King Kong Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: King Kong Toys

Post by Shenanigans »

GFAN198423 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:34 am Looks like BBTS is getting more stock of the original X-Plus Kong: Skull Island Kong.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/164853
Its actually a model kit, unassembled and unpainted. BBTS really should note that.

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillaleg ... -model-kit

I was wondering why it was so cheap... though for an unpainted kit, that price might actually be too much. :freak:
canofhumdingers wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:53 pm I was in Target today and they had all three neca Kongs. Multiples of each even.

Gotta be honest, I think the first release had the best head sculpt. The newer one comes with better accessories. The jaw articulation is nice it also kinda hinders the head sculpt. Also, it had way more bloody battle scars (or at the very least they were painted far more obviously) on the face which really hampers the look IMO. I don’t mind the battle scars, but they were just overdone and becoming obtrusive on the new head sculpt.
Agreed 100%, I love the default face of the original; none of the other heads quite capture that vintage-style look. The new ones are great for the accessories, but the original head is my favorite look for Kong.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

That's the look I've been trying to get! How did you do it? I'm using GIMP if that makes any difference.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Love this figure! Can't wait for the biplane version too. (Ann Darrow from the Mezco Kong.)
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Sat May 22, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I picture of Kong smacking Ann away with the stick and telling the lizard "Don't worry! I got it!'

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Platypus Prime wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:43 am That's the look I've been trying to get! How did you do it? I'm using GIMP if that makes any difference.
I *think* that black and white effect might have been a filter on my phone, lol. Was a while ago.
Poe Ghostal wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:15 am Image

Love this figure! Can't wait for the biplane version too. (Ann Darrow from the Mezco Kong.)
Can that NECA Kong hold the little Mezco Ann Darrow?

Great photos BTW!

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Heads up. The Neca "Concrete Jungle" King Kong (with shackles and airplane) and the Skull Island version (with island creatures and branch club) are now in stock at the Target site.
Last edited by Doc Phibes on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrPhilizSick@sHell98
Monarch Researcher

Post by DrPhilizSick@sHell98 »

The Skull Island and Concrete Jungle version arrived in the mail today from Target.

The bases are from the Mcfarlane DC Multiverse two-packs. I'll probably commission someone to make a empire state building base for the Concrete Jungle version. If they ever make a black and white version, (which they likely will) I'll probably use the articulated jaw headsculpt on that one since it reminds me of the up close shots of when they show the animatronic Kong moving his mouth up and down.

If I get the illustrated version, I'll probably keep that one misb.
Last edited by DrPhilizSick@sHell98 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@Dee_Sniper98 ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一 on Instagram

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Skull Island and Concrete Jungle are on BBTS for an August release date.

RIP Evan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Still not sure why they haven't done a monochrome one yet. I would have thought we'd get that well before the Famous Monsters variant.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:05 am Still not sure why they haven't done a monochrome one yet. I would have thought we'd get that well before the Famous Monsters variant.
I think this is why. It's the most obvious one so they're waiting to do it in favor for more unique variants

RIP Evan.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Island Kong seems tantalizing to me for the little creatures included. Need a Kong, so I will consider it.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

If the battle cuts don't bother you, the Island version is probably the best buy, especially if you don't have one already.

SoggyNoodles2016

You know, I was thinking on it, and it fucking baffles me NECA isn't doing anything based on 2005 Kong.

They have the license for Kong, they clearly have a contract with Universal (between the Monsters, Jaws, The Thing, techincally American Werewolf, and BTTF), it's bene untouched on the collecting scene for years and tbh, I love that movie and having affordable representation like that would be a dream.

Like, I doubt given the complicated rights of Kong they can do any other incarnations but this seems like one they should be easily able to do and they're just...not.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:42 am You know, I was thinking on it, and it skreeonking baffles me NECA isn't doing anything based on 2005 Kong.

They have the license for Kong, they clearly have a contract with Universal (between the Monsters, Jaws, The Thing, techincally American Werewolf, and BTTF), it's bene untouched on the collecting scene for years and tbh, I love that movie and having affordable representation like that would be a dream.

Like, I doubt given the complicated rights of Kong they can do any other incarnations but this seems like one they should be easily able to do and they're just...not.
Honestly, they could probably reuse chunks of their Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Luca sculpt.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:42 am You know, I was thinking on it, and it fucking baffles me NECA isn't doing anything based on 2005 Kong.

There's a lot of things NECA could easily do that they just... don't do. I love their figures but mannn, it's pretty clear what their priorities are (and how ridiculously contradictory they are sometimes)

SoggyNoodles2016

DirektorSplennic wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:32 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:42 am You know, I was thinking on it, and it skreeonking baffles me NECA isn't doing anything based on 2005 Kong.

There's a lot of things NECA could easily do that they just... don't do. I love their figures but mannn, it's pretty clear what their priorities are (and how ridiculously contradictory they are sometimes)
Very, very true.

Just look at the fact they've literally done four Kongs and not a single new figure.

RIP Evan.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:05 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:32 am

Very, very true.

Just look at the fact they've literally done four Kongs and not a single new figure.
Right? And since Kong's most famous enemy is a damn T Rex, there's no way in hell they'd pull the "niche" card because literally anybody would buy a T Rex. They just don't care enough, and choose to make the Kong line 4 of the EXACT SAME figure with slight tooling or paint variations with different accessories. Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah! The AVP line :/

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I wonder if Neca will eventually release their own 18 inch Kong figure.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Got the NECA Concrete Jungle King Kong yesterday and I am a big fan. I personally think that the head sculpt on this one is the best in recapturing the face of the original King Kong. Someone pointed out the close up shots of the head in the movie in particular and I second how that inspired the head sculpt of this figure. I think that the figure is very substantial for the price and I don't mind that it doesn't scale great with Godzilla figures. You can see the pictures I took in the link below, but it scales nicely with old school dinosaur figures you can probably find all over. It even scales well with the V Rex I have from back in the day.

Definitely recommend this figure!

http://imgur.com/gallery/y1S3tmD

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

My Rebor Mesozoic Rhapsody retrosaur is on the way from BBTS and should scale very well with the amazing Neca Kong. The Kong-TRex fight from the original KONG has become my favorite scene over the past few years. And I'm not waiting for Neca to release an accessory to recreate it.

And yeah, the Concrete Jungle Kong is wonderful.