Monogram Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Monogram Thread

Post by Shenanigans »

Seems like every other toy company with the Godzilla license has a thread, so I figured I'd make one for Monogram. Smaller company some might not even know is making Godzilla stuff. They've made a couple of figure banks. A few other random accessories like pins and lanyards too.

Their main product, however, is these adorable little "bag clip" figures!

UPDATED 2022

Classic Wave 1:

Classic Wave 2:

Classic Wave 3:

KOTM Set:

Godzilla vs. Kong set:

Classic Wave 4:

I was initially drawn to these due to the selection. When's the last time we saw a Varan figure, or Gabara, or Minilla? From an American company no less! I also appreciate the likes of Rainbow Mothra and the Dorat (!) from the Heisei set. The style isn't for everybody, but I never thought I'd be able to walk into Target and see toys of some of these characters, so that's pretty cool.

For me, there's almost a nostalgia factor; reminds me of the good old days when Bandai had their own little SD lines that had a lot of these Showa characters. Also reminds me of a time when Bandai actually acknowledged some of these more obscure kaiju. Based on recent years, I have a hard time picturing Bandai releasing anything of this nature with such a wide selection of characters. I'd admit I also rather like the blind bag approach for little figures like this; reminds me of other toys I used to collect as a kid, never knowing what you were going to get (unless you tried to feel it through the bag - can't even do that anymore!).

Anyone else collect these?
Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am, edited 7 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monogram Thread

Post by Shenanigans »

Well this thread was popular, lol. Guess there wasn't much to discuss. Let's change that!

Godzilla vs. Kong set!
Spoiler:
And - Classic Godzilla Wave 3!

I'm hyped for these! Adore this cartoony style, and a great selection to boot. With these, they've effectively covered the vast majority of the Godzilla catalog.

EDIT: Here's the video these are from - plus a look at those wave 3 exclusives!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hey, these are really neat! Not something I'd try to collect, but I'd love having a Gabara or another monster. Also the choice of the Mothra Larva from 2019 is interesting.

Also, I added a spoiler tag to the Godzilla vs. Kong one. No biggie, but there's some monsters there that haven't even been announced. Still looking cool though!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wave 3 is actually pretty epic but between all these other toy lines I wouldn't be able to collect these lil dudes too
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'll be keeping my eye out for these when I'm out. Would like to get a few from both sets.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I love these things. They make great little shelf liners. Really glad to see the milennium kaiju not getting ignored with Monster X, Orga and Megaguirus in the next wave. Really hoping that chase is a Zilla, though. Going to be let down if it is just another Minilla. I suppose it could also be Gorosaurus. Not really sure what they could do past a Wave 4, which should round the entire Godzilla pantheon out unless they did into Toho's other kaiju.

Godzilla (GMK), Gigan (Final Wars), MechaGodzilla (1974), Zilla, Gorosaurus, Keizer Ghidorah, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Mothra Larva, and Battra Larva would be my guess. If I'm right about Zilla or Gorosaurus being the current mystery chase, replace him with Rose Biollante.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The chase figures for wave 3 are Manda/Gotengo and Shin Godzilla, aka one of my new favorites from this line. Just look at this ridiculous fucking thing:
Spoiler:
Honestly though, I'm really glad he was included personally even if it is just another Godzilla; truly makes it feel like they're trying to touch upon every era of the franchise. Also agreed on the inclusion of Millennium kaiju, characters like Orga and Monster X in particular usually get excluded from lines like this.

Truth be told I wasn't even sure if they were going to do a third wave, but they seemed to be selling well whenever I grabbed some to the point where I'd only find empty boxes sometimes. I'm more than satisfied if this ends up being everything they make, one of the best selections a Godzilla toyline has offered in years. If they were to make a 4th wave, Titanosaurus, Kamacuras, Kumonga, and Gorosaurus are musts, maybe another Mechagodzilla as well.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Official pics for wave 3 are up and is set for release in May, though it appears that they're holding back on the Godzilla vs. Kong set. Looks like they even had that video revealing the new sets taken down. Guess there's some merch embargo or something.

