What are your Godzilla 'Holy Grails'? 2022 edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Re: What are your Godzilla 'Holy Grails'? 2021 edition

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:29 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:24 am My holy grails are so rare and out of my price range that it isn't even worth mentioning them.
But now that you have mentioned them, you might as well tell us what they are… :P :huge:
Yeah, can't just leave us with that lol
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I'll also add the GowRow Grand King Ghidorah to this list. Heck, might as well add the GowRow DesGhidorah as well. Sakai '84 poster edition, Kaibutsuya train biter '54.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

So Im going to be done collecting by the end of the year, and I want to try and reach some goals by then, get some of my grails. I already just got Yamato No Orochi, so I can cross that one off, but after that I have three targets:

First, this fella here. Cheapest of the bunch and probably the easiest to come by.

Second, getting considerably more expensive, we have this fella here:

And finally, with what is ironically enough my MAIN priority, we have the ever classic:

The reason why Im shooting for the end of the year is because by early to mid 2022 I want to get an apartment for me and my girlfriend. Im doing decent enough financially, got a job I dont hate and am finally getting good at art. My life is in a good position and Im pretty content with my Godzilla collection as is, so it just makes sense for me to stop collecting. I accomplished a lot it two years, far more than most people could, and so I see no need to bring it any further. I will update this thread as I get these things, and add to it if need be. Im watching that big Mezco Godzilla. If the price isnt ridiculous, I might just have to get it as well but aside from that there isnt much else I want.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:00 pm Im watching that big Mezco Godzilla. If the price isnt ridiculous, I might just have to get it as well but aside from that there isnt much else I want.
Yet…. :twisted:

Seriously, though. Good luck with your endeavor. Seeing collecting as a finite hobby with a definitive end is a foreign concept to me, but an interesting one. I learned long ago that, for me, collecting is an on going hobby that continues to evolve. In more recent years (as space became a real limiting factor, and for a while when finances were tighter) I realized that allowing my collection to evolve by pruning older or less desired items and selling them in order to make space or generate funds (or both) for newer things that catch my eye is actually very rewarding. It’s almost like tending a garden in some ways now.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:00 pm The reason why Im shooting for the end of the year is because by early to mid 2022 I want to get an apartment for me and my girlfriend. Im doing decent enough financially, got a job I dont hate and am finally getting good at art. My life is in a good position and Im pretty content with my Godzilla collection as is, so it just makes sense for me to stop collecting.
I collect on and off, but this is a big reason why I’ve slowed down and started thinning out what I own as well. Life has been good, but it benefits me to have less stuff to display, especially when you travel a lot and intend to move around. I actually sold a lot of my collection to buy my grails and prefer having a few items I cherish as opposed to a lot of items that I just “enjoy”.

On that note, I’ve managed to acquire a few grails (vintage Marusan) after selling other things, but it has been getting more expensive than it was a few years ago so I think I’ll stop while it’s good. :D

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

There's a reason why I don't collect outside of my small Shin display - because I know I couldn't stop. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Last edited by KingKaiju on Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:00 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:00 pm Im watching that big Mezco Godzilla. If the price isnt ridiculous, I might just have to get it as well but aside from that there isnt much else I want.
Yet…. :twisted:

