Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:58 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:32 am Eh, I think that's still pretty lazy.
Yeah I said it was lazy just think the playmates is just at a higher level of lazy.
Playmates also costs about $130 less.
Beat me to it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:58 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:32 am Eh, I think that's still pretty lazy.
Yeah I said it was lazy just think the playmates is just at a higher level of lazy.
Playmates also costs about $130 less.
Now. Back then it was 55 where I got it the MA dusty Goji. So about 35 dollars more but not now obviously since oop.

But I do see your point though.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I hadn't realized that there was an actual 'dusty' variant. Now I get it. Though minor paint job tweaks for specific circumstances (or just on a whim) have been common in many franchises. Transformers is littered with it. Godzilla too, with Biollante-Bile and other variations from NECA, etc. (my own personal favorite one is the Reactor Glow version, a simple change from translucent orange in Burning Godzilla to glow-green, I still don't know what it references, if anything, but it's awesome on a shelf at night).

Good point on the cost. A $10 repaint is a lot easier to swallow financially than a $200 one like the recent Special Color Ghidorah, especially if you have the prior version of the mold. In my case I had to sell off a few things to make that work, and for once, I was happy I was unable to afford the clay-colored version the first time it came out since the new one is more of how I think of Ghidorah colors anyway and that figure is too big for me to have multiples.

Still haven't seen Gorosaurus and Rodan, and at this point I'd be doubting I will except I didn't see Jet Jaguar till months after I got one for my birthday.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I was fine with the Playmates Goro (for the most part) until a saw a head-on image. The head of the Gorosaurus suit tapers to a point. The images I saw of the Playmates toy had a head that's remarkably similar to the Last Dinosaur. The thing looks like it has great detail and paint, but likeness means everything to me.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:28 am I was fine with the Playmates Goro (for the most part) until a saw a head-on image. The head of the Gorosaurus suit tapers to a point. The images I saw of the Playmates toy had a head that's remarkably similar to the Last Dinosaur. The thing looks like it has great detail and paint, but likeness means everything to me.
I had to go find it, but your right. I’d hesitate to call it a point, but Gorosaurus’ snout definitely tapers down a fair amount towards the nostrils. And the playmates…. Doesn’t. Ah well, it’s still a surprisingly good looking figure from them even with that inaccuracy. I’ll holdout and see what the Bandai looks like when it’s painted though.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think it'd be hilarious if, even after the new Bandai comes out, the original 1993 version still ends up being the most suit/character accurate.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:34 pm I think it'd be hilarious if, even after the new Bandai comes out, the original 1993 version still ends up being the most suit/character accurate.
Same. I'm legit worried they're just gonna' do the same ole' mold that was used for '93 for all these years and change the tag to show 1991.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You mean with the Gorosaurus? I have to admit the sculpt looks scary similar to the 1993 figure.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 pm You mean with the Gorosaurus? I have to admit the sculpt looks scary similar to the 1993 figure.
Was actually referring to the upcoming MMS Godzilla 1991.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:00 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 pm You mean with the Gorosaurus? I have to admit the sculpt looks scary similar to the 1993 figure.
I was thrown off because you said 1993. You're talking about the Heisei Godzilla sculpt that originated in 1992 with Godzilla vs Mothra, aren't you?

I dont think they're going to do something THAT lazy, but who knows.

Cossegoji2000
Ronin

Post by Cossegoji2000 »

Would not be surprised at all if they did reuse that sculpt again.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:16 pm
I was thrown off because you said 1993. You're talking about the Heisei Godzilla sculpt that originated in 1992 with Godzilla vs Mothra, aren't you?

I think MM was referring to the first 6" Heisei Godzilla mold used for all those years.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:02 am
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:16 pm

I think MM was referring to the first 6" Heisei Godzilla mold used for all those years.
Yes, which originated in 1992 as an 8" figure released for Godzilla vs Mothra. That's how far back that mold goes.

But if they're specifically saying a 1991 Godzilla, they clearly don't intend to use that sculpt.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:55 am... which originated in 1992 as an 8" figure released for Godzilla vs Mothra. That's how far back that mold goes.

But if they're specifically saying a 1991 Godzilla, they clearly don't intend to use that sculpt.
The ventral ribbing in the neck makes that sculpt a 1992 aka a "vs Mothra" version. An accurate 1991 version should have no ventral ribbing.
Last edited by G1985 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I haven't been keeping up with toy news for the last few months, and I'm more and more convinced that's a good thing. God, how is anybody keeping up with the flood of releases this year? It's insanity. Gorosaurus has two affordable figures releasing around the same time? Are you fucking kidding me? :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

And they're in different sizes, so you can pick and choose whatever works best for your setup! I thought that was the amazing thing. The efforts didn't just duplicate each other, they're BOTH useful.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 am I haven't been keeping up with toy news for the last few months, and I'm more and more convinced that's a good thing. God, how is anybody keeping up with the flood of releases this year? It's insanity. Gorosaurus has two affordable figures releasing around the same time? Are you fucking kidding me? :lol:
I know right? As someone who collects mostly vinyls this year has been a dream come true, though I still only got a few of the 2021 releases since there are SO DAMN MUCH (I've only picked up Gyaos, Legion, Gabora, Neronga, and Jet Jaguar 73 who's on his way). I wonder what changed at Bandai. The past few years have been pretty good but this year was nuts. Amazing how they went 7 years without making a thing for MMS and now we've gotten more figures in one year than I think any other year for MMS, ever.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Got Rodan 1956 last week. Didn't realize it ever had the same green back as the original Bandai figure. If anyone wants comparison pics, I can post them. Unfortunately, I would say comparing the two just highlight the faults of the Playmates version, specifically due to some awkward proportions. I can't get past the long legs and clydesdale feet, not to mention the awkward head position/laughing mouth. But its an okay likeness; personally, I think I like it better than Jet Jaguar.

I think the pose may have been inspired by Bandai's Heisei/Fire Rodan figure with the head halfway between looking up and looking forward, with the intention being that you can position him in both standing and flying positions. However, the Heisei Rodan had adjustable legs to help those positions look natural, and this Rodan, lacking any leg articulation, looks awkward no matter what way you put him.

The Y-MSF is still the one to beat and probably always will be for a 6" Rodan. Need to get my hands on that one already. But for only $13, its not real bad.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 am I haven't been keeping up with toy news for the last few months, and I'm more and more convinced that's a good thing. God, how is anybody keeping up with the flood of releases this year? It's insanity. Gorosaurus has two affordable figures releasing around the same time? Are you skreeonking kidding me? :lol:
I just use the Wikizilla MMS article to track the releases and SHMA articulation series for SHMA

If you are using the threads to keep up on releases than of course its going to be extremely overwhelming due to the nature of discussion lol

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:08 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 am I haven't been keeping up with toy news for the last few months, and I'm more and more convinced that's a good thing. God, how is anybody keeping up with the flood of releases this year? It's insanity. Gorosaurus has two affordable figures releasing around the same time? Are you skreeonking kidding me? :lol:
I just use the Wikizilla MMS article to track the releases and SHMA articulation series for SHMA

If you are using the threads to keep up on releases than of course its going to be extremely overwhelming due to the nature of discussion lol
No, I'm just being hyperbolic about the sheer number of releases this year. I could keep up with them easily enough if I wanted to, but I don't.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio