Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:42 amsuoer obscure we don't have a million figs of yet.
Like Rose Biollante?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Well yeah, but that's really a Heisei exception. Everything else in our immediate Super 7 future is going to be something we've gotten already from Bandai, either in vinyl or Monsterarts form.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Remember those resin protos are likely to seem a bit more blocky and static because while they have joints and stuff they are basically glued together and the final product should fit more flush.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:08 am Come on, let's be real. Who is going to pay what these cost and then actually PLAY with them?
Its a toy aesthetic I think, more than being actual toys. Super7's whole brand is being nostalgic. These Godzilla Ultimates represent what our Godzilla toys felt like when we were kids. Like how we imagined them being. If that makes sense. I absolutely love it. It makes these figures super unique compared to all of the other ones coming out. Gives a reason to buy them alongside other lines coming out.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:23 am Well yeah, but that's really a Heisei exception. Everything else in our immediate Super 7 future is going to be something we've gotten already from Bandai, either in vinyl or Monsterarts form.
1. We also have the Ultimate Shogon Godzilla.
2. Several of the Monsterarts are quite a few years old now like the Burning Godzilla and Heisei Mechagodzilla (in fact the monsterarts is the most recent figure and that's Several years old).
3. Showa is being decently represented between the reaction line, mezco, and to smaller extent playmates and even monsterarts.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:08 am
Fermix wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:04 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:55 amWhich is kinda what they’re going for I guess. High quality toys that are very clearly meant to be good *toys* and not fragile collectors items or pose-able models.
Yes. Very much this. It drives me nuts when people compare the Ultimates to SHMA. They are very different products, with Super7 focusing on making toys that you can play with.
Come on, let's be real. Who is going to pay what these cost and then actually PLAY with them?
I get that. But at the same time, I see there being a market for more durable collectibles. As an example, sometimes when watching tv at night with my wife, if we’re watching one of her shows that doesn’t really interest me I’ll grab a figure from my collection and mess with it while I half watch the show or browse on my phone. In such instances I rarely grab an SHMA or X-plus due to their fragility. I will often grab a Bandai or a Marmit/gigabrain. Even if it’s a quite expensive figure, the durability means I’m far less likely to break it in such a situation.

That being said, I don’t really see myself collecting this line. Just not what I’m looking for. I might change my tune if they do G’84 or some Showa stuff.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, I've kinda grown cold on most of them after more and more pics came out. The Rose Biollante is a great piece but I just don't think they fit in anywhere with my collection as it is.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Shit, the Bandai vinyls are meant as toys for literal children and their recent 1991 Godzilla is a more accurate and proportionate portrayal of that suit than the Super7 figures are. If I wanted something toylike and stumpy I'd buy a Marmit or a Gigabrain.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Idk, the Super7 is more or less accurate I feel. Its basically a better version of the NECA figure, and that works for me.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:58 pm Idk, the Super7 is more or less accurate I feel. Its basically a better version of the NECA figure, and that works for me.
I think the body proportioning on the Necas were better than what we've seen of the Super7 figures, but that's just me. The lower bodies on the Super7 Godzillas are stump city.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:08 am
Fermix wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:04 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:55 amWhich is kinda what they’re going for I guess. High quality toys that are very clearly meant to be good *toys* and not fragile collectors items or pose-able models.
Yes. Very much this. It drives me nuts when people compare the Ultimates to SHMA. They are very different products, with Super7 focusing on making toys that you can play with.
Come on, let's be real. Who is going to pay what these cost and then actually PLAY with them?
This question sounds completely and utterly ridiculous when you consider that we are talking about toys.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Duh, they're toys. But raise your hand ADULTS, if you actually play with your Godzilla toys. I don't mean pose them in different positions on your shelf and whatnot. I mean slam them into each other, bang them around and play act the movies.

And of you actually do that, would you do that with a $80 item like these?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:08 pm I think the body proportioning on the Necas were better than what we've seen of the Super7 figures, but that's just me. The lower bodies on the Super7 Godzillas are stump city.
I suppose it depends on person to person, but I think the head matters more honestly. Its also worth mentioning that nearly all of the photos here are from a downward angle. In the video preview where its facing forward, the proportions look more or less suit accurate. Meanwhile NECA's 89 definitely had a shorter torso which bothered me a bit, not to mention the chipmunk face.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:29 pm Duh, they're toys. But raise your hand ADULTS, if you actually play with your Godzilla toys. I don't mean pose them in different positions on your shelf and whatnot. I mean slam them into each other, bang them around and play act the movies.

And of you actually do that, would you do that with a $80 item like these?
There are literally dozens of collectable items that aren't used for their intended purposes. People collect stamps, skate decks, shoes, etc. They are all built for their intended purpose, even if that's not the purpose they end up serving.

These might not be for you, and that's fine, but I think it's less fine when you try to discredit the merit of the items that others do like. Just move on.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I agree to an extent. Legion has a right to talk about his opinion, even if he doesn't like the figures. So long as the dialogue is productive its probably fine. Some people Ive seen on other platforms have just trashed figures for the sake of it and even specifically responded to people who LIKE said figures just to trash them even more. Not naming names, but thats the point for me when someone moves over into asshole territory.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:27 pm I agree to an extent. Legion has a right to talk about his opinion, even if he doesn't like the figures. So long as the dialogue is productive its probably fine. Some people Ive seen on other platforms have just trashed figures for the sake of it and even specifically responded to people who LIKE said figures just to trash them even more. Not naming names, but thats the point for me when someone moves over into asshole territory.
I am totally fine with people voicing criticism of the figures.

It's absurd to compare durable toys to expertly-sculpted collectibles under the rationale of "Well who's really gonna play with the toy?"

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Something else to remember when it comes to toylines and collections, there's always going to be a character or era that fans complain are underrepresented. Examples:
1. Transformers: fans complaining that there's too much G1 design focuses and not enough unicron trilogy representation.
2. Power Rangers lightning collection: too much mmpr and Jason David Frank, not enough Time force, or villains outside mmpr.
3. Ultraman: too much focus on ultras and aliens, not enough kaiju.

For us, it's simply not enough showa (even though Mezco and the reaction line is partially filling that gap).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Brian has already made it clear, Reaction is going to be Showa and Ultimates Heisei until they fell like they're running out of steam doing one or the other and then they may do others and switch roles, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:03 pm Brian has already made it clear, Reaction is going to be Showa and Ultimates Heisei until they fell like they're running out of steam doing one or the other and then they may do others and switch roles, etc.
Meanwhile, Millennium fans are starved for almost anything not Kiryu. Highly articulated Orga and Megaguirus would be a god send.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Personally, I dont understand why these toy lines can't be a mix of everything. Why the does the ReAction series HAVE to be only Showa while the Ultimates HAVE to be only Heisei?