Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
gojimatt
Monsterland Worker

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by gojimatt »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:13 am Don't overthink this

If they do a Godzilla to go with Hedorah they'd definitely use the 1971 version as their reference, because that's what appeared in the movie. I dont think for a second they'd put out multiple releases of the same basic figure with small differences to represent the different versions of that suit. Everyone would be lucky to just get one.
Wouldn't they?

https://twitter.com/v2ab29/status/15453 ... 72/photo/2

My point was really that they could make a G 68 and use that as a base mould for the others, even if they released the 71 version first. Exactly like what Mezco are doing with their 5 point figures. They started with Destroy All Monsters and with a little bit of retooling they have a G 71. I was just thinking it would be better to start with 68 and maybe retool the head slightly (and include battle damaged pieces) to create G 71. Then you can reuse the mould for any of the films the Soshingeki suit appears in with minimal changes.

But yes, we'd be lucky to get anything.
'Do not try to escape earthlings or you'll force us to kill you.'

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

New SDCC Exclusive: the Kong figure we should have gotten.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfvlApBN3vW/?hl=en

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Maybe they can reissue Godzilla now with an accurate head sculpt/size as an “accessory”.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

It's been a while - I know these SDCC exclusives are usually offered to the public, but I can't recall how, especially now that Bluefin isn't really a thing anymore.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Tamashii is fueled by the broken hearts of customers that buy their kaiju products.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Are their even differences....at all? With the 68-72 suit?

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

MoarCrossovers wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:06 am New SDCC Exclusive: the Kong figure we should have gotten.

Nothing like a big middle finger to the customers that actually bought the first one.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:53 am Are their even differences....at all? With the 68-72 suit?
A lot of it is wear and tear but by 1971 Godzilla's facial features had become rounder, the eyes were wider and it looks like they lengthend the neck. The damaged eye and skeleton hand, while not design elements, to me are essential to the look of this Godzilla.

In 1972 they changed the eyes completely, so they're more narrow with white dots right in the middle. He looks a lot sleeper now. I also think this was the first film where the spikes were completely painted silver. And by now the toenails were so worn down that they look very little like they did in 1968.

Regardless, if they do a Godzilla to go with Hedorah it would definitely be the 1971 incarnation of the suit. Unless they decided to really dive into the Showa stuff to do DAM monsters (which i doubt), I dont see them creating a 1968 mold just to alter it like Mezco did. At least Mezco did DAM stuff first.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I could definitely see a standard 1968 Godzilla done followed by a special color version with 1971 remolding.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:08 am I could definitely see a standard 1968 Godzilla done followed by a special color version with 1971 remolding.
Yes, IF they had plans to start doing the 1968 Godzilla and perhaps some of the DAM cast. But I think if they decide to JUST to do a Godzilla to pair with Hedorah, they'll be specific with it.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:10 am
MoarCrossovers wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:06 am New SDCC Exclusive: the Kong figure we should have gotten.

Nothing like a big middle finger to the customers that actually bought the first one.
Personally, I'm glad to have a Kong that doesn't have the bloody scratches. I like to have a "default" version of a character, in addition to scene-specific ones. And I don't see a removable damaged chest-panel as looking very good.

The Mechagodzilla head and the axe effect are nice, but isn't this also about $20-$30 more expensive than the original release?
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^yeah. Preorder price on BBTS was closer to 60 if I remember correctly. Also, this release doesn't seem to come with the knucke-walker hands, which means technically if you want the whole Kong package you would have to grab both.
I swear, back in the day SHMA came with all loads of FX parts. If Kong was dropped circa 2014 you'd get all these hands heads and the axe. Hell, the '06 Kong has tons of hand options.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I agree on the lack of bloody cuts. It was entirely that that made me narrow down my 'Kong' search to Monsterarts and NECA's Illustrated one, and I went with NECA as it had the more '33 styled head and the odd colors made it less a normal gorilla. I like the extra parts and heads here, but the chest wound just doesn't do it for me.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

$90 is the estimated price from our resident lurker.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:41 am It's been a while - I know these SDCC exclusives are usually offered to the public, but I can't recall how, especially now that Bluefin isn't really a thing anymore.
Pre-pandemic these type of releases were usually exclusive to SDCC. The last two years theyve offered exclusives online sonce there was no convention, but now that SDCC is back to in person, they're only offering it to attendees for now. Keep an eye out for bandai premium USA shop after the event.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I'll be interested if this marks the 'return of the aftermarket' where post-con prices bounce all over the place. I once got a Comic-Con explosion Godzilla for cheap, later sold it to someone who cared more than I did and was able to get SCV Biollante. I won't have any chance of getting Kong, but good luck to those who brave the Con to do it, I hope you can snag one!
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

In all honesty, I would’ve much preferred this release over the standard Kong if given a choice. The reality is you kinda need both to have a “complete” representation of Kong but between the two, this one is better imo.

That said, the days of me working hard to obtain rare or difficult to order exclusives are over. It’s just such an unpleasant experience. If this is relatively easy to obtain after the con or I happen to be in the right place at the right time to snag one for a reasonable price then I’d probably get it. But if I have to go jumping through hoops and chasing after it then I’ll just be happy with the original release I’ve already got.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Really actually want it for a display I have in mind. Kinda' wish it also came with a severed Warbat head.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Will there be a Godzilla counterpart I wonder....
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda