King Kong Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Re: King Kong Toys

Post by Poe Ghostal »

For what it's worth, last week I boiled the hell out of a NECA Phantom figure to loosen his limbs and he's fine now.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Went to FYE today and saw they had King Kong '33 pint glasses. I was tempted, but I'm sure they'll be there next week so I'll be grabbing them then.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:25 pm Nanmu V. Rex has been released!

Preorders are up at BBTS and Lanatime shop (likely other places that stock Nanmu but these are the only two I've found. 70-80 for the figure and 95 for the deluxe version that comes with the Kong boneyard stand. Looks GORGEOUS so I won't mind dipping into them once they're out, maybe not preorders because I'm juggling so many currently lol.
Oh now that is just absolutely fantastic! The detail and different color schemes look brilliant its nice that they allow the mouth to be opened or closed

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I want to know what happened to those dinosaurs that NECA teased. Its been months and they haven't uttered a single word about them as far as I know. I know they like to tease things sometimes ahead of a "big reveal" but I'm wondering what the plan was here. Maybe some behind-the-scenes drama delayed the reveal/release?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:06 am I want to know what happened to those dinosaurs that NECA teased. Its been months and they haven't uttered a single word about them as far as I know. I know they like to tease things sometimes ahead of a "big reveal" but I'm wondering what the plan was here. Maybe some behind-the-scenes drama delayed the reveal/release?
I'm thinking either drama or this was supposed to be a generic tease of the figures existing in the place of an actual convention reveal (ala the NECA UM and American Werewolf stuff). So, that was just basically a "hey, we're making these!" image and we're not gonna see them ready for eventual order for a couple of months.

Doesn't make it LESS disappointing though.....

RIP Evan.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I’ve still got my fingers crossed those figures will come with a “Meat Eater” figure.

But yeah, that tease was a while ago at this point.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Well, they did a 'Monster Monday' thing April 19, where they showed their Kong with a small Ann Darrow in hand. Maybe it's a tease for an accessory pack? I could see a multipack of simple no/minimal articulation figures as props. Pterodactyl, Two-legged lizard, Ann, maybe a big log and some casualties to put on it, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/necaofficial/p ... 7625927925
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I’m 90% sure that’s the Mezco Ann Darrow, and I think that might be a community photo.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:22 pm Well, they did a 'Monster Monday' thing April 19, where they showed their Kong with a small Ann Darrow in hand. Maybe it's a tease for an accessory pack? I could see a multipack of simple no/minimal articulation figures as props. Pterodactyl, Two-legged lizard, Ann, maybe a big log and some casualties to put on it, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/necaofficial/p ... 7625927925
That's a fan photo feature, nothing to do with upcoming product.

Here's the original.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMD-U_Kgcpx/

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Neca has done some nice accessory packs in the past, I'm sure Kong's will be pretty tight.
I'd love some cuffs and chains, Ann to grip up, the Ptery and the lizard up there, maybe a crown and a KONG 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD marquee.
T. Rex down the line for sure, maybe a plesiosaur too!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SoggyNoodles2016

All I really want is a closed mouth head lol. I love the faces but it keeps Kong from being too expressive.

Everything else you mentioned, Major, would only be icing on the cake.

RIP Evan.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Now watch as the closed-mouth head only comes with a Black and White repaint, so it doesn't match either the original or the Illustrated release. Though the only one I have is the Illustrated, I've never seen a head-swap between it and the original so I'm not sure how well those two match up either.

SoggyNoodles2016

Good news: we finally have information on the Pit Lizard and Pteranodon figures!

Bad news: they aren't part of an accesory set but as part of a new Kong figure currently seen in the wild.

I'm glad it's not a black and white repaint that would be incompatible with roaring Kong and I'll gladly pick it up to permantly replace my broken one, but man, is this a bit disappointing. Would have gladly copped a figure set.

RIP Evan.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

3 straight releases of Kong with no character variety... apparently Neca didn't learn their lesson from their Crash Bandicoot line. Oh well. A good case study of why you shouldn't buy first releases of Neca figures, I suppose.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Boy I'm not gonna lie, that's irritating. Classic Neca shenanigans. I love the Kong but I'm definitely not buying a whole second one for some different hands, heads and a cuppa critters.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I'll get it. The heads are new and mostly likely compatible with the original release. One Kong will always be on my desk or nightstand for playing with. The other will be on a shelf as part of a '33 Kong diorama. The whole package will still be much cheaper than buying one of those 3rd party custom heads I've seen online.

But, dammit, I really wanted the big' 33 dino for Kong to fight.

Where do you think those photos were taken? I don't get why Neca releases this in the wild before any official announcement. Store exclusive? If so, which?

SoggyNoodles2016

Doc Phibes wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:46 pm
But, dammit, I really wanted the big' 33 dino for Kong to fight.
Still a possibility they are coming, we just know these guys won't be an accessory pack
Where do you think those photos were taken? I don't get why Neca releases this in the wild before any official announcement. Store exclusive? If so, which?
Idk, friend of mine sent the images. Don't know where they came from. Illustrated was being shown off before getting a NECA announcement so...
Noble Saber wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:32 pm 3 straight releases of Kong with no character variety... apparently Neca didn't learn their lesson from their Crash Bandicoot line. Oh well. A good case study of why you shouldn't buy first releases of Neca figures, I suppose.
Well, we won't get roaring heads ;)

But yeah this is annoying. Fingers crossed this doesn't go Pacific Rim

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pretty awful that they keep shitting out Kong variants nobody asked for instead of expanding the line with other monsters for him to fight. I'm not buying an additional Kong just to get the creatures he comes with.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I may be wrong, but the heads in package look very similar and don't seem to quite match one of the package pictures? I'm tempted to get a $10 Papo Pteranodon from Amazon with points, give it to my 'Illustrated' Kong to beat on, and call it an 85% solution. NECA's Kongs are not expensive and it's not a bad deal at all for what you get, but I have a monkey I like more, being iffy on the 'bloody cuts' look. I'm sure I can find a lizard I can modify, or just get a cheap Skull Crawler.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

The heads are different, variations on a growling Kong with bared teeth. According to the original poster, he found it at a Target in Michigan. So maybe a Target exclusive?

Here's the link to his Instagram:
https://instagram.com/ghido_goji
Last edited by Doc Phibes on Thu May 06, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.