Seriously, though. Good luck with your endeavor. Seeing collecting as a finite hobby with a definitive end is a foreign concept to me, but an interesting one. I learned long ago that, for me, collecting is an on going hobby that continues to evolve. In more recent years (as space became a real limiting factor, and for a while when finances were tighter) I realized that allowing my collection to evolve by pruning older or less desired items and selling them in order to make space or generate funds (or both) for newer things that catch my eye is actually very rewarding. It’s almost like tending a garden in some ways now.
I guess time will tell on the finite-ness. For right now, I just feel like Ive done what I need to do. I almost certainly have the biggest collection in Jacksonville FL, which is more than I even was shooting for. It got to a point where buying things that werent my holy grails made me second guess myself, like, do I really need a YMSF minya? Or, is a Bandai Kaiser Ghidorah worth $200 to me? I want to focus my sights on figures I absolutely want, and these three things are really the only things that come to mind for me.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:28 am It got to a point where buying things that werent my holy grails made me second guess myself, like, do I really need a YMSF minya? Or, is a Bandai Kaiser Ghidorah worth $200 to me? I want to focus my sights on figures I absolutely want, and these three things are really the only things that come to mind for me.
I went through something very similar. And that’s when I began really “curating” my collection, culling and selling older things to make way for new ones. I began paring down things that I didn’t care for as much which allowed me to make room for new stuff. And no matter how much I like my collection, it’s always fun to get something new! But I try not to buy things just because they’re neat, they go with a collecting theme, complete a set, or some such. Each individual item has to be something I truly want to enjoy. (although I still occasionally fall prey to FOMO or an occasional impulse purchase).

But that’s why I say it’s like tending a garden for me. I prune old items out from time to time in order to make way for new growth. Sometimes the pruning is spurred by a specific new item I want to get and sometimes it’s just me going through and picking out things to remove.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

Not so much my Holy Grails, but I did help someone obtain theirs. I sold them my old Revoltech Angila, Mothra, and Rodan figures (complete with accessories and boxes) for a decent price. Managed to score about $200 for the lot. Good to see them go to a good home.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

cmdmstudios wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:53 am Not so much my Holy Grails, but I did help someone obtain theirs. I sold them my old Revoltech Angila, Mothra, and Rodan figures (complete with accessories and boxes) for a decent price. Managed to score about $200 for the lot. Good to see them go to a good home.
66 calzones for each of them :shock: ? You gave them away. Should have given them to me.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:19 am
cmdmstudios wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:53 am Not so much my Holy Grails, but I did help someone obtain theirs. I sold them my old Revoltech Angila, Mothra, and Rodan figures (complete with accessories and boxes) for a decent price. Managed to score about $200 for the lot. Good to see them go to a good home.
66 calzones for each of them :shock: ? You gave them away. Should have given them to me.
Well, it was more $70 for Rodan and Angilas and $60 for Mothra as the Tokyo Tower base was damaged. But, I snagged them each for about $50-$60 back in the day and I'm not the type to resale at overly inflated prices.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

My main holy grail for the past half dozen years or so was a really big, really accurate representation of a truly classic G that I loved. Fortunately, my means to swing such a purchase coincided with this year's X-Plus Gigantic Godzilla 1954 FSL. And it's exactly what I dreamt about. The only other possibilities were a similar sized 1964, 2001 or 89-91, so I will probably go for that Mezco 89 giant.

Another grail, the Shin G X-Plus Gigantics, are already released and far too much on the collectors market. Just as well, as I'm not keen on cleaning up the vomit of visiting guests!
Last edited by Doc Phibes on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Oh, I forgot one. I have one more Holy Grail, but this one I am 99.9% confident I will NEVER own.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:30 am Oh, I forgot one. I have one more Holy Grail, but this one I am 99.9% confident I will NEVER own.
Yeah, especially since the older sister isn't included.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Yeah, the lack of an older sister really kinda killed it for me. Im usually 100% willing to drop everything whenever I can buy a Godzilla 1989...but that older sister was definitely the best part of the package here.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingKaiju wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:38 am Image
What's this? I want one lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:46 am
KingKaiju wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:38 am Image
What's this? I want one lol.
If I recall correctly, it's the Godzilla Forever Resurrected Godzilla (or Glitter Godzilla as it's commonly known). While using the DesuGoji mold, it's supposed to be representative of when Godzilla was resurrected by Fire Rodan's sacrifice. Typically goes for quite a pretty penny as far as after market goes. I've yet to see it go anywhere below $350.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Stalk Mandarake for it.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Original run NECA NES Godzilla. Got it for £29.99 from a comic book shop in Glasgow.