Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mezco 5 Points Godzilla Line

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

These are great. I hope they release these in Japan, but I doubt it.,

Edit: Ships Worldwide: Thank God.

Good to know. I'm getting all these, and it's easy to predict what types of sets they could do.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Indeed 20 bucks each, with that detail? and yeah 5 point articulation might not be much but again these are characters we rarely get articulated and on this level of detail is like getting a small wave of them, Im totally getting these and hopping for more in the future.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Genuinely, the only thing keeping me away from buying these is the scale. Everything else is spectacular. Blows NECA out of the water, thats for sure.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Wasn't even thinking about them doing more sets like this. Lots of possibilities if they stick to the Showa era, as a lot of those movies had 3-4 monsters. Near endless potential with these things, man. :)

Worth noting that Mezco also has some Ultraman figures coming out. Not to mention they have the Kong license. Can't say I've paid much attention to them before, but maybe I'd better start! They're spoiling us kaiju fans. ;)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

$20 per figure sounds like a lot to me, for something the size of an Ultra Monster spark doll... But they DO look very nice, and the extra parts are a welcome bonus.
...And WOW, seeing these today came as a shock to the system. After everything we've been wishing for from the American Godzilla lines, these Mezco sets come out of nowhere. The fact that these merely exist makes me feel grateful.
It looks like BigBadToyStore also has preorders up for a little less.
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/158824
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/158825

I think it's interesting to note that not all the monsters are strictly based on their 1968 appearances: Rodan is clearly modeled after the 1964 suit (not a bad thing, mind you).

EDIT: whoops, looks like Entertainment Earth has preorders up too - with free USA shipping!
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... et/mz18070
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... et/mz18071
Last edited by Rody on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 am4.5 inches. They'd be perfect if they were 6 inches.
Mezco is probably saving the 6" scale for their One:12 series of figures... which we may be seeing Kaiju for...

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:27 pm Genuinely, the only thing keeping me away from buying these is the scale. Everything else is spectacular. Blows NECA out of the water, thats for sure.
These are the types of sculpts I was expecting from NECA when they first announced they would be doing classic Godzilla designs. Cool to see that an American company finally rose to the occasion.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:55 pm Awesome sculpts and great selection of characters, plus accessories!

However...

The fact they're being released in sets instead of individually and at $80 a pop for a set of four at 4.5 inches with little more than vinyl-tier articulation...I'm gonna have to pass on these. If I could just grab like Godzilla, Anguirus, Gorosaurus and Baragon for like $10 each, I'd be all in. But it seems to be too expensive for too little. If I'm gonna pay those prices, I'd much rather wait to see what Super7 has in store.
Exactly.

4.5 inches? They couldn't go an extra inch and a half? And that price point is insulting.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

$21 a figure for sculpts and paint of that quality + extras seems about right.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Individually maybe but as a set nah, because I may not want what comes within each set.

And who knows if these will come out as good as the photos,c ould get duds. I can wait for other people to get them in hand and If I miss out meh.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Even if they stick with Showa era, there is a lot of sets they can do with 3-4 figures a set. Heres a few Ideas I had:

Deastroy all Monsters set 3: Kumonga, Varan, Manda, Accessories: SY3, Fire Dragon effect, a Kilaak saucer that you can put the fire dragon effect part in, the bridge for Manda to wrap around, Web and posion needle effect for Kumonga (I figure this set could make up the 3 kaiju with extra accessories, plus you wouldn't need extra heads and hands for Kumonga, Varan, and Manda).

Black and white classics: 54 goji, GRA Goji, GRA Anguirus, 58 Varan. Accessories: Open and closed mouth heads for the Gojis, an atomic breath effect that can fit for either goji, a mini oxygen destroyer.

Godzilla vs. the Smog monster set 1: Goji 71, Aquatic Hedorah, Terrestrial Hedorah. Accessories: The industrial plant with the smoke stacks that you can put Terrestrial Hedorah on, smoke effects for the industrial plant, the oil tanker set for Aquatic Hedorah, Breath effect for Godzilla, tiny tadpole Hedorah, acid projectile effect, Giant electrodes.

Godzilla vs. the Smog monster set 2: battle damaged Goji 71, Final form Hedorah, Flying form Hedorah, Flying Godzilla. Accessories: Crimson beam effect for both hedorahs, breath effect for flying Godzilla.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Can also do a mecha godzilla set, with goji, mecha g, K caesar and titanosaurus.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I agree! I think a good next set would be Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla / Terror of Mechagodzilla set - Godzilla, Mechagodzilla (with interchangeable arms for MG1 and MG2), King Caesar and Titanosaurus.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

There’s more differences between the two MechaGodzillas than the arms. They would really need to be separate figures to be accurate.