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoh ... -bag-clips

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Pics of the full Godzilla vs. Kong set are up, including the chase figures. Spoilers, baby!

https://www.figures.com/2021/03/08/adva ... bag-clips/
Spoiler:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

As per ususal, I've been having a hell of a time finding these things in stores. In two separate Targets, I found nearly empty boxes of series 3 and was only able to grab four, but I shit you not I somehow scored both chase figures, Manda and Shin. Wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me, but its possible that the "exclusive" chase figures aren't that much rarer than any other given figure. At the same time, I still never found that damned Rainbow Mothra...

Love these things, baby! Look at 'em all!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Looking through some of Monogram's upcoming catalogue and spotted Godzilla's 4th wave. You might have to squint to see them, didn't see a larger pic.

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:25 pm I'm more than satisfied if this ends up being everything they make, one of the best selections a Godzilla toyline has offered in years. If they were to make a 4th wave, Titanosaurus, Kamacuras, Kumonga, and Gorosaurus are musts, maybe another Mechagodzilla as well.
Hey, 4 out of 5 ain't bad! Wanted a Mothra Larva, too.

Good lineup overall, though the posters are pretty lame. Obviously, would've greatly preferred to have seen a Kumonga or Zilla or anybody else instead (Kumonga's absence is particularly strange - he's essentially the only major Showa character they didn't cover now.) That being said, I do like the variety with the Godzilla Tower and Serizawa - don't see those pop up too often in other toy lines. Neat stuff!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

As cute as these are, I can't freaking stand blind bags.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Got a couple of these (Orga, Varan, Baragon, G54), I'm seriously hooked. They're simple but really cute and the variety is astounding. I'm gonna try and collect all the unique monsters I can.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Awesome. I love these things. They make great shelf liners. Kinda bummed we got Kamacuras but not Kumonga. But hey, Godzilla Tower, Gorosaurus, Titanosaurus and Dr. Serizawa!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So wave 4 is out now, and I found a few in the wild already. As with wave 3, once again I lucked out and ended up with both chase figures. Love Serizawa and Gorosaurus in particular.

Years after I started collecting these I continue to be blown away by the diversity of this series; there are relatively few Godzilla toy lines that have covered this many characters, and the ones that have are the ones that've been around for decades. Granted, it helps that these aren't full "figures" like Gashapons, but even so, this has become one of my favorite lines to collect and I hope they keep 'em coming.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I love the tiny Oxygen Destroyer! I'd be tempted to attach him to a small spool so he could be lowered down into any monster diorama when you decide that it's been there long enough before dismantling it...

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Got over half of the wave today and lucked out with both chase figures.

I absolutely LOVE these things. They're neat, cheap and look great hanging on the edges of shelves. I really, REALLY hope these keep getting waves. They could make some great future entries. Already placing my bets on Wave 5: Godzilla '74 with electric towers, Zilla, Keizer Ghidorah, Gigan 2004, Kumonga, Super MechaGodzilla, Battra Larva, Rose Biollante, Xillian Controller, Shobojin 1 and Shobojin 2.

But I suppose there is a MULTITUDE of choices they could go with. We still have yet to see Shin Forms 2 and 3 pop up, for example. And I think the likes of the 2004 Gotengo or any Super Weapon is just as likely as any of the human/alien characters. But I will be surprised/disappointed if at least half of my guesses don't come to pass.

Quote of the Year:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Monogram has unveiled a SDCC exclusive box set - and its based on the Godzilla vs. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers crossover comic!

https://sdccblog.com/2022/06/monogram-s ... xclusives/

On the one hand, I'm disappointed that Godzilla and Ghidorah are just straight up re-releases of the wave 1 figures, but you'd probably want to leave these in the box anyway. More importantly, these are sort-kinda the first Godzilla toys based on IDW's Godzilla comics, though again that's pretty much due to the packaging alone. Still, kind of neat in their own weird little way.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:36 pm Monogram has unveiled a SDCC exclusive box set - and its based on the Godzilla vs. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers crossover comic!

https://sdccblog.com/2022/06/monogram-s ... xclusives/

On the one hand, I'm disappointed that Godzilla and Ghidorah are just straight up re-releases of the wave 1 figures, but you'd probably want to leave these in the box anyway. More importantly, these are sort-kinda the first Godzilla toys based on IDW's Godzilla comics, though again that's pretty much due to the packaging alone. Still, kind of neat in their own weird little way.
Very neat concept but I agree I wish they weren't straight up releases of Wave 1 as I really like the bag clips but already have both of them and don't intend on paying more just for the box.