzilla collectables, what with NECA, Jakks Pacific, and the most hated MMS figures. Im glad we have Mezco, Super7, Playmates, and a year of much higher effort MMS.
Kinda ruins your point when your glad for Playmates and their "god-tier" classics sculpts but dunk the NECA's. If anything both should fit in the same boat but varying on release move up and down on the ranking.

Yo though real talk, Mezco would have had me as a customer. 4" inch scale though? Damn it.Sure it fits in with the "Hyper Grade(?)" figures and those cool vinyl Battle Pack ones I think. I'll admit though, they almost were my step into a different scale because they did a fantastic job with them so far. The Mothra/Shobojin set was a nice curveball that i'm sure most of us have wanted a while.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

SpaceG92 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:19 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 am Looking back, 2019 was a terrible year for Godzilla collectables, what with NECA, Jakks Pacific, and the most hated MMS figures. Im glad we have Mezco, Super7, Playmates, and a year of much higher effort MMS.
Kinda ruins your point when your glad for Playmates and their "god-tier" classics sculpts but dunk the NECA's. If anything both should fit in the same boat but varying on release move up and down on the ranking.

Yo though real talk, Mezco would have had me as a customer. 4" inch scale though? Damn it.Sure it fits in with the "Hyper Grade(?)" figures and those cool vinyl Battle Pack ones I think. I'll admit though, they almost were my step into a different scale because they did a fantastic job with them so far. The Mothra/Shobojin set was a nice curveball that i'm sure most of us have wanted a while.
I think you might have just missed the point of what I was saying, but the idea was that I'm glad we have Playmates now compared to Jakks Pacific as the standard "Kids Toy". Playmates may have had a rocky start but they ultimately ended up having better sculpts and better variety than anything out of Jakks Pacific. I was talking about Godzilla merch in general and how we have better collector stuff as well as better stuff for the kiddies than we did in 2019.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:33 am
SpaceG92 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:19 am

I think you might have just missed the point of what I was saying, but the idea was that I'm glad we have Playmates now compared to Jakks Pacific as the standard "Kids Toy". Playmates may have had a rocky start but they ultimately ended up having better sculpts and better variety than anything out of Jakks Pacific. I was talking about Godzilla merch in general and how we have better collector stuff as well as better stuff for the kiddies than we did in 2019.
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree that Playmates are that much better than Jakks as Playmates are pretty much just rereleasing Bandai America toys. Then when they end up making new toys they are kind of garbage "AKA Shin and even Kong" and then the GVK line is ok but i wouldn't put it that far above what Jakks provided for KOTM. Although I will agree that this year is leaps and bounds better than 2019 when it comes to releases.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

idk the fact Playmates granted us a six inch scale Skullcrawler, a passable MechaG and a Warbat, who isn't even getting a Gashapon, kinda have to give them some credit for that.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:27 pm It just occurred to me that it says the shobijin set is a Mezco exclusive. Doesn’t that mean you can only get it (for retail) direct from Mezco? I know I’ve seen some sites like BBTS sell Mezco exclusives, but I believe they have to order them at regular price and then sell them at a markup. Anybody know for sure?
It's at BBTS now (with $20 markup).
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/171358
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:12 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:27 pm It just occurred to me that it says the shobijin set is a Mezco exclusive. Doesn’t that mean you can only get it (for retail) direct from Mezco? I know I’ve seen some sites like BBTS sell Mezco exclusives, but I believe they have to order them at regular price and then sell them at a markup. Anybody know for sure?
It's at BBTS now (with $20 markup).
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/171358
Good thing I pre-ordered off of Mezcos website

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

Ultra-Seven and Alien Metron 5 points set announced.
https://www.facebook.com/29570728047467 ... 41340/?d=n

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Ooooooh, that's great! I'm not much of a toy collector these days, but that tempts me (one of my fav episodes) ... but if the next set is Jack & Twin Tail I will certainly not be able to resist.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Mezco is doing a giant Godzilla figure. Looks like its Godzilla 1989. I couldnt find pics online but Luminous did a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8UbIzy6rbk

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Dang, what do we think the price will be? Over $200?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Im going to guess that it will be around the same price as the giant Kong was, since they'll be nearly the same size.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 am Mezco is doing a giant Godzilla figure. Looks like its Godzilla 1989. I couldnt find pics online but Luminous did a video.

Oh my god.

I need it.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Some people are suggesting it's G93, which would be kind of random.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 am Mezco is doing a giant Godzilla figure. Looks like its Godzilla 1989. I couldnt find pics online but Luminous did a video.

JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've ever gotten any figures from Mezco Toys, I have preordered their Destroy All Monsters sets, & the recently recently revealed Mothra set, & now seeing that they're doing some Giant Godzilla figures has me even more hyped, & I swear if they do a Giant Godzilla 1954, 1984, & Shin Gojira figure I will preorder them in a heartbeat!!!
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy