Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by G1985 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:52 am
G1985 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:40 pm I'm not sure if there's anything that NECA can do about it. It's my understanding that when a company produces a toy of a licensed character, all of the production materials (including the sculpts and the molds) technically belong to the licensor at the end of that license period. I believe this is why / how Playmates is able to "get away" with their bootleg of the NECA Shin figure - Toho must have granted permission to Playmates to outright copy NECA's figure by any means necessary.
That's what I assumed too. While I don't necessarily agree with the practice, shouldn't Randy have known? Especially as the head of a toy company... who gets licenses for properties?
IMO Randy was pointing out the artistic and financial laziness of Playmates directly copying and profiting off of his own company's (and Bandai Creation's) earlier sculpts and efforts. Playmates was shameless by putting their copied figure out at the very same time as NECA's original figure was being sold in the Collector's aisle in the electronics section of the very same stores. Trendmasters copied Bandai's Big Scale Godzilla candy toys for their debut in 1994, but in their case the Bandai originals were never sold in the American market, so few people noticed.
Last edited by G1985 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G1985 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:40 pm I'm not sure if there's anything that NECA can do about it. It's my understanding that when a company produces a toy of a licensed character, all of the production materials (including the sculpts and the molds) technically belong to the licensor at the end of that license period. I believe this is why / how Playmates is able to "get away" with their bootleg of the NECA Shin figure - Toho must have granted permission to Playmates to outright copy NECA's figure by any means necessary.
Yeah, that's what I assumed. I recall a user on here (Salzilla, I believe) mentioned that Toho was the one who owned the molds, not NECA.

Regardless of the legality of it, I think we can all agree that Randy acting unprofessionally on the company's social media, not his own, is pretty...is "pathetic" too strong of a word here? It's not a good look. I think NECA needs to hire a proper social media manager to run their Twitter.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Wasn't the Playmates Shin taken off market anyway? It hasn't been restocked nor has it been in other waves.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Cossegoji2000
Ronin

Post by Cossegoji2000 »

Not sure. I haven't seen it.
Last edited by Cossegoji2000 on Sat May 01, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'm personally very sad to see NECA loose the Godzilla license they are still one of my favorite action figure producing companies. HOWEVER I do find it very odd that NECA claimed they were unable to produce any truly unique Godzilla variants like the Hanna Barbara Godzilla design because Toho wouldn't allow it, but as soon as super7 or mezco get the rights one of the VERY first figures they announce was the Hanna Barbara Godzilla.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm I'm personally very sad to see NECA loose the Godzilla license they are still one of my favorite action figure producing companies. HOWEVER I do find it very odd that NECA claimed they were unable to produce any truly unique Godzilla variants like the Hanna Barbara Godzilla design because Toho wouldn't allow it, but as soon as super7 or mezco get the rights one of the VERY first figures they announce was the Hanna Barbara Godzilla.
Not only that but also announcing a ton of other toys of monsters that ARENT Godzilla. Super7 said that they plan to do all the monsters and when asked if they could have them all included, a rep. for Toho said they can have them and that nobody really asks for them. If that’s the case, I wonder if Neca just never asked for the other monsters which is really stupid on their part.
:terrestris:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Considering NECA's usual responses to stuff like that, they definitely didn't bother to ask because they were afraid of them not selling.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat May 01, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Randy is such an odd dude, he snarks at every chance like a kid.

He insults the "current offerings", but doesn't mention that we've seen more American Godzilla figures released this year than 3 years of his own run. Let alone the Mechagodzillas, Skullcrawlers, Warbats, and accessories we've seen.

My paint skills can fix the weak playmates paintjobs. 2 releases every other year can't be fixed.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 01, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:24 pm Randy is such an odd dude, he snarks at every chance like a kid.

He insults the "current offerings", but doesn't mention that we've seen more American Godzilla figures released this year than 3 years of his own run. Let alone the Mechagodzillas, Skullcrawlers, Warbats, and accessories we've seen.

