Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by UltramanGoji »

canofhumdingers wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:37 pm They’ve already stated they don’t have the ability to do Kong or MechaniKong in one of the interviews or press releases or something. Don’t remember exactly which source it was, but Super7 explicitly stated they couldn’t do those two already.
Facebook post, I believe.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 am NECA themselves have done the same regarding "Multiple versions of Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah"
Exactly. A toy company can say they're (note the use of the future tense) "going to make" all sorts of things, but if retailer preorders or other cost factors don't make it worthwhile, said toy is not going to get produced.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

It was the interview with PixelDan.

It's not odd to me, but in going back through the King Kong thread, looks like Toho doesn't even technically own Mechani-Kong? Owned by Universal. So it would seem the issue doesn't lay with Toho, but Universal and their partners.

When was time ANYTHING based on TohoKong or Mechani-Kong was officially released?
Pkmatrix wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:36 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Which explains a LOT as to how K:SI got made. Legendary and Warner Bros. didn't have to pay ANYBODY to make their movie, because it had NOTHING to do with the previous iterations of Kong. Also, it means that Bandai/Tamashii only needs Toho's permission to make Showa Kong toys, as ONLY Toho owns their version of Kong, as it has nothing to do with the 1933 version...
OK, here's one in regards to Showa Kong.

Toho's permission must only extend to Japan, or Asia in particular? Hence why no Showa Kong stuff officially released or shown outside of Asia (no toys, other merch or appearances in comics or video games).

Toho would need Universal, or whomever's permission to use Showa Kong in any form outside of Asia?

Didn't Toho get kongblocked when trying to use Kong, and then by extension Mechani-Kong in a later Godzilla movie?

On the subject of the latter, how does all of this affect Mechani-Kong, as well I suppose KKE version of Gorogsaurus and/or Giant Sea Serpent?
Not sure about the KKvG version of Kong, that one is in some really murky waters...presumably, if they wanted to use the likeness of KKvG Kong they'd need Universal's permission. The King Kong Escapes version of Kong and Mechani-Kong are outright owned by Universal. Mechani-Kong is not a Toho creation, he was a character created for the King Kong cartoon series by Rankin/Bass for RKO - KKE is a live action movie adaptation of the cartoon.

None of this has to do with Universal having distributed the movies (that's just how they got involved), but rather because of the outcome of Cooper v. RKO. After the courts forced RKO to hand over all the contracts and licensing agreements and tie-in merchandise etc. to the Cooper family, the Coopers turned around and sold most of it to Universal. That's how Universal ended up with the Rankin/Bass King Kong cartoon (and, because of that, Mechani-Kong).

I think Gorosaurus and the Giant Sea Serpent in KKE were original Toho characters created for the movie? And thus are owned by Toho.

Toho's issue with Kong in the '90s was that they tried to cut a deal with Ted Turner, who had bought the rights to the 1933 movies. It's not clear whether they were unaware of all these court decisions and though they needed to get the rights from Turner because they had bought them from RKO previously, or were trying to be extra cautious. (Kong Unmade has a chapter on this, but I haven't gotten to it yet - very interested in reading what the book has to say on the whole thing!) The Godzilla vs. Mechan-Kong project died when Toho looked into the rights situation and realized they didn't own Mechani-Kong and didn't want to bother with trying to figure out who did.
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Couldn't NECA just release a "Robot Ape"
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I'm sure they could.

I wonder if this license just stays with "Godzilla kaiju", "movie kaiju" or "extended kajiu?"

First obviously kaiju in movies with G, second Toho movies kaiju, and third is kaiju that appeared outside of movies.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:03 pm I'm sure they could.

I wonder if this license just stays with "Godzilla kaiju", "movie kaiju" or "extended kajiu?"

First obviously kaiju in movies with G, second Toho movies kaiju, and third is kaiju that appeared outside of movies.
1st: yes, obviously
2nd: likely. Be pretty easy if they have the rights to Varan, Rodan and Mothra to make versions of their initial movies
3rd: need some clarification on what you mean. Like, novel and game kaiju?

RIP Evan.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I'm betting on they have rights to anything that appeared in the Toho Godzilla films up to Shin.
I heard Netflix was giving NECA issues for Godzilla Earth so I don't know about that. And Singular Point may have the same issue.
I don't think they'd have the rights to things like Maguma, Dogora, and that like. But maybe Kamobeas since he appeared in Tokyo SOS?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

SoggyNoodles2016

From what I can tell, Toho has lumped in basically every kaiju except for a few exceptions like the ROM trilogy guys and Mechani-Kong as Godzilla kaiju, so I think it's likely that when they say "all the kaiju", it means ALL the kaiju.

RIP Evan.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:55 am From what I can tell, Toho has lumped in basically every kaiju except for a few exceptions like the ROM trilogy guys and Mechani-Kong as Godzilla kaiju, so I think it's likely that when they say "all the kaiju", it means ALL the kaiju.
But Daghara became a Godzilla monster when he was put in the anime trilogy right?

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

The exciting thing about this line's potential is given Super7's penchant for licensing, we could get Ultimates of other monsters such as the Rhedosaurus, Ymir, Clover, Talos, Pulgasari - hell, maybe they'll nab Pacific Rim and do a few Jaegers!

That said, what I want is a complete Showa collection, from ShodaiGoji through Titanosaurus.

Here's an idea for a first wave: Titanosaurus, SoshingekiGoji, Jet Jaguar, Varan. I feel like that would make a statement as to their commitment to go deep on the line.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

SoggyNoodles2016

DirektorSplennic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:59 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:55 am From what I can tell, Toho has lumped in basically every kaiju except for a few exceptions like the ROM trilogy guys and Mechani-Kong as Godzilla kaiju, so I think it's likely that when they say "all the kaiju", it means ALL the kaiju.
But Daghara became a Godzilla monster when he was put in the anime trilogy right?
I'm not completely sure, I'm only going off of the info pre 2016, but given all the ROM monsters were in Defense Force, I would say yes.

RIP Evan.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:04 am
Mr. Yellow wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:03 pm I'm sure they could.

1st: yes, obviously
2nd: likely. Be pretty easy if they have the rights to Varan, Rodan and Mothra to make versions of their initial movies
3rd: need some clarification on what you mean. Like, novel and game kaiju?
Last one means just any kaiju from ancillary material (that they own of course).

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Nathus214 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:52 am I'm betting on they have rights to anything that appeared in the Toho Godzilla films up to Shin.
I'm betting that they only have the rights to the shodai era monsters.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

That's disappointing if so, what makes you think that?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:32 am The exciting thing about this line's potential is given Super7's penchant for licensing, we could get Ultimates of other monsters such as the Rhedosaurus, Ymir, Clover, Talos, Pulgasari - hell, maybe they'll nab Pacific Rim and do a few Jaegers!

That said, what I want is a complete Showa collection, from ShodaiGoji through Titanosaurus.

Here's an idea for a first wave: Titanosaurus, SoshingekiGoji, Jet Jaguar, Varan. I feel like that would make a statement as to their commitment to go deep on the line.
Please oh please let them do a Clover and Pacific Rim line also!!
I am super excited for next year!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Don't normally bump, but I'm super(7) excited about this line. Brian Flynn did an interview the Major Wrestling Figure podcast and gave insight into his figure production (nothing specific about lines outside of NJPW), really worth a listen for anyone. With their penchant for the other kaiju and monsters, I'd say non-Toho characters are a distinct possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a3ICQb ... PodNetwork

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

If they do Gamera, and give us a new Gyaos and Legion, I'd be ecstatic.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Fingers crossed for the Rhedosaurus, Ymir, and the Kraken!

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

So I've been thinking about accessories for the Ultimates line. My hope is that Super7 focuses primarily on the Showa era. And if they do, there are lots of movie-specific accessories they can include (aside from streets and so forth - and actually, what I'd love to see is a "collect and connect" city scene included with all the monsters in a given wave).

Any film with aliens (Monster Zero, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla) can come with UFOs. Practically any monster from that era can come with Maser tanks.

One thing I do wonder about - I'm willing to bet they licensed Gaira and Sanda. But Gaira and Sanda are about 30m tall compared to the standard 50m of most other Showa kaiju. Does super7 produce them in scale to those other monsters, or make them the same basic size?

Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

My prediction for wave 1

Godzilla 2019
King Ghidorah 2019

Godzilla Heisei
Mothra Heisei.

Wave 2

Godzilla 1954
Shin Godzilla

Rodan 56
Mechagodzilla 74

I would love a DAM set no matter the cost.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image