Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Anguirus »

I wonder if Tamashii will branch out into Showa more once competition from Super7 and Mezco kicks into high gear.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I doubt it but I've gotten to the point where I hope they make like, an SP Anguirus or something. Salunga would be extremely cool to see in this line.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Watching Singular Point for the first time right now, I have to agree that we need a SP Anguirus. I wonder if the other kaiju would be made also.

Ultima G will be my first MonsterArts since Gamera 95.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Anguirus wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:40 pm Watching Singular Point for the first time right now, I have to agree that we need a SP Anguirus. I wonder if the other kaiju would be made also.

Ultima G will be my first MonsterArts since Gamera 95.
Yeah I would agree that even thought the anime was alright I’m a huge fan of both the designs of Godzilla and Anguirus from that show and would love to have a SHMA of Anguirus to go along with Godzilla.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Honestly, if Ultima is the only SP thing, that'd really blow.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I doubt Ultima would be the last of Singular Point in the line. It was pretty damn popular in Japan, and the demand for Jet Jaguar and Anguirus is just that much to large to just pass off.

At the very least I expect a “Godzilla Evolution Set” like what was made for Kamata-kin and Shinigawa-kun
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Loving this Kong, though I noticed one of the knees were put-in upside down? He also had a somewhat loose hip, so I had to fix that. Now they look too good on the dresser, so I'm hesitating moving them to the MV shelf :lol:

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^the knees were upside down? How'd you figure that?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:33 pm ^the knees were upside down? How'd you figure that?
Oddly enough, I noticed while messing around with the joints, the right knee was giving me an issue with popping off too easily. So I popped the joint off of both legs, to take a look inside.

One knee was correctly placed like this,

While the other was incorrectly place upside down and reversed, so whenever I'd bend the knee, the joint would slip right out.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Crazy lol.

They look great together though.

And is that a custom beam for 2021?

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Just proves Kong is a piece of shyt figure.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 pm Crazy lol.

They look great together though.

And is that a custom beam for 2021?
I love the way they compliment eachother, I'm surprised they weren't released as a set (though I'm sure we'll see a future HK set bc $$$).

It's actually a leftover G 2019 beam, since my G19 took that plunge off the shelf two years ago :lol:.

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:42 pm Just proves Kong is a piece of shyt figure.
It was an easy fix LOL, just had to flip the knee.

Whoever pieced these tiny boy-os together likely just did it as fast as they could.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Love how much everyone is enjoying Kong.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for AC to ship mine out.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

MoarCrossovers wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 am Love how much everyone is enjoying Kong.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for AC to ship mine out.
They're waiting on their supply from Diamond. If you don't want to wait, see about cancelling and order from Barnes and Noble.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

So was I lied to and these SH MonsterArts figures are kinda... crap?

I just got my Godzilla from Godzilla vs Kong in the mail... and its crap. My KotM Godzilla from NECA is better quality.

The neck and tail plates on the SH MonsterArts figure are loose and have rather noticeable gaps (frankly makes the head look uncircumcized). The mouth paint job looks like smeared blue gel toothpaste. The head itself looks way smaller than the promo images would imply.

The only positive I could say is that the sculpt for the body and fins is pretty good, but then again it feels like cheap plastic.

I'm probably going to return mine, just not worth the $70 I paid for it from Amazon.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I personally disagree with all of that. If anything the NECA figure feels like gummy American plastic, and is definitely less sculpt accurate.

Might just not be used to the SHMA joint functionality.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I'm just not impressed. You can even see it in the first image you posted, that huge gap between the tail and body. I find that kind of think very unappealing.

In my opinion the plastic of the SHMA figure feels like it would shatter like glass if I dropped it from a foot and I quite like the rubberized feeling of NECA figures, reminds me of how the old Trendmaster figures felt.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

I definitely see where he’s coming from. The 2019 figure (which is essentially the same as 2021 despite what y’all say) is my least favorite shma I ever owned. It definitely feels different from the likes of 95, 2000, and Gamera. The head movement is only good for looking up, the arms are neca tight, the hips/crotch area is just weird, and lastly the tail fucking sucks. Also to note the head on 2021 is just ugly imo. I would’ve recommended either Kiryu, Gamera, or birth as a first shma.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

I find that most people's first time getting SHMA goes either that direction or they champion it and figure out how to enjoy their figure. The amount of articulation this figure has is fantastic and offers a great range of movement that you definitely can't get out of a neca monsterverse Godzilla figure. The plastic they use is a harder plastic for sure being made out of ABS and polystyrene, etc. But it's definitely not going to shatter. As for the gaps on this figure, they are there but you just got to play around with the floating pieces to cover up those unsightly gaps. The name of the game is articulation.

I say try to have a little bit more fun with it and if things are a little stiff take a hair dryer to your figure. I think you'd be surprised how much fun this figure is to pose. My initial impression from your post is that you might like statues more though. I don't think you were necessarily lied to, but I am curious as to what your expectations were.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

2021 is a GREAT SHMA.

The mold is based on one of the best in the entire line, the colors pop and I like the face, as odd as it looks.

I understand your issues but I definitely can not see it being such a flimsy piece of plastic it would make you prefer NECA to it.

....now the KONG on the other hand

RIP Evan.