Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mezco 5 Points Godzilla Line

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 am It’s worth pointing out that you don’t *have* to come up with an $80+ set like the DAM sets... they could easily do smaller sets too. Look at the Ultraman set: two figures, a couple of accessories, and a nifty cardboard backdrop for $30.
I have a feeling they force it as a set to allow to throw obscure monsters in that they fear might not sell well which are niche.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Sculpt are fantastic. But at 4.5 inches, and released as 80 dollar sets, I'm afraid that's just not gonna do it for me.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:53 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 am It’s worth pointing out that you don’t *have* to come up with an $80+ set like the DAM sets... they could easily do smaller sets too. Look at the Ultraman set: two figures, a couple of accessories, and a nifty cardboard backdrop for $30.
I have a feeling they force it as a set to allow to throw obscure monsters in that they fear might not sell well which are niche.
Well, sure. But my point was it doesn’t always have to be a 4 figure set at $80+. They could easily do smaller sets at lower price points where it makes sense. I only pointed it out because it seemed like everyone speculating on other potential sets was trying to mirror the same size/price point as these DAM sets which isn’t necessarily needed, as demonstrated by the smaller ultraman set.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:22 am Sculpt are fantastic. But at 4.5 inches, and released as 80 dollar sets, I'm afraid that's just not gonna do it for me.
Agreed on almost all points. If a future set comes out for RoG 84 or GvKG 91, the price will not deter me.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The problem for me is 80 bucks a set for figures I may not want. I may want two figures and not care for the others then essentially I'm buying two figures for 80 bucks or say I want just one in the set then it's 80 for just that one figure I want and ain't no way I'll be buying an $80 4.5 figure. Sure I could sell the others but I don't have the time to do that.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I'm not a fan of the price here. It's certainly pricey for a set of figures in a 4.5 inch scale. Kinda ridiculous, regardless of how awesome they look.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

The one thing that stops me from preordering right now is, aside from no idea what the final product looks like, I know nothing about Mezco except for what I've heard about their Kong, which boils down to "great appearance, iffy playability, don't swap out the parts much, you risk breaking it". Seeing as most of the fun of these would be a constantly-shifting mini-diorama of a monster fight, at least for me, I'm just not sure. I wish they'd put up a video showing how well the swapping works and generally what the durability is.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

So these are basically an American MMS then? I'd assume 5 points refers to the articulation. The accessories and sculpts look great but for a set bundle at $80 I'll take a pass.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 pm The one thing that stops me from preordering right now is, aside from no idea what the final product looks like, I know nothing about Mezco except for what I've heard about their Kong, which boils down to "great appearance, iffy playability, don't swap out the parts much, you risk breaking it". Seeing as most of the fun of these would be a constantly-shifting mini-diorama of a monster fight, at least for me, I'm just not sure. I wish they'd put up a video showing how well the swapping works and generally what the durability is.
They are mostly known for their marvel dc figures, which are very good in general, some are a big miss (darkseid) but I have Bluto and Popeye which are easy of my favorite figures in general.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 pm The one thing that stops me from preordering right now is, aside from no idea what the final product looks like, I know nothing about Mezco except for what I've heard about their Kong, which boils down to "great appearance, iffy playability, don't swap out the parts much, you risk breaking it". Seeing as most of the fun of these would be a constantly-shifting mini-diorama of a monster fight, at least for me, I'm just not sure. I wish they'd put up a video showing how well the swapping works and generally what the durability is.
As someone who's had the Mezco Kong for 3 years, I'll speak on my feelings. The big problem is that the Kong is a glorified statue. The limited playability is because the articulation really does nothing but slightly change the pose. I have no idea about durability but I will note that the figure has really big pegs that are stiff due to said limited articulation so I get that complaint.

These work for me because a. straight up in the name they will only have 5 points of articulation as well as being smaller figures. Now, I can't get disappointed like I am whenever my Mezco just has two charging poses for the NECA/SHMA he's facing and b. looking at it, it seems these joints are made to fit in to like gashapons (coming together into a solid statute) then pegs so durability shouldn't be as big a problem.)