My paint skills can fix the weak playmates paintjobs. 2 releases every other year can't be fixed.
Quality over quantity. Ideally we'd have both available, as they aren't even aimed at the same market.
Playmates is fine if you're a child who doesn't place much value on detail or articulation, but if you're a collector who doesn't have the budget for overpriced MonsterArts imports then tough shit.

Oh well. At the end of the day I'm just happy to have a half decent Skullcrawler.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

It's probably more along the lines of Toho giving them the mold, which makes me doubt NECA will want anything else to do with Toho in the future.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I mean as a collector I'm okay with the GvK line, especially with my own revisions, but you may have an argument with their other line.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Found the last JJ in Target yesterday. It's good enough for what it is and walking into Target and seeing a Jet Jaguar figure is such a surreal experience, but the fact he can barely stand bugs me. It's nice that the figure is fully vinyl though.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Wait...the JJ figures are on sale now?! Shit, i need to go grab one!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:15 pm I mean as a collector I'm okay with the GvK line, especially with my own revisions, but you may have an argument with their other line.

That's fine for you but we don't all have the time or skill to upscale Playmates' work, nor should we have to. Yeah, they're definitely better than the rushed first wave of their classic line, but they're not on NECA's level. That being said, I don't have a problem with Playmate's GvK line. Even if NECA still had the license, the Playmates GvK figures on my shelf would still be there.

It was great having an affordable line of detailed and articulated figures available both online and within driving distance at various retailers.

Good looking custom by the way. It would have been nice to be able to buy one like that.
Last edited by ElijahSky on Sun May 02, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

ElijahSky wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:49 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:15 pm I mean as a collector I'm okay with the GvK line, especially with my own revisions, but you may have an argument with their other line.

That's fine for you but we don't all have the time or skill to upscale Playmates' work, nor should we have to. Yeah, they're definitely better than the rushed first wave of their classic line, but they're not on NECA's level. That being said, I don't have a problem with Playmate's GvK line. Even if NECA still had the license, the Playmates GvK figures on my shelf would still be there.
Fully agreeing here. The scalpers truly do suck, but I haven't had so much fun going to a physical store and hunting down Godzilla merch in well over a decade. These past few months really seem like the Trendmasters days of old... Really takes me back to my kiddo days.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:10 pm Considering NECA's usual responses to stuff like that, they definitely didn't bother to ask because they were afraid of them not selling.
Yes, they were afraid of selling something like a Mothra or Mechagodzilla, but they're 100% fine making one-off sculpts for a TMNT villain that appeared in one episode or Predators and Aliens from an old toyline/video games.

NECA didn't want to do anything with the brand, it was all about keeping it out of the hands of others.
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I need a JJ in my collection. He's from my very first Godzilla film I ever watched and what got me into this God forbidden stupid fandom.

I mean it's fucking Jet Jagaaaaa
Last edited by goji89 on Sun May 02, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Moth wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:26 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:10 pm Considering NECA's usual responses to stuff like that, they definitely didn't bother to ask because they were afraid of them not selling.
Yes, they were afraid of selling something like a Mothra or Mechagodzilla, but they're 100% fine making one-off sculpts for a TMNT villain that appeared in one episode or Predators and Aliens from an old toyline/video games.

NECA didn't want to do anything with the brand, it was all about keeping it out of the hands of others.
They made more figures for those lines because they sold better. We're lucky the Godzilla line did as well as it did for us to get what we got.

As for that second part, I have no idea where you're even coming up with that. It's ridiculous. No one forced the license on them and they had nothing to do with who else had it.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Hmm, odd, I remember hearing that NECA considered Godzilla a strong seller.

NECA got the rights so nobody (say Mcfarlane or Diamond Select) could get the rights for an adult line, duh.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Moth wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am Hmm, odd, I remember hearing that NECA considered Godzilla a strong seller.

NECA got the rights so nobody (say Mcfarlane or Diamond Select) could get the rights for an adult line, duh.
Uhh... Would you like to back this claim up with any sort of evidence? Because that's not how any of this works.

Quote of the Year: