Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by Fermix »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:12 pmMeanwhile, Millennium fans are starved for almost anything not Kiryu. Highly articulated Orga and Megaguirus would be a god send.
Both Brian and Kyle have made it sound like they'll do everything up until Final Wars before going to Showa
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Fermix wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:19 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:12 pmMeanwhile, Millennium fans are starved for almost anything not Kiryu. Highly articulated Orga and Megaguirus would be a god send.
Both Brian and Kyle have made it sound like they'll do everything up until Final Wars before going to Showa
Fun, because that won't take years.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:12 pm
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:03 pm Brian has already made it clear, Reaction is going to be Showa and Ultimates Heisei until they fell like they're running out of steam doing one or the other and then they may do others and switch roles, etc.
Meanwhile, Millennium fans are starved for almost anything not Kiryu. Highly articulated Orga and Megaguirus would be a god send.
Monsterarts has given us GMK Godzilla, Sakai Godzilla 2000, Kiryu Godzilla, Final Wars Gigan, Final Wars Godzilla, and Monster x soon. Neca got us GMK and Tokyo SOS Godzilla.

Given that GMK was the most successful Millenium Godzilla movie and baragons popularity in Japan, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a monsterarts for the rest of the GMK cast.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

I’d like an Orga figure at some point. Didn’t Brian in some recent interview (or the guy Ultrazilla interviewed last week) mention the possibility of a accessory pack, name dropping super x 1 and 2? I swore I heard it just recently.
:terrestris:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:48 pm
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:03 pm Brian has already made it clear, Reaction is going to be Showa and Ultimates Heisei until they fell like they're running out of steam doing one or the other and then they may do others and switch roles, etc.
Meanwhile, Millennium fans are starved for almost anything not Kiryu. Highly articulated Orga and Megaguirus would be a god send.
Monsterarts has given us GMK Godzilla, Sakai Godzilla 2000, Kiryu Godzilla, Final Wars Gigan, Final Wars Godzilla, and Monster x soon. Neca got us GMK and Tokyo SOS Godzilla.

Given that GMK was the most successful Millenium Godzilla movie and baragons popularity in Japan, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a monsterarts for the rest of the GMK cast.
Yeah, you know exactly who and what I'm talking about when I say millennium fans are being starved of representation. But nice try though. Monster X is a valid counterpoint though, even if way overdue.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:02 pm

Yeah, you know exactly who and what I'm talking about when I say millennium fans are being starved of representation. But nice try though. Monster X is a valid counterpoint though, even if way overdue.
I have no idea what you're talking about nor do I care. You said non kiryu millennium representation, I provided 5 monsterarts examples that are millennium while having absolutely no connection to Kiryu whatsoever and one monsterarts Godzilla that pertains to Kiryu.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

To be fair, there are like 30+ Kaiju incarnations in Millenium and you've listed 6. There is certainly potential to be had.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I don’t think it HAS to be, it’s merely the strategy that they’ve chosen to explore. S7 for better or worse have a plan and they have shown they’re willing to go outside the box some but I would guess they will stick largely to what they have rough mapped out.

As for millennium, I agree there’s a lot to be done there. But again with S7, they’re retro kinda guys. Brian can talk all kinds of kaiju and is a old school vinyl guy, but I’m guessing he’s less aware of the millennium stuff. I’d say most people are.

Outside of Kiyru which is just another Mecha G design to most people and then we usually get Shin cause he’s so new and different but the other 2000s movies just don’t have enough patina on them yet. So they get pushed further down the “we must make” list for a lot of these places.

And of course I think if you’re catering to sort of mainstream fans beyond just hardcore G fans, a lot of folks just don’t know some of those monsters.

Brian has said like, if they do a Hedorah, it’s unlikely it’ll be a Final Wars design. So I just think that’s where the mindset is.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:07 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:02 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about nor do I care. You said non kiryu millennium representation, I provided 5 monsterarts examples that are millennium while having absolutely no connection to Kiryu whatsoever and one monsterarts Godzilla that pertains to Kiryu.
"SHMA Doesn't do enough Showa!"
"Whaaaat. They did Godzilla '54, Godzilla '64, Godzilla '62, MechaGodzilla 1974 AND a HEDORAH!"

If you think members of the top 5 count as real representation, you and I are on different wave lengths. Showa has as much rep as the millennium era, and it's blah. I'll agree with someone like Legion on that. We have yet to get any of the new comer kaiju of the millennium, with Monster X being the first since the line's conception almost a decade ago.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

It's just so odd to me. Super7 has clearly had no problem licensing Showa for their ReAction line, and Mezco is giving us tons of Showa stuff in their 5 points line, and then there are the Playmates vinyls. So it's not like Toho is opposed to the Showa era entirely. There seems to be specifically an issue with larger, more articulated stuff in the Showa scale. Mezco's 18" and One:12 Godzillas are both Heisei.

And it doesn't even make sense to suggest that Bandai is throwing their weight around and trying to suppress their MonsterArts competition, because it's not as if they're doing tons of Showa-era kaiju in MonsterArts. If anything, the Heisei/Millennium stuff competes with them more.

I have to believe Super7 would have preferred to start with Showa-era Ultimates. There's already a glut of Heisei-era figures available (NECA's stuff, MonsterArts, and now Mezco). I have no idea why they're not, unless it's the classic "we've got to start with Heisei because we want to do as many eras and monsters as possible, and if we start with Showa no one will ever buy the later stuff."
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Its definitely a weird situation. I think Showa feels more up Super7's alley than anything else honestly. If you had told me beforehand I would have guessed that Super7 would do Showa and Mezco would do Heisei. Its weird because there really is so much Godzilla stuff on the market now, perhaps more than last year even, and that was crazy last year. But within all that stuff, there is so little actual variety. I want Orga and Zilla and Titanosaurus and all those one-timers.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I doubt there is an embargo as much as it has to do with production schedules. S7 knows they can crank out most the Showa stuff relatively quickly in ReAction form, while Ultimates take longer so Heisei stuff makes more sense there. Plus it's easier to do stuff focused on films with the Heisei era.

If you do Showa, you almost have to bounce around to get creature variety because so many monsters repeat.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:47 am I doubt there is an embargo as much as it has to do with production schedules. S7 knows they can crank out most the Showa stuff relatively quickly in ReAction form, while Ultimates take longer so Heisei stuff makes more sense there. Plus it's easier to do stuff focused on films with the Heisei era.

If you do Showa, you almost have to bounce around to get creature variety because so many monsters repeat.
.....what? I'm not following any of your logic here.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

The Godzilla license provides a unique opportunity given that it's one of, if not the oldest property that Super7 currently handles. We knew that they would come out of the gate with ReAction and Ultimates, it was just a question of what point in Godzilla's long history they were going to start, and they chose 2 different points. To fans that grew up in the 90s and 00s, they look at Heisei as their Godzilla and the modern form factor of the Ultimates toys feels nostalgic and familiar. The same applies to Showa and ReAction; the ReAction figures feel like a toy you would have gotten if you were a kid when those movies came out. Their approach of having the two lines approach one another also means that they will regularly be releasing both older and newer Kaiju, meaning that there is something familiar for all fans of Godzilla releasing every so often.

This approach obviously does nothing for the many fans looking for modernized Showa toys. The only comfort I can suggest is that starting with Heisei gives a lot of room to sort out the "growing pains" of beginning a new line. When I think about how big of a difference there is between NECA's KiryuGoji and their SpaceGoji, I'm happy to wait it out and give Super7 a chance to sharpen their claws and make sure the Showa Ultimates are knocked out of the park.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Anyone know if they Super7 panel on kaiju collectibles was recorded?

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

That is something I was wondering about as well.
:terrestris:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

KingKaiju wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:05 pm Anyone know if they Super7 panel on kaiju collectibles was recorded?
Super7 replied to a comment on Instagram saying the panel was recorded, but they didn't know what the organizers intentions were with the recording

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Nosferatu and Universal Monsters are both older, but neither has the sheer amount of collectible merchandisability that Godzilla has. DOZENS of monsters, over a part of literally two centuries. Very few franchises in general come close in terms of both age and opportunity.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Fermix wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:12 pm
KingKaiju wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:05 pm Anyone know if they Super7 panel on kaiju collectibles was recorded?
Super7 replied to a comment on Instagram saying the panel was recorded, but they didn't know what the organizers intentions were with the recording
Hopefully we see something soon then!

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Personally I'd prefer they had bounced around between eras and done a mixture in each wave.

I'm glad to be corrected if I'm wrong but it seems like we can expect 4-ish figures per year? So let's assume Godzilla 89, Rose Biollante, Super Mechagodzilla, Burning Godzilla, Godzilla 84, Ghidorah 91, Mechaghidorah, Mothra 92, Battra, Fire Rodan, Space Godzilla, Moguera, maybe a pack of baby/litttle/Jr, at least one Destoroyah, Godzilla 99, Orga, Megaguirus, Godzilla 01, Mothra 01, Ghidorah 01, Baragon 01, Godzilla 02, Kiryu, and Mothra 03. That's 24 figures minimum. At four per year, six years until we get to anything Showa. Unless the release schedule is much faster than I'm thinking that's a pretty lousy prospect.