I’d fall all over myself for a Godzilla vs The Thing set: Goji, Mothra adult, two larvae, giant egg and accessories like breath for Goji, webs for larvae, maybe the castle Goji destroys, or the incubation chamber for the egg...

Added in 1 minute 3 seconds:
Honestly, you could pretty easily design at least one set for every Godzilla film, and plenty of films could support two or even three sets.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:49 amIF SUPER 7 LOOKS HALF THIS GOOD WE'RE IN HEVEAN BOYS.
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:27 pm Genuinely, the only thing keeping me away from buying these is the scale. Everything else is spectacular. Blows NECA out of the water, thats for sure.
These are the types of sculpts I was expecting from NECA when they first announced they would be doing classic Godzilla designs. Cool to see that an American company finally rose to the occasion.
Oh yeah absolutely. These are great.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Can't wait for Final Wars Pack 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I want a Godzilla vs Mothra pack also, stat. Plus a Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:48 am Even if they stick with Showa era, there is a lot of sets they can do with 3-4 figures a set. Heres a few Ideas I had:

Deastroy all Monsters set 3: Kumonga, Varan, Manda, Accessories: SY3, Fire Dragon effect, a Kilaak saucer that you can put the fire dragon effect part in, the bridge for Manda to wrap around, Web and posion needle effect for Kumonga (I figure this set could make up the 3 kaiju with extra accessories, plus you wouldn't need extra heads and hands for Kumonga, Varan, and Manda).

Black and white classics: 54 goji, GRA Goji, GRA Anguirus, 58 Varan. Accessories: Open and closed mouth heads for the Gojis, an atomic breath effect that can fit for either goji, a mini oxygen destroyer.

Godzilla vs. the Smog monster set 1: Goji 71, Aquatic Hedorah, Terrestrial Hedorah. Accessories: The industrial plant with the smoke stacks that you can put Terrestrial Hedorah on, smoke effects for the industrial plant, the oil tanker set for Aquatic Hedorah, Breath effect for Godzilla, tiny tadpole Hedorah, acid projectile effect, Giant electrodes.

Godzilla vs. the Smog monster set 2: battle damaged Goji 71, Final form Hedorah, Flying form Hedorah, Flying Godzilla. Accessories: Crimson beam effect for both hedorahs, breath effect for flying Godzilla.
Godzilla's Revenge: in keeping with the spirit of the movie itself, the only new sculpt for this set will be Gabara. Otherwise, the first set could be comprised of a repainted Goji 68 from DAM set 1, a reissued Anguirus from DAM set 1, a reissued Gorosaurus from DAM set 2, and a reissued Minilla from DAM set 2. Future sets for this movie could be comprised of more reissues such as the Goji 65 from GSM set 1, the Goji 67 from SOG set 1, Ebirah and the Giant Condor from GSM set 1, and Kumonga and Varan from the above DAM set 3.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:12 am I agree! I think a good next set would be Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla / Terror of Mechagodzilla set - Godzilla, Mechagodzilla (with interchangeable arms for MG1 and MG2), King Caesar and Titanosaurus.
You could actually get 2 Mechagodzilla sets and even a third one if you want to count a lot of accessories.

Set 1: Godzilla 73, Mechagodzilla 1, King Ceasar accessories: Eye lazer, Atomic Breath effect, Missle fingers effect, Force Field effect, swap-able spinning Mechagodzilla head, King Ceasar statute, Sleeping head for King Ceasar.

Set 2: Bloody Godzilla 73, Bloody broken jaw Anguirus, Fake Godzilla accessories: Individual missles to put in Bloody Godzilla, Battle damage reveal parts for Fake Godzilla, Fake Godzilla atomic breath effect piece, Magnatism effect part, Electric towers that can attach to Godzilla, Mechagodzilla reveal effect part for Fake Godzilla (the scene where the fake skin is burned off).

Terror of Mechagodzilla set: Godzilla 74, Titanosaurus, Mechagodzilla 2 accessories: Black hole Alien ships, Helicopter with Supersonic Wave Oscillator, Akatsuki submarine, Atomic breath effect for Godzilla, Wind gust effect, swap-able open fin tail for Titanosaurus, chest Lightning bolt piece for Mechagodzilla 2, toe missile effects, Swap-able brain head for Mechagodzilla 2, beam for brain head Mechagodzilla 2.

My thoughts are that you have to buy all three sets to get the full all out assault attack for Mechagodzilla.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It’s worth pointing out that you don’t *have* to come up with an $80+ set like the DAM sets... they could easily do smaller sets too. Look at the Ultraman set: two figures, a couple of accessories, and a nifty cardboard backdrop for $30.