RIP Evan.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Thank you! Five points for most of these guys is plenty, especially at this scale (bluntly, I've seen the movie, that's almost all the Monsters had in it anyway) and it would be interesting to have a mini-diorama set for the office. I was mainly worried about breakage.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

I think these look fantastic and pre-ordered them right away on BBTS. Like some have already expressed, I do hope the paint application will be good on these once they start to release. Don’t really have issue with the size and more limited pose ability as the sculpt, “possible” paint application, and accessories / extra heads and arms really make up for it. I actually asked about the future of the license and I was told to keep eyes on social media but also “if you see two tiny women in a lunchbox tell them to call” so I assume they’re doing something with the Mothra twins so that’s pretty cool.

I hope to see more sets as I will dedicate a whole shelf for these figures. A lot of possibilities with this line, more so than what Neca chose to do.
:terrestris:

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

If they expand to the 1:12 line, and a make a Showa Mothra. I will scream.

Then I will buy.

(Mothra merch barely gets made that isn't the Heisei one)
Last edited by Moth on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Very surprised to see an American company make a set like this. What really caught me off guard was seeing monsters like Gorosaurus, 64 Rodan, and an open mouth Anguirus. If they did make a third set with Manda, Varan, and Kumonga this line would really be something else.

To think that it can now be possible to have a full DAM set in scale with one-another and in the same quality of detail without forking out hundreds on X-Plus is a big selling point with me. It is a shame that they aren't 6-inch scale but I would try my hardest to make space to present these figures in their own special diorama away from the rest of my collection. I am particularly curious to see how these figures scale against my Revoltech figures (Rodan, Baragon, Daimajin, and Gigan).

Future sets I would like to see:

1. Godzilla Raids Again: 55 Godzilla and Anguirus

2. King Kong vs. Godzilla: 62 Godzilla and Kong

3. G vs. MG/TOMG set: Godzilla, Fake Godzilla, Mechagodzilla 74, King Caeser, Anguirus, 75 MG, Titanosaurus

4. Godzilla 2000/Megaguirus Set: Godzilla 2000, UFO, Orga, Megaguirus, Megalounon or however you spell it

5. Final Wars set

On the fence of pre-ordering DAM right now. Might hold off till the summer to make my final choice.
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:05 am I am particularly curious to see how these figures scale against my Revoltech figures (Rodan, Baragon, Daimajin, and Gigan).
I've wondered that too. I think they could be dead-on with the Revoltech line. Showa Gamera vs Godzilla!
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:16 am
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:05 am I am particularly curious to see how these figures scale against my Revoltech figures (Rodan, Baragon, Daimajin, and Gigan).
I've wondered that too. I think they could be dead-on with the Revoltech line. Showa Gamera vs Godzilla!
Now that would be a very interesting size comparison to see!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I pre-ordered the DAM set instantly. The idea of FINALLY having a 68 Godzilla to scale with the Revoltech Anguirus and Gigan is too good to pass up. Hope to see more of these sets in the future. I'd especially love a set that gives more of 68 Godzilla's rivals like Hedorah and Gabara. I REALLY hope we get the remaining DAM cast too. I've been dying for more Kumonga merch.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 am I pre-ordered the DAM set instantly. The idea of FINALLY having a 68 Godzilla to scale with the Revoltech Anguirus and Gigan is too good to pass up. Hope to see more of these sets in the future. I'd especially love a set that gives more of 68 Godzilla's rivals like Hedorah and Gabara. I REALLY hope we get the remaining DAM cast too. I've been dying for more Kumonga merch.
Oh, word? Oh, if they scale with the Revoltechs, I am even HAPPIER I grabbed them!

Agreed on doing the full 68-72 roster. Personally, I want a Ebirah set. I feel like that would fit really well with what this is intended for.

RIP Evan.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

Does anyone else think the sculpt for King Ghidroah seems a little off? Like the belly isn’t pertroding out too much and has too many folds, same with the bottom of the left and right necks? Hoping this is just more so it being a prototype and is more accurate once it releases.

Side note, I noticed two things in those promo pictures. 1: One of the Rodans heads is only a 3D sculpt and not a finished one (it’s the open mouth head). 2: Mothra doesn’t have her 2 little feelers / spikes sculpted on each side of her face as most of the photos are photoshopped except the photo with the larva shooting web at Rodan (the feelers are clearly not there). Just something I noticed and thought it was neat.
:terrestris:

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Looks like there's something else coming today... https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-dIWjprAE/

Added in 19 minutes 57 seconds:
It's One:12 Ultraman! https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-g5dagIND/
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary