Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by G1985 »

goji89 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 am But seriously who the Hell wanted this? ... I personally find this design ugly. The teeth on this make it look derp as hell.
After a stellar start to the line, Gigan was the very first SHMA sculpt that went off-model with that face sculpt, yet people praised the Gigan figure despite the hillbilly teeth. People later dubbed the 2017-released Kiryu-Goji figure as a "trainwreck" for its long neck, so what do fans know?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

G1985 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:48 am
goji89 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 am But seriously who the Hell wanted this? ... I personally find this design ugly. The teeth on this make it look derp as hell.
After a stellar start to the line, Gigan was the very first SHMA sculpt that went off-model with that face sculpt, yet people praised the Gigan figure despite the hillbilly teeth. People later dubbed the 2017-released Kiryu-Goji figure as a "trainwreck" for its long neck, so what do fans know?

Not a damn thing

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Eh, i really love the look of the SHMA. The teeth never bothered me and i never really noticed it until it was pointed out. The price is putting me a bit off from pulling the trigger on it though...there’s other figures (non-Godzilla related) i have on preorder and Gigan might interfere with all that.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I don't like the teeth either but the rest of the sculpt works for me. 2002's neck works and I will go to my grave defending it.
Jermobooka wrote:Nice gif there, Soggy. :lol:
I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, I'VE TRIED 5 TIMES AND THE DAMN THING STILL WON'T POST.

It's the Spider-Verse "you're like me" bit, anyway. Cause I did the same thing with my gashapons as a kid lol

RIP Evan.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Now with all these accessories, you can faithfully recreate his battle with... oh, wait.

Certainly hope this is the prelude to a Godzilla 2004 reveal or something. I'm baffled they didn't make that one of the first figures in the line. Going on a decade now and still nothing...

I'd almost be tempted to double-dip were it not for the fact that I already got a second Gigan that was practically free. Not big a fan of when they release what is essentially a reissue with new stuff to screw over those who got the first release, as I love when they include a bunch of effect pieces like this... with the original release. Ah well, no biggie in this case.

They're certainly getting bolder with the prices as well, good fucking lord.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Not going to lie, I think it looks really good. I have the Chogokin release and love it, but would be tempted to get this...if it were a better price. I can usually find the 30cm X-Plus in this price range so unless you're a completionist or just love the articulation aspect, I don't see why you go SHMA over the X-Plus. Kind of a strange re-release IMO because the 2004 Gigan doesn't seem to get much love these days. Always thought it was one of the cheaper finds regarding the aftermarket prices for both X-Plus and SHMA.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

I mean, there's also nearly 6 years worth of new collectors that are asking for this. It would seem that social media is relatively positive with this contrary to how the first release stuck around.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Gigan 2004 goes for 20,000 yen on Mandarake, on the higher end of SHMA releases on there. This release was warranted.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Moth wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:10 pm Gigan 2004 goes for 20,000 yen on Mandarake, on the higher end of SHMA releases on there. This release was warranted.
Yeah, I was just gonna add, Gigan hasn't been available or MSRP for YEARS

RIP Evan.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

I'd wager that because the past release was a shelf warmer is the reason why this is a web exclusive as well. At least this way tamashi can maximize their profit without letting any peace sitting on a shelf.

Then again, all the special color versions have been web exclusives.
Last edited by Naruto65 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just throwing it out there. ;)

Can't believe GFW turns 20 in 3 years. -_- Not a fun feeling.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:58 pm Image

Just throwing it out there. ;)

Can't believe GFW turns 20 in 3 years. -_- Not a fun feeling.
wooooaaaah, whats the context of this image? Is it recent??? Really hope FinalGoji is coming soon! (wonder if it'll have any accessories or if an atomic breath part would be sold with a variant...)

Also...ugh. I feel old. Living fossil, i tell ye :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

That was at a Tamashii event in like, late 2019? Was interesting.
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

On one hand I know nothing about Gigan and I don't know if he'd fit with my setup. On the other, I'd love to give my Svengoolie figure an evil chainsaw-chicken sidekick.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Moth wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:16 pm That was at a Tamashii event in like, late 2019? Was interesting.
Yeah, and I imagine they had something planned but the dumpster fire of 2020 kind of slowed it down to a crawl and its just now being picked up again.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Just thinking about an SHMA FinalGoji gets me hyped. I’d finally be able to have the badass, detailed figure of the Godzilla i’ve wanted for so long!

...really hope they don’t fuck it up. Goes for the eventual Monster X, too
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 am Just thinking about an SHMA FinalGoji gets me hyped. I’d finally be able to have the badass, detailed figure of the Godzilla i’ve wanted for so long!

Been saying Monster X needs a release for many years. The design begs for a highly articulated figure.

I'd probably pick up an 04 goji, too. It's another design that, if done right, could look wonderful on the shelf.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Okay, random freak question.
Yesterday I got the Burning G 2019 in the mail, ugly figure to toy with, looks nice on the shelf. One thing that irritates the fuck out of me is the left elbow joint, where it connects to the forearm, sticks out a lot and it looks godawful compared to the right one.
Small diagram I whipped up
I'm mostly trying to figure out to make it like, not ugly and like the right arm, because this is bugging the fuck out of me.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Moth wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 am Okay, random freak question.
Yesterday I got the Burning G 2019 in the mail, ugly figure to toy with, looks nice on the shelf. One thing that irritates the fuck out of me is the left elbow joint, where it connects to the forearm, sticks out a lot and it looks godawful compared to the right one.
Small diagram I whipped up
I'm mostly trying to figure out to make it like, not ugly and like the right arm, because this is bugging the fuck out of me.
I’ve never seen this, but it’s most likely due to the extreme overuse of Goji19’s mold + low QC with the Burning-G SHMA in general.

I can’t quite tell exactly what problem you’re having by your quickly doodled sketch, but if i’m understanding right, you could use a toothpick/Q-tip and push the ball into a better looking place. Otherwise I got nothin’

Added in 3 minutes 39 seconds:
Maritonic wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:53 am
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 am Just thinking about an SHMA FinalGoji gets me hyped. I’d finally be able to have the badass, detailed figure of the Godzilla i’ve wanted for so long!

Been saying Monster X needs a release for many years. The design begs for a highly articulated figure.

I'd probably pick up an 04 goji, too. It's another design that, if done right, could look wonderful on the shelf.
Monster X would be especially easy to fuck up, with all those details and how humanoid he is. I hope Bandai doesn’t cheap out again and not include any effect parts for FinalGoji or Monster X, either.

One things for certain though. There will be a red atomic breath FinalGoji variant, it will be overpriced to hell, and none of us are gonna be able to get it for MSRP :lol:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:01 am One things for certa it will be overpriced to hell, and none of us are gonna be able to get it for MSRP :lol:
I'll take that bet. Got all my SHMA for MSRP easily.

Quote of the Year: