Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by NickMockoviak »

Platypus Prime wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:13 pm Still no word there, but given their prior patterns, the Ultimates may be worth waiting for, but the ReActions will likely not have the detail these do, and I seriously doubt they will include anything like the bonus parts.
That's what I want to see: if they are doing an Ultimates line (most likely) and what their focus will be (Showa, Heisei, Millennium, Reiwa, etc.) and price points. If they're good, I'll most likely switch from SHMA to them. If not, Mezco can take my money.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:27 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:19 pmJust wait for the bitchfests when they don't have SHMA-level articulation!
You know, before MonsterArts that was NEVER something anyone talked about EVER when it came to Godzilla vinyls/toys. Everyone accepted that these toys were made a certain way and mobility would often be limited. It was what it was and people didn't complain. Then the MA line came along and that's when the lack of posabiity in these toys became an issue. Like, what are you really going to do with a vinyl Godzilla toy that justifies a large amount of articulation anyway?
I remember bitchfests around year two of the SHMA line, complaining about SHMA's visible gaps between parts, as compared to a MMS vinyl figure. Yes, some TK posters were actually demanding SHMA level articulation only if their figures would otherwise remain completely solid.
Last edited by G1985 on Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

NickMockoviak wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:05 pm Really tempting to get these figures. I want to see what Super7 is going to do before I decide on where to spend my money.
Agreed. But part of the problem is if you wait for Super7, you may miss the boat on these sets from Mezco. It’s a conundrum for sure. But also a nice problem to have considering how hard it used to be to find ANY Godzilla collectibles.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The ReActions are going to be overpriced trash, like literally everything else in that line.

I'm sure the Ultimates might look great, but I'm also sure they'll be pricy. The fact that we're getting all that stuff in the Hedorah set is incredible. Really getting our moneys worth with Mezco.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While I have no real intentions of getting from this line, I’m honestly really impressed with the prototypes they have so far. Even comparing them to the other figures in the line, these look so much better. Just compare it to the ultra man and red king set (not that the others look bad per say but are stylistically more retro and simpler, much closer to that classic Kenner look). They are putting some love and effort here
He Jock it Made of Steel

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Super7's stuff won't sell out fast. I wouldn't be surprised if these do, at least at first. ReActions stay widely available online forever, I should know, I'm selling tons.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

IDK, buying stuff thats all the same scale just looks so sterile, so lifeless. Not a fan of that aesthetic at all. Definitely good to have a variety of figures in a variety of scales, helps add some character to the shelf. Once I get a new shelf Im definitely going to get everything Mezco has to offer.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You know what else is really nice about the Mezco stuff? The DAM sets were first put up for preorder last April and you can STILL preorder them 10 months later. It's nice to have such an easily accessible Godzilla product like this. Everyone has a shot at it, unlike the continuing Mondo nonsense.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:57 am You know what else is really nice about the Mezco stuff? The DAM sets were first put up for preorder last April and you can STILL preorder them 10 months later. It's nice to have such an easily accessible Godzilla product like this. Everyone has a shot at it, unlike the continuing Mondo nonsense.
Absolutely! And that’s another thing that keeps making it harder to pass on them, lol! I keep thinking, “they must’ve sold out by now, guess they made my decision for me…”. Then I look and, NOPE! Still available! Pre order any time!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I don't honestly think some of the ReAction figures are that bad, though I don't own any myself. But I do look at them as not very cost-effective, and the Hedorah pack gives you the Final and Flying form, plus Godzilla, and some buildings effects and props for about $65. Three ReAction figures would be about $60 on their own, that's where I got my idea for the Mezco packs being the better deal from. It would cost more to get the buildings separately. Their other multipacks are similar.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The ReAction toys wouldn't be so bad if the damn things weren't so expensive. They look like $3 toys.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

That's WHY I don't have any. $20 for a retro-style mass market figure is a bit excessive, especially when the Ultimates are only about 2.5 times more for much more value (and I don't have many of THEM either). However, there are rumors of a price increase for them too, so we'll see how long that comparison lasts.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I feel like the ReAction toys absolutely bank on nostalgia. They assume you'll gladly pay $20 for a little retro action figure of an IP you loved when you were 5. "OMG mah childhood!" is big business these days.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

ReAction might be the only way some kaiju get releases.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:01 pm ReAction might be the only way some kaiju get releases.
Im not I understand your point. Get releases from who/where? Super7, or stateside/western in general? I mean within the last year we had American releases of Jet Jaguar and Gorosaurus, and Mezco has only announced like 4/5 Godzilla products so far, yet has a catalogue of like half the showa series. Which kaiju would only get released via ReAction?
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:27 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:19 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:33 pm

BAM. 100% agreement on this being an entire line. The two DAM sets give us 8 monsters (Godzilla, Minya, Rodan, Angilas, Ghidorah, Mothra larva, Baragon and Gorosaurus. The Mothra set gives us an adult Mothra. And the Hedorah set gives us a Godzilla variant and two forms of Hedorah. That's a really great selection of characters. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make sets based on Godzilla vs Megalon and one of the MG films. If they do that's almost all the Showa Godzilla monsters, and definitely all of the important ones. It's seems silly to skip these JUST BECAUSE of scale.
Just wait for the bitchfests when they don't have SHMA-level articulation!
You know, before MonsterArts that was NEVER something anyone talked about EVER when it came to Godzilla vinyls/toys. Everyone accepted that these toys were made a certain way and mobility would often be limited. It was what it was and people didn't complain. Then the MA line came along and that's when the lack of posabiity in these toys became an issue. Like, what are you really going to do with a vinyl Godzilla toy that justifies a large amount of articulation anyway?
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

How does replying with only eye rolling emojis and then hiding them at the top of the reply really help with this discussion?

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

better? :P
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:12 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:01 pm ReAction might be the only way some kaiju get releases.
Im not I understand your point. Get releases from who/where? Super7, or stateside/western in general? I mean within the last year we had American releases of Jet Jaguar and Gorosaurus, and Mezco has only announced like 4/5 Godzilla products so far, yet has a catalogue of like half the showa series. Which kaiju would only get released via ReAction?
Odd and obscure, like, really obscure...like TAS, comic and video games, etc. They would fit with gashapon.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:04 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:12 pm
Odd and obscure, like, really obscure...like TAS, comic and video games, etc. They would fit with gashapon.
I...uh...I think you probably should lower your expectations just a little bit.