Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

My Kong is great, however, Kong's right arm likes to pop off a lot. One of the barbell ends is way tighter than the other. Gets a tiny bit annoying but at least nothing is snapping.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Yep, put a drop of liquid soap into Kong's arm socket, Im not running any risks of them breaking.
Last edited by the-killer-wc on Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

I used a bit of shock oil to loosen up the bicep barbells on my Kong. It went from terrifying "I WILL SNAP IF YOU KEEP MOVING ME" creaking noises to smooth as butter. Highly recommend this stuff for Tamashii figures. Just have to make sure you apply it directly to the ball joint, I recommend using a toothpick and letting it drip into place, because it doesn't take much.
https://www.amazon.com/Team-Associated- ... 381&sr=8-7

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

Cosbydaf wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:38 pm I used a bit of shock oil to loosen up the bicep barbells on my Kong. It went from terrifying "I WILL SNAP IF YOU KEEP MOVING ME" creaking noises to smooth as butter. Highly recommend this stuff for Tamashii figures. Just have to make sure you apply it directly to the ball joint, I recommend using a toothpick and letting it drip into place, because it doesn't take much.
https://www.amazon.com/Team-Associated- ... 381&sr=8-7
Hmm, sounds good. My joint isn't overly terrifying but you can never be too careful with a 70 dollar figure.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Y'all... why is Godzilla 21 a pinhead. I think this is the first SHMA I have a measure of buyers remorse over.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Not superjoyed with Kong. I think it's a solid release, but I didn't have the same "wow" reaction like I did to G21. He seems very...loose.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Not gonna' like, I love the Kong. But his inability to stand without falling is REALLY starting to piss me the fuck off.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Kong seems to be getting very mixed reviews. Glad I passed. Still waiting on my SHMA Varan.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:05 pm Not gonna' like, I love the Kong. But his inability to stand without falling is REALLY starting to piss me the skreeonk off.
This is my biggest issue by far.

Guy shouldn't have his legs bent like he's a goalie just to look Godzilla in the eye.

.....does make putting him in the AVP pose easier though.

RIP Evan.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I guess I just got lucky with my Kong. His left hand pops off a bit easily, but otherwise he's pretty darned solid. He baked in the 90-degree heat on my porch for about an hour before I picked him up - that may have helped loosen him up, who knows?

Custom buildings by Tatemono Miniaturas, breath effect by Unimportant_Steve.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Lol - yeah baking in the heat would losen him up. Shits an oven, same thing happens in cargo containers sitting in receiving. Fucking cook something in there. I once had some soft vinyl Spark Dolls in the heat and I swear to god they felt melted. Nah but like REALLY SOFT vinyl. Felt like a damn fruit rollup. Immediate trip to the fridge and reposted them to keep them from warping.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

These guys came yesterday. I love them! They are too much fun together. Neither is perfect. Goji’s tail has a couple joints that border too loose and a couple too tight, but nothing that’s not easily taken care of with a little ingenuity. Kong’s legs could stand being a little tighter for holding his weight. It’s really his toe joints I’ve found that cause the most grief getting him to stand because they just aren’t strong/stiff enough to support him. But it just means you have to pay attention when posing so that his actual weight is on his heels and his toes are just gentle stabilizers.

But over all I’m very pleased with Monke and Lizard!

Wish I was a better photographer, but here they are!

Last edited by canofhumdingers on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So, I got my Kong yesterday. First impressions were not good. I saw that the default face had near-perfect eyes, but then I opened it and found this for the roaring head:

Then the neck came off and there was this rather unnerving milky liquid all over the joint. This is certainly a new one, I've never seen this before. Glue maybe? Hopefully? I know it looks like... something else.

The black paint wash on the body also kept coming off on my fingers every time I touched the damned thing. So yeah, not great.

But, having been able to play around with it for a while, I must admit that its actually a lot of fun. Even though one of the eyes is fucked up (and its not as bad as the pic above makes it seem), the paint is solid otherwise - more effort than some other releases as of late. All the hands are great accessories, easy to pop on and off, and the axe is beautiful. Seems like everybody has different issues, as the legs on mine are nice and tight and it takes little effort to get him to stand on his own. The forearms arms on mine do pop off but only if you really push them, no biggie.

Early issues aside, I'm actually glad to have it. I was hoping this release would mark something of a return to the earlier quality they used to be capable of, but the paint literally coming off on my hands and the mysterious glue-substance makes it clear that they're still cutting corners. It is what it is. I'm still having more fun with this guy than anything else they've released in years.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Toys in general, high or low end, have had some issues with Quality Control no matter the brand recently. I don't get it. Though at my 'scale' (my main Godzilla is the musical one that's almost eight inches tall) I think I made the right choice by going with NECA Illustrated Kong when I was choosing between my options for 'not covered in bloody cuts' versions. Though your last picture of Kong with his toys is so much better than what I can pull off with mine, that's just perfect...

I do plan to throw a clearance-bin Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in my kaiju display at some point, though, just to see how it works.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I have a question, I've used clear nail polish to fix loose balljoints on Transformers in the past to good results. Would it be safe to do the same for Kong? The loose leg is preventing me from display by any means other than quadrupedal.
So, clear nail polish, yay or nay?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:24 pm I have a question, I've used clear nail polish to fix loose balljoints on Transformers in the past to good results. Would it be safe to do the same for Kong? The loose leg is preventing me from display by any means other than quadrupedal.
So, clear nail polish, yay or nay?
Done it before with my Rebirth, 1999, bootleg Ghidorah, Fire Rodan, and yes, my Kong.

Works great. You should be good, unless it's like the sheath

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kong sucks ass.

It broke on me.

His right leg snapped it has loose asf joints everything seems to fall off esily. Just a waste of a figure.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Dang it is sad to see people experiencing issues with Kong. Definitely my most hyped release for the year. My Kong has been fine but I can see that it has issues standing up unless a work out the posture a bit. I personally love the release. Looking to get a NECA Concrete Jungle King Kong soon for the collection as my second Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

If I could I'd return this bastard but no returns at the comic store especially broke ones so I just ate a wad of cash. What sucks is that I was actually liking the damn thing but then *snap* and it's not an easy fix either. So just word of caution with your Kongs people.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

The NECA Kong isn't perfect either, the joints can be REALLY tight. My Illustrated one had the arm break at the bicep right out of the box, but luckily that was Wal-mart and I was able to exchange it, plus it was a lot cheaper.