Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:54 am But even more recent figures like Jet Jaguar, Rodan and (yes) Gorosaurus have their problems compared to Bandais at comparable prices (at least when those toys were brand new).
So, in other words, the comparison isn't applicable. Those Bandais aren't going for those same prices anymore. The Playmates figures are significantly cheaper than those old Bandai figures which is part of their appeal. Gorosaurus, for example, is about 1/10th the standard aftermarket price of the original Bandai. Even though the Bandai is far superior sculpt-wise, most people will go for the cheaper option since it still looks pretty good all things considered.

The original run of new molds from Playmates are pretty shoddy but Gorosaurus and Rodan 56 are marked improvements. For the collector who doesn't have representations of these characters in their collections and can't afford to buy vintage, they're perfectly fine.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:21 pm Legion your same perfect post earlier can be used here now sadly. Playmates has to no need to be better than the Bandais from 30 years ago because the target demo isn't 30.
The difference between these comparisons is that those 30-year-old vinyls didn't start as "collectibles"; Bandai figures were ALWAYS children's toys (correct me if I'm wrong).
It shouldn't be unreasonable to ask a kid's toy produced in the year 2020 to at LEAST match the quality of a figure from the year 1990 - not asking for more articulation or other gimmicks, just equal accuracy. It's not like we have less reference material to work with now.
Sure, most kids won't know or care about the difference; but is that really a good excuse for subpar quality? (even if it is a common one)

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I haven't bought a Playmates figure, how is the build quality? Are they hollow/made out of vinyl?
Last edited by Noble Saber on Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:21 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:54 am
Cossegoji2000 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:21 am

Then again, a nice chunk of the fandom seem to have expected SHMA (or X-plus) level of quality from playmates. I have no idea how.
Oh stop, no one expected that. Don't be ridiculous.

On the other hand, there should be no reason not to expect these toys to at least look as good if not a little better than Bandai vinyls from decades ago. Some of their earliest toys, which ripped off older Bandais, but with softer sculpts, cheaper material and poor paint (like that pathetic Space Godzilla) are pretty sad.

But even more recent figures like Jet Jaguar, Rodan and (yes) Gorosaurus have their problems compared to Bandais at comparable prices (at least when those toys were brand new).

This was the same issue I had with the Creation figures. Some demographic and price point as the Japanese stuff but generally lower quality sculpts and likenesses. THAT is where American buyers deserve better.
Legion your same perfect post earlier can be used here now sadly. Playmates has to no need to be better than the Bandais from 30 years ago because the target demo isn't 30.
Wait, what??

And Rody, thank you a million times over for actually understanding what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:25 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:21 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:54 am

Oh stop, no one expected that. Don't be ridiculous.

On the other hand, there should be no reason not to expect these toys to at least look as good if not a little better than Bandai vinyls from decades ago. Some of their earliest toys, which ripped off older Bandais, but with softer sculpts, cheaper material and poor paint (like that pathetic Space Godzilla) are pretty sad.

But even more recent figures like Jet Jaguar, Rodan and (yes) Gorosaurus have their problems compared to Bandais at comparable prices (at least when those toys were brand new).

This was the same issue I had with the Creation figures. Some demographic and price point as the Japanese stuff but generally lower quality sculpts and likenesses. THAT is where American buyers deserve better.
Legion your same perfect post earlier can be used here now sadly. Playmates has to no need to be better than the Bandais from 30 years ago because the target demo isn't 30.
Wait, what??

And Rody, thank you a million times over for actually understanding what I'm talking about.
Playmates is targeting kids now who would have no idea that the toy they are getting now is inferior to the same toy made by someone else 30 years ago especially as Bandai made Toys mainly in Japan and Playmates is mainly an American market(correct me if I'm wrong.) Only the collectors that you mentioned are not the target demo would likely know about a figure that was better 30 years ago.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
Rody wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:42 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:21 pm Legion your same perfect post earlier can be used here now sadly. Playmates has to no need to be better than the Bandais from 30 years ago because the target demo isn't 30.
The difference between these comparisons is that those 30-year-old vinyls didn't start as "collectibles"; Bandai figures were ALWAYS children's toys (correct me if I'm wrong).
It shouldn't be unreasonable to ask a kid's toy produced in the year 2020 to at LEAST match the quality of a figure from the year 1990 - not asking for more articulation or other gimmicks, just equal accuracy. It's not like we have less reference material to work with now.
Sure, most kids won't know or care about the difference; but is that really a good excuse for subpar quality? (even if it is a common one)
For our perspective no, from Playmates yes. Why make a toy better than you have to if no one knows the difference.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:49 pm Mattel has multiple sub-lines. $10 figures for 3-5 year olds so on and so forth. Which is a model Playmates should look into.
So... You want Playmates to increase the price range of these figures to about $15 and introduce a new line of 3" toys with no accessories and even worse paint for $10, replicating the JW line?

Godzilla is a franchise where the majority are older collectors. So yes, Playmates has a responsibility in my eyes, as the sole licensees of affordable wide market godzilla collectibles here in the states, to cater to all ages.

