Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by darthzilla99 »

These look fun. If these sell, I'd love them to do Mechagodzilla as well.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Godzilla: "Gee, I hope Mechagodzilla doesn't show up wearing the same thing as me..."
Kong: *Expletive filled rap song followed by a mike drop*

It reminds me of the very old idea of Mechagodzilla as a robot with flesh over it. I really wonder what a modern Mechagodzilla done like this would wind up like. Since it's already visibly a robot there would be more flexibility in design.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:54 pm Image

So apparently these are going to be a thing.
Wtf? :|
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Well... These are surely a thing.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:47 am
DoubleDam21 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:54 pm Image

So apparently these are going to be a thing.
Wtf? :|
The new season of Transformers Beast Wars looks sick. These must be transmetal 4 Optimus Primal and transmetal 4 Megatron. Hmm, yesssss. 😏
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Reminds me of Powered Up Godzilla and friends from the trendmasters line. Looks silly through adult eyes, but kid me thought they looked pretty sweet back in the day.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Yeah, these look horrendous

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Ngl the Titan tech Kong looks so goofy I just might have to get one. Machine Monke hits the right part of my brain
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Might be the boomer in me talking, but I really can't see many parallels between these and the old TM Battle Armor/Power-Up figures besides the kaiju just getting some weapons. The TM stuff was just armor attachments. They didn't "transform." If you wanted to display Godzilla without it, you could and it wouldn't be overly obvious that they come with extra add ons (except MKG with his new launchers). And the pieces were put in "regular" places where one would expect such weapons to go (wrists, shoulders, hands, etc). They didn't just pop random missile launchers out of Godzilla's neck and make his body split into three sections.

I really don't know if I'll pull the trigger on them, but I REALLY want to know the thought process behind these. Especially the "transforming" bit, which isn't even "transforming." They're not turning into something different, they're just separating pieces. Especially in Godzilla's case, he just looks like he was vivisected. Edit: Nevermind, Kong has the same "transformation" of shoulder separation.

If anything, I'd say Trendmasters' Battle Armor is the Godzilla to Playmates' Titan Tech's Varan. If that simile makes sense.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Well, looks like Mega Godzilla is getting a new lease on life in the form of...whatever this is.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Good to see the return of Mechani-Kong.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Good...
God...

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont know what surprises me less, that a toy company with the Godzilla license would make something this stupid or that fans would actually buy them.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Hey, I was the one who only half-jokingly suggested making an Ultimates Godzilla with a pancake flipper re: Godzilland. And recently they had a chibi version of one of Shin Godzilla's evolutions vs. a ballerina, so this is not the weirdest turn I've seen for the franchise.

To be honest, though, I have no idea what a Godzilla fillet tastes like, I'm sort of concerned about any meat radioactive enough to self-microwave, and monkeypox clearly hit Kong HARD...

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:07 pm I dont know what surprises me less, that a toy company with the Godzilla license would make something this stupid or that fans would actually buy them.
Yeah, God forbid toys actually be fun. Who the hell came up with that notion?
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Toys can be fun. But...LOOK at those things...

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:02 pm Image

Good...
God...
I would buy these things just to end their suffering.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legit, I MIGHT actually buy these and not even open/display them. If only because I have a VERY strong gut feeling these are going to flop hardcore and never be seen again.

Quote of the Year:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Fermix wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:17 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:07 pm I dont know what surprises me less, that a toy company with the Godzilla license would make something this stupid or that fans would actually buy them.
Yeah, God forbid toys actually be fun. Who the hell came up with that notion?
Godzilla fans in a nutshell. I don’t know what’s dumber, the toys themselves or anyone wasting their energy being mad at them. But that’s how it’s always been with most fandoms I suppose.

I didn’t even see how they transformed before; these really might be the absolute dumbest Godzilla toys I’ve ever seen, official or otherwise. I can’t even recall any bootlegs that went this nuts. Makes me like them even more. :)

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im inclined to agree. I think they are dumb and Im not going to buy them. Thats the end of the discussion for me. Im sure kids will have a lot of fun with them and maybe in 20 years time, if humanity as a species still exists, kids will look fondly back at these wacky toys the same way some G fans do with the Shogun warrior figure, which, mind you, is a WEIRD Godzilla figure. Its iconic, sure, but its very strange looking, just like these are.