Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Moth
G-Grasper

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Moth »

Jet Jaguar is popping up in Targets!!!
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Moth wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 pm Jet Jaguar is popping up in Targets!!!
Target? Interesting. I guess that only applies to the classic figures then, since GvK are Walmart-exclusive.

I still haven't been able to find the GvK figures at Walmart yet. Getting pretty ridiculous at this point, I'm tempted to just get them online.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:19 pm
Moth wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 pm Jet Jaguar is popping up in Targets!!!
Target? Interesting. I guess that only applies to the classic figures then, since GvK are Walmart-exclusive.

I still haven't been able to find the GvK figures at Walmart yet. Getting pretty ridiculous at this point, I'm tempted to just get them online.
Sorry to hear that, are you in the US? If so, what part of the country? I've heard some horror stories about distribution. I'm in the Midwest and neighboring states have had terrible luck with getting the figures while the worst I've had to deal with is waiting a month for /spoiler guy/.

Sidebar, I still think it's nuts that KotM and GvK's tie in figures were Walmart exclusive. You'd think they'd be everywhere.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:57 am
Sorry to hear that, are you in the US? If so, what part of the country? I've heard some horror stories about distribution. I'm in the Midwest and neighboring states have had terrible luck with getting the figures while the worst I've had to deal with is waiting a month for /spoiler guy/.

Sidebar, I still think it's nuts that KotM and GvK's tie in figures were Walmart exclusive. You'd think they'd be everywhere.
Southern Connecticut, which might as well be middle of nowhere too, apparently. I should be more used to it; when NECA was releasing figures, it could take up to two months for their stuff to start hitting shelves around here.

None of the Walmarts around here even have space for the new ones yet, just empty shelves where the first wave was last summer. At least they're not sold out, which might be worse since who the hell knows when/if they'd be restocked.

I'll check again next week or week after.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

So is this thread for ALL Playmates or just GVK? All Playmates, right?
I see Shinrobjira's about to review the Burning Godzilla on YT, I had no idea it was out yet.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Battle Roar Godzilla now up on Walmart.com https://www.walmart.com/ip/GVK-7-Deluxe ... /263315050
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Found this kickass custom on Ebay. What a difference a little bit of paint (or a lot of bit of paint) can do.

Makes the sculpt look much more detailed than I thought it was (but what would I know, since I still don't have the damned thing).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monsterverse-M ... Swf-pgd2Uq
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Turns out Jet has really bad standing issues. Still for $10 I can't not go get him.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:50 pm Found this kickass custom on Ebay. What a difference a little bit of paint (or a lot of bit of paint) can do.

IMAGES

Makes the sculpt look much more detailed than I thought it was (but what would I know, since I still don't have the damned thing).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monsterverse-M ... Swf-pgd2Uq
It's very detailed, and sharply detailed. I've seen a few repaints take it up a level. I'm waiting to see if SHMA produces one before I invest money or time into making the Playmates look that nice though.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I'll say this, I'll stack Playmates's beam effects up against NECA's or Bandai's any day. For whatever reason, they give me more of a sense of motion and flow than any of the others.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Finally! A Walmart that actually got some of the new figures in -

...Not quite what I wanted to see, to say the least. But then I looked up and saw that there were a few more at the very top of the shelf, including the sound battler figures and a single Mega Kong over to the right that I almost missed because it was on its back. So while I did not pick up any of the regular 6" figures I wanted, I did end up with a much better haul than I initially thought I would be leaving with. Annoying that all the Walmarts around me either have no new figures or already sold out...

Total haul -

Quick thoughts -

Giant Mechagodzilla - Neat, yet underwhelming. I hate how it looks so much more articulated than it actually is, notably in the elbows, shoulders, and knees. But having the other figures, I knew what to expect. Really want the 6" version because, despite less paint on the fins, I know its a hell of a lot more articulated. But I'm just happy to finally have a Mechagodzilla 2021. :)

Sound Battle figures - I was honestly tempted to pass on them but I found myself too impressed with Kong's face to pass them up. I wish it was a little more accurate, but its actually looks a hell of a lot cooler than I thought it would. Godzilla's pose is also quite unique, which is why I got it; unfortunately, his legs and feet don't have much articulation to truly recreate the "feral/crocodile" scene in the film, but his feet can rotate to the sides, so you kind of pull it off I guess. I wish his fins lit up though, or did a bit more; Kong's a lot cooler with the rubber face.

Mega Kong - I positively adore this figure. Easily the best Kong Playmates has released, and quite possibly one of the best Kongs out there. My only gripes are the lack of leg articulation, though it ensures that he stands easily, and possibly the red eyes - I wish there was some paint on them so they didn't look like black, empty voids when the lights aren't on. I also think they should've gone for yellow or orange, as red makes him look evil. But minor quibbles - the arm articulation is fantastic, and I just love his expression; he's great! For only $30, its a hell of a figure.

Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I have the Giant MV Mechagodzilla in hand right now and I thought once I've held it I'd change my mind .......but nope, looking closer at it I still find it to be the worst MG by far but I can see why people like him. The red spines do pop out a bit with the plain gray but the articulation is where this thing fails, because it looks like it should have more but it doesn't. Imma pass on it, but it does look like a cool figure to display.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Axe swap. (Poor Godzilla...)

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

lol that axe swap is great.

Xenagoji7802
Samurai

Post by Xenagoji7802 »

Still haven't seen any MechaGs in my neck of the woods in Canada. Mostly old SI Kongs, SpaceGs and Destoryahs lol

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/13 ... 88672?s=20

That's...quite the revelation. While it was always clear that it was based on NECA's sculpt, I didn't expect Randy to speak out so candidly.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If it’s “theft” then wouldn’t a better course of action be to go after the company responsible than be unprofessional about it on your company’s public Twitter account?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:31 pm If it’s “theft” then wouldn’t a better course of action be to go after the company responsible than be unprofessional about it on your company’s public Twitter account?
I'm not sure if there's anything that NECA can do about it. It's my understanding that when a company produces a toy of a licensed character, all of the production materials (including the sculpts and the molds) technically belong to the licensor at the end of that license period. I believe this is why / how Playmates is able to "get away" with their bootleg of the NECA Shin figure - Toho must have granted permission to Playmates to outright copy NECA's figure by any means necessary.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

G1985 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:40 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:31 pm If it’s “theft” then wouldn’t a better course of action be to go after the company responsible than be unprofessional about it on your company’s public Twitter account?
I'm not sure if there's anything that NECA can do about it. It's my understanding that when a company produces a toy of a licensed character, all of the production materials (including the sculpts and the molds) technically belong to the licensor at the end of that license period. I believe this is why / how Playmates is able to "get away" with their bootleg of the NECA Shin figure - Toho must have granted permission to Playmates to outright copy NECA's figure by any means necessary.
That's what I assumed too. While I don't necessarily agree with the practice, shouldn't Randy have known? Especially as the head of a toy company... who gets licenses for properties?

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:58 pm Image
https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/13 ... 88672?s=20

That's...quite the revelation. While it was always clear that it was based on NECA's sculpt, I didn't expect Randy to speak out so candidly.

L-O-L is NECA mad they can’t put out one Godzilla figure a year now while teasing products that’ll never come? :lol:

Man I never thought I’d say this about a company that makes Godzilla products but GOOD RIDDANCE. Dishonest and unprofessional. We’re in such a better place now with Bandai, Playmates, Super 7 and Mezco.
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.