We are in 2022. If you're any avid fan/collector of any franchise and haven't figured out how to get high end collectors figures without taking a quick shopping trip to Walmart, you are doing something wrong.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

muh Terrestris...
Resized Image
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terrestris looks fantastic. The new G14 and Shin are also pretty good but not great. Still, for what they are, not bad! No opinion on KSI Kong, it's basically the same thing but cool it comes with the propeller blade.

Playmates may not be hitting collector-tier home runs, but it's great to see they're doing way more than just plodding out the license with MonsterVerse-focused repaints.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Gotta say, Terrestris might be the first of Playmates' lot to legitimately rival Bandai's efforts. Now obviously it is a little more simplified than the Bandai in some areas, especially where paint is concerned, but better in other aspects like the spikes on the tail and general proportions. And given that its literally half the price of Bandai's, its insanely good.

I feel like Kong's biceps are too big for the 2017 Kong, but its not that distracting. BIG improvement over their previous effort nonetheless. Hope they can give him a yellow-hued Skullcrawler to battle, even a repaint of the GvK one would suffice.

Overall, the quality of these things has been quite steadily moving in the right direction, I'd say!
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:13 pm Playmates may not be hitting collector-tier home runs, but it's great to see they're doing way more than just plodding out the license with MonsterVerse-focused repaints.
Yeah, I'm glad they're taking advantage of the license. The other Monsterverse lines (Jakks Pacific, Lanard) were so quick to dump a handful of figures and move on. Playmates seems to be having fun with it.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I hope they tackle Godzilla Ultima.

Hard to find the MMS one for a decent price. The sculpt isn’t even that good proportionally.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Its on Amazon for $30. Not a terrible price.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Lol wtf, that Terrestris had no business looking that good for such a cheap toy

I don't care for Playmates Godzilla figures cause they're kids toys that look like horrendous knockoffs you'd see on Amazon, but that Terrestris...that Terrestris.....

The paint is lacking, but it's a cheap kids toy and the MMS figure is similar so that's ok, but the detailing? My goodness, the dorsal plates, the sharp claws and all the sharp spikes look great

That right there'll be the very first (and maybe only) Playmates Godzilla toy I buy if I can find one

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:18 pm Gotta say, Terrestris might be the first of Playmates' lot to legitimately rival Bandai's efforts. Now obviously it is a little more simplified than the Bandai in some areas, especially where paint is concerned, but better in other aspects like the spikes on the tail and general proportions. And given that its literally half the price of Bandai's, its insanely good.

I feel like Kong's biceps are too big for the 2017 Kong, but its not that distracting. BIG improvement over their previous effort nonetheless. Hope they can give him a yellow-hued Skullcrawler to battle, even a repaint of the GvK one would suffice.

Overall, the quality of these things has been quite steadily moving in the right direction, I'd say!
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:13 pm Playmates may not be hitting collector-tier home runs, but it's great to see they're doing way more than just plodding out the license with MonsterVerse-focused repaints.
Yeah, I'm glad they're taking advantage of the license. The other Monsterverse lines (Jakks Pacific, Lanard) were so quick to dump a handful of figures and move on. Playmates seems to be having fun with it.
Speaking of Lanard, I hope Bandai makes figures of the other creatures from Skull Island. I want a giant ass Kong to go with the Godzilla.

Im sure we'll never get any Kong Bandai stuff, but imagine if Playmates is somehow able to make a Toho Kong and Mechani-Kong.

It would also be cool to see some better quality Rampage figures.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ya'll remember the bitching and whining about non-accurate Rodan '56? With its random green and gold bits on the back? The whole "The old Bandai did it too!" and that's why type of stuff?

Yeah, nah.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Thanks for posting that. I've been telling people this for years.

But I guarantee Playmates had no idea and was just copying Bandsi.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Oh wow. Huh. That is genuinely surprising.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:13 pm The new G14 and Shin are also pretty good but not great.
I feel the same way about the G2014. I'm not a fan of the posed head. Either the legs are too short or the torso too big (I can't decide which), but I'll still buy it if I see it:

Resized Image
Last edited by G1985 on Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

{---HYPERZeTToN---} wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:41 am Lol wtf, that Terrestris had no business looking that good for such a cheap toy

I don't care for Playmates Godzilla figures cause they're kids toys that look like horrendous knockoffs you'd see on Amazon, but that Terrestris...that Terrestris.....

The paint is lacking, but it's a cheap kids toy and the MMS figure is similar so that's ok, but the detailing? My goodness, the dorsal plates, the sharp claws and all the sharp spikes look great

That right there'll be the very first (and maybe only) Playmates Godzilla toy I buy if I can find one
Ultimately I can agree with that statement, I would say Terrestris rivals Shin Godzilla Neca figure. If only they can do toys more of this quality.
G1985 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:09 pm I feel the same way about the G2014. I'm not a fan of the posed head. Either the legs are too short or the torso too big (I can't decide which), but I'll still buy it if I see it:
This is supposed to be G2014? Then why they painted orange on this guy?
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:20 pm
This is supposed to be G2014? Then why they painted orange on this guy?
I dunno. I asked for confirmation and never heard back. I'll nudge em again.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It’s a “city destruction” version, it’s supposed to be a fire effect like the Hong Kong figures.