Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by Legion1979 »

What bothers me is that Heisei/Millennium fans will spend those years saying, "Well, at least Showa fans have Mezco and ReAction". But shit, after over a decade of MonsterArts giving Showa fans crazy blue balls I think we're entitled to some larger, articulated figures of these guys.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:06 pm Personally I'd prefer they had bounced around between eras and done a mixture in each wave.

I'm glad to be corrected if I'm wrong but it seems like we can expect 4-ish figures per year? So let's assume Godzilla 89, Rose Biollante, Super Mechagodzilla, Burning Godzilla, Godzilla 84, Ghidorah 91, Mechaghidorah, Mothra 92, Battra, Fire Rodan, Space Godzilla, Moguera, maybe a pack of baby/litttle/Jr, at least one Destoroyah, Godzilla 99, Orga, Megaguirus, Godzilla 01, Mothra 01, Ghidorah 01, Baragon 01, Godzilla 02, Kiryu, and Mothra 03. That's 24 figures minimum. At four per year, six years until we get to anything Showa. Unless the release schedule is much faster than I'm thinking that's a pretty lousy prospect.
There were 3 months between waves 1 and 2 being revealed. Kyle also said we could expect another wave this year, so I would anticipate approximately one wave per quarter.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:08 am
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:47 am I doubt there is an embargo as much as it has to do with production schedules. S7 knows they can crank out most the Showa stuff relatively quickly in ReAction form, while Ultimates take longer so Heisei stuff makes more sense there. Plus it's easier to do stuff focused on films with the Heisei era.

If you do Showa, you almost have to bounce around to get creature variety because so many monsters repeat.
.....what? I'm not following any of your logic here.
It would take FOREVER to get through a decent portion of the Showa stuff with about 4-8 figures a year tops at the current Ultimates production schedule. And with S7 trying to do "waves" it makes more sense to do Heisei where you can easily assign monsters per film with little overlap. So G vs Biollante, G vs. MechaG, etc. Yes some films have multiple monsters, but it's still easier to do 1 or 2 monsters per film/wave with Heisei.

Showa has a lot more overlap and so in order to do a variety of monsters, you have to kinda bounce around, and can't as easily assign films/waves with 2 per wave.

But with ReAction you can hit most the Showa heavy hitters in 2 or 3 waves.

So the strategy they're employing makes a lot of sense and it's pretty easy to follow logic if you think about it that way.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I mean it's pretty much guaranteed they'll cover multiple Showa Godzilla suits but I don't know how deep they'll go into different suits for the other monsters. They didn't even make a unique mold from scratch for the 94-95 Godzilla suit. This line is going to be huge already, so if they want to actually finish it in any of our lifetimes I'm not sure how many repeats of the other monsters there will be.

How many have multiple really distinct alternate looks worth doing multiple $85 figures of? Anguirus and Rodan?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:25 pm I mean it's pretty much guaranteed they'll cover multiple Showa Godzilla suits but I don't know how deep they'll go into different suits for the other monsters. They didn't even make a unique mold from scratch for the 94-95 Godzilla suit. This line is going to be huge already, so if they want to actually finish it in any of our lifetimes I'm not sure how many repeats of the other monsters there will be.

How many have multiple really distinct alternate looks worth doing multiple $85 figures of? Anguirus and Rodan?
And even with the showa Godzilla suits they won't make repaints just for the sake of repaints. Like for example, you would have a normal 68 head, an Hedorah damaged head and hand, and a Gigan damaged head and arm/shoulder rather separate Hedorah and Gigan goji figures. Or in the case of showa Mechagodzilla we would likely have a terror head and hands.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

It's reasonable to theorize that they will want to release a definitive Showa Godzilla, and that may or may not come with alternate heads, hands, etc. to recreate the different suits. In his interview with SJM he said he wants the ratio of other kaiju to Godzilla to be something like 32 other kaiju and 6 Godzillas (he said this very casually so we can't hold him to it word for word). Releasing each individual Showa suit separately would probably torpedo the interest in the line, so releasing suits with interchangeable parts makes a lot of sense.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

At this point, in the short-term, all I want is an Ultimate Heisei Ghidorah.

I suspect we're going to get Destoroyah first, though.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:19 am At this point, in the short-term, all I want is an Ultimate Heisei Ghidorah.

I suspect we're going to get Destoroyah first, though.
Heisei Ghidorah is a release where I could see beam effects being included. I think they don't like the idea of releasing a Godzilla that has a beam but the spines aren't blue, but with Ghidorah he doesn't really have a "charged up" look. I also don't know what other accessories you would expect with Ghidorah, save for the alternate heads.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I...i really don't think Super7 is going to do a 1968 Godzilla with multiple body parts to create suit variations from several other films. I feel like we need to keep our expectations a little more realistic, guys.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

A simple and cheap approach to the Godzilla spine color would be to have them alone as Glow In The Dark. I did that with paint for my nephew's giant Bandai Godzilla and it works great (I painted the spines to the tail tip to glow, years later it still works fine). That would give the sort of 'beam fire' impression without having to use electronics, especially if you also made the beam effect glow. Here's an idea of that I did with NECA's Reactor Glow and a beam I painted with the same stuff I used on my nephew's figure:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

The predominant reason I'm saying it could happen is that the first Ultimate was solicited as "Heisei Godzilla" as opposed to "Godzilla 89" or "Godzilla vs. Biollante - Godzilla". That appears to me as them wanting to release definitive incarnations of Godzilla and avoid doing suits that are nearly identical. IF there are Showa suits that are similar enough to get away with it, I could see them coming with interchangeable parts.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:28 am I...i really don't think Super7 is going to do a 1968 Godzilla with multiple body parts to create suit variations from several other films. I feel like we need to keep our expectations a little more realistic, guys.
1. This is speculating if they did ultimate showa figures.
2. This is a known fact that Super 7 would rather give the customer extra Nolstalgic niche extras than do extra repaints. To give examples, the super 7 ninja turtles ultimates comes with a standard turtle head, a playmates based head, signature and playmates weapons with realistic style paint, and a weapons rack with a second set of weapons in playmates style paint. For the power rangers line, Green Ranger comes with a helmet head, standard Tommy head, evil Tommy head with the green bandana, standard dragon dagger, original toy paint color dagger, a laser rifle he only used for one episode, Standard dragon sheild and original action figure paint colored dragon sheild. Yellow Ranger has both trini and Aiesha heads, Pink Ranger has both kimberly and Kat heads. Even the Bio goji figure we are getting has a battle damaged hand that allows the rose Biollante vine to stap threw it.

It's not unrealistic Super 7 would give extra battle damage parts.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Fermix wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:07 am The predominant reason I'm saying it could happen is that the first Ultimate was solicited as "Heisei Godzilla" as opposed to "Godzilla 89" or "Godzilla vs. Biollante - Godzilla". That appears to me as them wanting to release definitive incarnations of Godzilla and avoid doing suits that are nearly identical. IF there are Showa suits that are similar enough to get away with it, I could see them coming with interchangeable parts.
This is why I said the plan to do Heisei stuff as Ultimates first makes more sense. Godzilla looked different, sometimes vastly different in every Showa film. Although there were changes in each Heisei film, to the untrained eye, they largely looked the same.

I suspect we'll get a "50s Godzilla" and a "60s Godzilla" and maybe a "70s Godzilla" if and when they do Showa ultimates.

Almost no one would buy every Showa incarnation. Remember their market is more than just hardcore kaiju fans.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:44 am
Fermix wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:07 am The predominant reason I'm saying it could happen is that the first Ultimate was solicited as "Heisei Godzilla" as opposed to "Godzilla 89" or "Godzilla vs. Biollante - Godzilla". That appears to me as them wanting to release definitive incarnations of Godzilla and avoid doing suits that are nearly identical. IF there are Showa suits that are similar enough to get away with it, I could see them coming with interchangeable parts.
This is why I said the plan to do Heisei stuff as Ultimates first makes more sense. Godzilla looked different, sometimes vastly different in every Showa film. Although there were changes in each Heisei film, to the untrained eye, they largely looked the same.

I suspect we'll get a "50s Godzilla" and a "60s Godzilla" and maybe a "70s Godzilla" if and when they do Showa ultimates.

Almost no one would buy every Showa incarnation. Remember their market is more than just hardcore kaiju fans.
Super7 makes products for hardcore fans. Casual fans are not spending 85 on a Godzilla figure that is coming out in a year.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Interesting question then, would people here buy EVERY Showa suit if Super7 made them of similar quality to the two suits we've seen so far? I certainly wouldn't.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

Fermix wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:59 pm Interesting question then, would people here buy EVERY Showa suit if Super7 made them of similar quality to the two suits we've seen so far? I certainly wouldn't.
I’d say it’d depend on two things.
1. What accessories comes with it. If it comes with a ton of movie specific stuff then I’d probably be down for it.
2. My wallet.
:terrestris:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Havoks wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:14 pm
Fermix wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:59 pm Interesting question then, would people here buy EVERY Showa suit if Super7 made them of similar quality to the two suits we've seen so far? I certainly wouldn't.
I’d say it’d depend on two things.
1. What accessories comes with it. If it comes with a ton of movie specific stuff then I’d probably be down for it.
2. My wallet.
Assuming a comparable amount of accessories to the first two releases

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

NECA improved its Godzillas over time. I own both the Ultimate Voltron and the Ultimate Optimus Prime, and I can tell you the company has improved its articulation engineering significantly. So it’s fairly likely later Ultimate Godzillas will be better than the earlier ones. Even the reception to Burning Godzilla already seemed a little better than the one to BioGoji.

That said, at this point I’ve got the same somewhat sinking feeling I had in the early MonsterArts days - that it’s going to be a long haul (4-6 years) before we see any Showa figures.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:10 pm
Super7 makes products for hardcore fans. Casual fans are not spending 85 on a Godzilla figure that is coming out in a year.
Do they skew more “hardcore” than Hasbro? Sure. But their entire market plan is to cast a wide net. They are not catering to just the hardcore kaiju fan. They are courting everyone with an interest.

Their concept is basically “niche for the mainstream”. So you will see deep cuts and oddball things and properties but done in a way that it is palpable to a wider audience.
Last edited by InfiniteHollywood on Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

:Gigan: :KingGhidorah64: Here's to hoping we can get a Showa GIgan and King Ghidorah sometime in the future!

If a good portion of Showa stuff is just going to end up as the 3 inch line I'll be pretty fucking upset lol. But I some what feel like that'll be the case.