Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by canofhumdingers »

I always thought the “Jumbosaurus” version released in Japan by Popy looked like the superior toy. At least it was actually recognizable as Godzilla.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Love the Toynami version and the Popy figure. The new Super7 figure is definitely cool to see, even if it isnt for everyone. Which, honestly, is a good sign. That they are willing to cover figures that not everyone will be into but are important to the history of Godzilla toys. Makes me excited to see what else is in store.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:59 am I always thought the “Jumbosaurus” version released in Japan by Popy looked like the superior toy. At least it was actually recognizable as Godzilla.

Wow I never knew about that! I love the Bullmark style head. Very cool.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:17 am Love the Toynami version and the Popy figure. The new Super7 figure is definitely cool to see, even if it isnt for everyone. Which, honestly, is a good sign. That they are willing to cover figures that not everyone will be into but are important to the history of Godzilla toys. Makes me excited to see what else is in store.
Very well said, this could prove to be a diverse and exciting line! I wonder if we'll get more reveals this month.

Also fully agree with everyone who suggested Trendmasters-inspired figures. Always loved that line and anything that pays homage to them would be spectacular!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:40 pm $25 huh?

Kind of makes those 4" four-figure box sets from Mezco with swappable parts and effects parts for $70-$80 not look so bad, huh?
Honestly (speaking on this tangent), the more I've thought about those Mezco sets, the more I think they're actually very reasonably priced by the current standards of this hobby.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I agree, the only reason I haven't sprung for them is they wouldn't work well with what I already have. If the finished product is as well done as the promo shots, they wind up being a very good option for 'monster collection in a box'.

I really do look forwards to the Ultimates, though. I'm still hoping for something that'll be a good MonsterArts alternative with less fragility.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

Super 7 ReAction line Shogun Warriors Godzilla went up on their website today. Sold out in like 2 hours.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Luckily, I was able to buy one of the Shogun mini Gs as soon as they went on sale. It's a total concession to my nostalgia, but it will put a smile on my face.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Geez, I’m glad I didn’t particularly want one. Didn’t even know they were going up today.

This is really becoming a major problem with collecting these days. Seemingly across all brands/manufacturers. Everything, even basic items that should be readily available, sell out on preorders. Often within hours. Sometimes even literally within minutes for more limited or desired items. It’s getting to the point of sucking all fun out of the hobby.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm This is really becoming a major problem with collecting these days. Seemingly across all brands/manufacturers. Everything, even basic items that should be readily available, sell out on preorders. Often within hours. Sometimes even literally within minutes for more limited or desired items. It’s getting to the point of sucking all fun out of the hobby.
Yep, 100%.

I was at work when it went up (got to pay for these things somehow!), so I figured I'd just grab it when I got home. But, nope, missed the roughly one-hour window where it was available. Pretty shitty, especially when you see Ebay flooded with scalpers who were able to get their copies. Guess I'm supposed to just go fuck myself for trying to make a living, thanks Super7.

Oh well, can't win them all. Doesn't Super7 do a lot of repaints? Maybe they'll release another version down the line...

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm This is really becoming a major problem with collecting these days. Seemingly across all brands/manufacturers. Everything, even basic items that should be readily available, sell out on preorders. Often within hours. Sometimes even literally within minutes for more limited or desired items. It’s getting to the point of sucking all fun out of the hobby.
Toy collecting has become trendy now, thanks to the larger presence of "nerd culture" these days. What was once considered niche is now dominating popular culture. Comic books used to be something only a select few people really enjoyed but now adaptations of them are making the most money out of anything in Hollywood. Toy collecting has become something like that as well, it used to be pretty niche compared to other hobbies but now things like Funkos make it more accessible for people which, hey that's great! But it's also coming at the cost of more and more companies buying into the idea that collectors are all about "The Chase" when most of us...just want the things in our hands. I've no interest setting an alarm for an early morning drop for an exclusive figure to [x] website or storefront, I just want to be able to buy the items I'm looking for to complete my collection without any hassle or problem.

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

I was able to acquire the figure and Rorschach t-shirt. I did think about getting a second figure; but outside of reselling it- I didn't see any point in buying another one.

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:50 pm
Toy collecting has become trendy now, thanks to the larger presence of "nerd culture" these days. What was once considered niche is now dominating popular culture. Comic books used to be something only a select few people really enjoyed but now adaptations of them are making the most money out of anything in Hollywood. Toy collecting has become something like that as well, it used to be pretty niche compared to other hobbies but now things like Funkos make it more accessible for people which, hey that's great! But it's also coming at the cost of more and more companies buying into the idea that collectors are all about "The Chase" when most of us...just want the things in our hands. I've no interest setting an alarm for an early morning drop for an exclusive figure to [x] website or storefront, I just want to be able to buy the items I'm looking for to complete my collection without any hassle or problem.
I agree.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I was wondering why I couldn't find the link for the Reaction Shogun Godzilla. Then I realized that it was a con exclusive. FUCK!!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm Snip
Snip
I don't care for the modem toy collecting landscape. It seems like most toys sell out due to savvy social media marketing and resulting manufactured demand, especially since everyone got trapped inside due to the pandemic.
I'm softer on a company like Super7 because they're smaller and independent (from what I know) unlike your Hasbros, but it still sucks that this was an exclusive because I was toying (heh) with the idea of grabbing one.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Artificial Scarcity is killing the hobby.

Store and site exclusives, the idea that preorders can sell out at a specific unknown time, for release some time in 2 years, is insane.. Most people can't get their hands on figures these days because of the absolute abysmal nature of the market right now.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

It's worth noting that most (all?) of Super7's Ultimates are made-to-order - as long as you get in on the initial order, you're good.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I will say though, as bummed as I am that I missed this figure, it makes me really excited to see what they have in store when they drop the Godzilla Ultimates.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Everything here is accurate it hurts.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

My lil' Shogun Godzilla also arrived today, like it's suddenly Kaiju Christmas around here. As I expected, he's launched lots of old memories and nostalgia bliss. He's a total cutie pie. Love his mean, ugly look. I'm already scared that I'll repeat history and snap off the red lever like I did in the 70s. His big brother must be in the closet somewhere. I'll have to dig him out for photos.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

This is what killed the sneaker game for me. Things were always in demand, but I was always okay to grab them if I went the day of the release. At some point, I started to have to go line up at the mall at 4am, and now it's all about crazy raffles, that are rigged, and then immediate after-market prices where they spike, at least, $100. It was way too much effort and money to keep up. I pray to god that toys stay far away from reaching those levels of insanity.