Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by Fermix »

I used ImageJ to do a mockup and get a sense of how big an Ultimates Destoroyah would be

This is a very rough mock-up, so please don't flame me for precision. With the listed measurements, if you assume the tails are about the same volume, and the bodies are about the same depth, and if you ignore the wings, Destoroyah is already 50% more volume than Godzilla. Since this leads to more plastic, bigger steel molds being cut, and more shipping freight space, I think $200 is a very reasonable estimate.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Didn't he also say the scale wasn't going to be the same across several films, even if they're in the same series? I'd imagine in the case where the monsters are huge, the overall scale will be played around with. So what Fermix posted above (a Destroyah in the EXACT movie accurate scale as the 1989 Godzilla figure) probably isn't going to happen if it means the Destroyah is going to be stupid expensive.

Don't overthinks this, guys.

Regardless, no interest in Heisei and beyond. I didn't sell all my Monsterarts to rebuy the same characters.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:01 pm Didn't he also say the scale wasn't going to be the same across several films, even if they're in the same series? I'd imagine in the case where the monsters are huge, the overall scale will be played around with. So what Fermix posted above (a Destroyah in the EXACT movie accurate scale as the 1989 Godzilla figure) probably isn't going to happen if it means the Destroyah is going to be stupid expensive.
Brian specifically said that Burning Godzilla would be only slightly taller than G89, because keeping it to authentic scale would make Burning G much taller and make Destoroyah inaccessible large. In line with that, I feel as though the mock up I made is relatively valid.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:01 pm Didn't he also say the scale wasn't going to be the same across several films, even if they're in the same series? I'd imagine in the case where the monsters are huge, the overall scale will be played around with. So what Fermix posted above (a Destroyah in the EXACT movie accurate scale as the 1989 Godzilla figure) probably isn't going to happen if it means the Destroyah is going to be stupid expensive.

Don't overthinks this, guys.

Regardless, no interest in Heisei and beyond. I didn't sell all my Monsterarts to rebuy the same characters.
I believe the scale comment was regarding the series specifically, so like GvD won't have the same scale as the much smaller Showa Godzilla vs Megalon. But those together in a specific film will carry the same scale or else they wouldn't look right.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I get what they’re saying. It’s like how the 1964 SHMA was almost “in-scale” with the Heisei stuff because it was half the size of them - Heisei being 80m (GvB) or 100m (GvKG+) and Showa monsters averaging 50m.

But I would bet in the Super7 line, each film will have a Godzilla scaled to 8” and the other monsters in the film scaled to that. So Godzilla is always 8” tall, and the other monsters scale to him as they scaled in that particular film.

It’s not really that different from how IDW handled their comics - for example, in the Legends Hedorah issue, the Showa Hedorah is the same height as the Heisei Mechagodzilla and Godzilla. And IDW often pitted the 60m GxMG Godzilla against various Showa and Heisei monsters, and they were always the same size.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Seeing as I purely lucked out guessing that we might get a MonsterArts Hedorah pack, let me try again and put forwards the idea (not even guessing price) of a Hedorah pack with a few of his evolutions as accessories. Though given the size of the figures and the (from an admittedly inadequate sampling) decrease in accessories that seems to result, that's probably unlikely.

Edit: Oops, I meant Destroyah. The mistype makes this entire post nonsensical with what was above...
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Isnt Super7's whole thing that they have MORE accessories though? I think getting Hedorah's evolutions as accessories for this line is basically a no brainer.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:54 pm Destoroyah being as big as he is, which means much more plastic usage, which also means much larger box, especially for a much larger scale than shma, plus accessories, $85 isn't feasible, which is why they said price wasn't cemented for him yet.

$130-$165 easy.

Destroyah might not have accessories past his wings to keep the prince down. I think everyone agrees 85 is out the window I just don't so it going to far past 150.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I meant Destroyah in my evolutions contemplation. Typed Hedorah by accident.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I imagine getting a separate Destoroyah evolutions pack is a possibility here.

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 pm Super7 is not charging 475 for Destroyah ever. As said already they will find a way to get the price down other wise there would be no fear with releasing Godzilla in the orginal 4 per wave.

You completely missed the context of why they changed the size of each wave; One time special-order super huge deluxe figure costing a lot of money is different than 2-4 solicitations a year of $350-400 of 1 month order windows.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SJM925 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:14 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 pm Super7 is not charging 475 for Destroyah ever. As said already they will find a way to get the price down other wise there would be no fear with releasing Godzilla in the orginal 4 per wave.

You completely missed the context of why they changed the size of each wave; One time special-order super huge deluxe figure costing a lot of money is different than 2-4 solicitations a year of $350-400 of 1 month order windows.
Destroyah is apart of a wave just like the other figures, he's not a special figure. He's coming with Burning Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I'm just super pumped that we are getting Destoroyah so early in the line, and it seems likely that, at the time it goes up, it will be the largest (non-vehicle) ULTIMATES! that Super7 will have ever done. It gives me confidence that any kaiju, regardless of size, is on the table if sales continue to support the line.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The release of a super popular American fan favorite monster that headlined one of the more successful Heisei films gives you confidence that anything is possible with this line?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:47 pm Isnt Super7's whole thing that they have MORE accessories though? I think getting Hedorah's evolutions as accessories for this line is basically a no brainer.

If you look at the latest power rangers wave reveal, they have Lord Zedd's throne as its own separate release. Also, for the thunder cats, they are releasing a bike for Mandora as a separate piece. I could see them releasing accessory packs for some kaiju like a Hedorah and Destroyah evolution packs separately or Garuda separate from Heisei Mechagodzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:25 am The release of a super popular American fan favorite monster that headlined one of the more successful Heisei films gives you confidence that anything is possible with this line?
Did I stutter?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

This is another example of someone comparing classic Toho Godzilla - which is still extremely niche in this country - to the likes of Power Rangers or Thundercats - which are white hot with the "ermagurd mah childhood" nostalgia crowd.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:56 am This is another example of someone comparing classic Toho Godzilla - which is still extremely niche in this country - to the likes of Power Rangers or Thundercats - which are white hot with the "ermagurd mah childhood" nostalgia crowd.
I understand the importance of grounding expectations, but let people dream, man. Super7 literally prides itself on being a company that makes toys nobody cares about and has only gotten bigger over the past 20 years. Based on how they're approaching these other lines, there's no reason as of now to doubt they would make deep cuts in Toho. We will see how it goes!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Destroyah gets made n nearly every Godzilla toy line and is in nearly every Godzilla game. Despite his size he's a more safe pick.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:19 pm Destroyah gets made n nearly every Godzilla toy line and is in nearly every Godzilla game. Despite his size he's a more safe pick.
EXACTLY.