Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by Fermix »

Hedorah set prototype images
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Looks great. I knew the quality would be high based on the other sets, but this really looks nice in this proto form.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I was messing around with these figures (I've got the first two sets) yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. They really are nice figures, even if they don't quite feel as much like "toys" as I want them to.

The buildings are what sell me on the Hedorah set.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The head on that Godzilla looks perfect. And its nice they changed the tail sculpt too.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

At first I was hesitant on Mezco's Godzilla figures due to spotty paint images I've seen, but these sculpts are so crisp that I'm tempted to grab a couple sets.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I was surprised both at the little buildings, and that they don't seem to be including swappable a skeleton hand for Godzilla or damaged-eye heads for either of them. A nice mini-set, though!

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

I’m sure they will still include them.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:50 pm I’m sure they will still include them.
The only extra figure part is a damaged eye for Hedorah.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 am
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:50 pm I’m sure they will still include them.
The only extra figure part is a damaged eye for Hedorah.
My bad, I misread and thought the OP was saying they were removing those bits. I'm conflating my Godzilla sets and thought that was solicited. My point was, they were probably keeping all the bits that were solicited originally... Although we did lose one piece from the other Mezco set.

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

anyone get a shipping notification for the DAM sets from awesome collector?

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

I’d love to see Mezco do a War of the Gargantuas set. That’ll be the day.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:12 am I’d love to see Mezco do a War of the Gargantuas set. That’ll be the day.
That would be a holy grail.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Gargantuas as part of the "Toho Ultimates" line.

It ain't "Godzilla Ultimates," likely for a reason.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

I'm with you on that, but Brian specifically said in an interview that there really wasn't anything to read into the "Toho Ultimates" thing and that they just weren't calling it "Godzilla" because they were doing figures other than Godzilla and didn't want people to think they only were doing Godzilla like other companies... *Cough* NECA *Cough* and that they weren't doing outside of Godzilla kaiju at the moment.

But I know Brian and S7 like to go outside the box. So I think it's more of a possibility than it's ever been, but probably isn't a priority and not something they have the license for I'd guess. We shall see!

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

As I understand it, Toho licenses all the monsters separately. This came up a lot with IDW and NECA. And IDW did get the Gargantuas.

So I think all Super7 has to do is say, "We want Gaira." I do remember they did say that Toho responded to some of their requests with, "Huh, no one's ever asked for that." That probably referred to '57 Godzilla, but you never know.

Personally, my dream is Ultimate Marvel Godzilla.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:41 am As I understand it, Toho licenses all the monsters separately. This came up a lot with IDW and NECA. And IDW did get the Gargantuas.

So I think all Super7 has to do is say, "We want Gaira." I do remember they did say that Toho responded to some of their requests with, "Huh, no one's ever asked for that." That probably referred to '57 Godzilla, but you never know.

Personally, my dream is Ultimate Marvel Godzilla.
Certainly wouldn't be Bagan!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Leunames wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51 am anyone get a shipping notification for the DAM sets from awesome collector?
I got my notification yesterday, as a matter of fact! I don't have a delivery date yet, but it's a step in the right direction.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

https://twitter.com/mezcotoyz/status/15 ... 6599090177

Not the third DAM set I was hoping for, but I'm still holding out hope for a new reveal soon anyways.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^They should make fully articulated figured for the DAM kaiju.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

THEY'RE HERE!! They're finally here!!!

I am positively in love with these sets. Sculpting and painting is near-excellent on them all, with a nice heft and sturdiness to each figure. No attention to detail has been skimped on; every scale and fold of skin appears accounted for from head to toe. The paint application varies from figure to figure, but apart from small defects the layers of color and washes bring out great depth of the sculpt and help bring each monster to life. Some of the monsters are so spot-on that they practically look like they walked off the screen; Anguirus and Rodan are probably the best examples of this, and I dare say these two in particular are must-have figures for any America-based collector with special fondness for Godzilla's greatest allies.

Image Image
Posing with the boxes - also nicely designed and well-packed inside.

The 5-point articulation is about what one would expect; they're about as posable as the average Bandai vinyl, so they're fun to handle but limited in display options. the accessories, however, certainly make up for any display issues. All of the (de)attachable parts can come on and off easily, and stay in place firmly. Some of of the beam effects are surprisingly large, but they insert into the mouthparts and hold their place perfectly so far. Rodan's flight stand is a bit quirky at first, but it's pretty stable and I appreciate its inclusion.

Naturally, Mezco's 5-Point Ultraman figurines appear to be JUST out of scale with the Godzilla figures - or, on second thought, maybe it's just Red King who looks short. Ultraman actually scales up pretty well.
They still display together very nicely.
Spoiler:
Image Image
Not every figure is perfect; a few monsters are still slightly off in appearance at certain angles, such as Baragon's slightly squashed face or Gorosaurus's broad nose. Gorosaurus and Anguirus both seem much darker in coloration than I'm used to seeing them depicted. Ghidorah's wings are a bit rigid in appearance, and they're made of a more brittle-feeling plastic material, so a little extra care will be best for this figure. There are some minor defects on my copies as well: one of Godzilla's extra arms has traces of scuffing, and Gorosaurus had some little fibers/strands stuck on him which were even trapped in the paint at one spot. Other figures bear some minor faults in paint apps here and there, often around claws, spikes, etc; however these don't distract from the figures and are mostly unnoticeable unless you're deliberately inspecting.

Some individual shots of the monsters:
Spoiler:
Godzilla
Image Image Image

Anguirus
Image Image Image

Mothra larva
Image Image

Rodan
Image Image Image Image

Baragon
Image Image Image

Gorosaurus
Image Image Image

Minilla
ImageImageImage

King Ghidorah
Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Rody on Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.