King Kong Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Re: King Kong Toys

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:55 pm I may be wrong, but the heads in package look very similar and don't seem to quite match one of the package pictures? I'm tempted to get a $10 Papo Pteranodon from Amazon with points, give it to my 'Illustrated' Kong to beat on, and call it an 85% solution. NECA's Kongs are not expensive and it's not a bad deal at all for what you get, but I have a monkey I like more, being iffy on the 'bloody cuts' look. I'm sure I can find a lizard I can modify, or just get a cheap Skull Crawler.
I think the jaws on the new heads may be articulated. I can't wait to find this figure!

As for a pteranodon, I picked up the Amber Collection Pteranodon and it's pretty great with Kong. A bit expensive, but it's fully articulated.

https://www.target.com/p/jurassic-world ... nk=sametab
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Speaking honestly, I'm more annoyed they STILL have scowling/snarling Kongs.

Are no closed mouth neutral expressions like, a part of the rights?

It's insane

@Poe Ghostal: yeah, the Amber Collection is a good substitute, though I think it's too big. Eagerly awaiting the BOTM Tyrannosaur kickstarter, in case Neca wusses out they're our best bet. The Ceratopsians and Raptors work pretty decently with Kong already

Added in 4 minutes 31 seconds:
Also, noticed that the original Kong is listed solely as a King Kong figure.

So it seems likely this is the Ultimate King Kong.

RIP Evan.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:34 pm @Poe Ghostal: yeah, the Amber Collection is a good substitute, though I think it's too big. Eagerly awaiting the BOTM Tyrannosaur kickstarter, in case Neca wusses out they're our best bet. The Ceratopsians and Raptors work pretty decently with Kong already
Rebor has some really good "Charles R. Knight"-style T.rexes coming. They're not super-articulated but they should be scaled right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKGs1jbFNlp/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKJDaIjlMqe/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKLeNXhFogL/

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Yeah, I have the glow in the dark Zuniceratops on order, it can pull double-duty as a weird Skull Island species and a normal dino all depending on shelf context.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Eh, my main complaints about the original Kong were that it could have included more accessories, "grabbing" hands, and a clothed-mouth face. So I'm happy. Could be happier, but still happy. It would have been nice for them to have altered something or other on the main body, be it in the sculpt or paint, but thankfully this Kong is so damn good that I don't mind double-dipping.

Are we certain those other critters are in the box with him? I'm sure they could easily fit behind him, but I can't make them out. Wouldn't put it past NECA to include them on the box without a "sold separately" note.
Poe Ghostal wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:08 pm I think the jaws on the new heads may be articulated. I can't wait to find this figure!
Good catch! That'd certainly be a rarity for a Kong figure; not even the Monsterarts Kongs had articulated jaws.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 pm Are we certain those other critters are in the box with him? I'm sure they could easily fit behind him, but I can't make them out. Wouldn't put it past NECA to include them on the box without a "sold separately" note.
Check out the fine print at the bottom of the back of the package:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 pm Are we certain those other critters are in the box with him? I'm sure they could easily fit behind him, but I can't make them out. Wouldn't put it past NECA to include them on the box without a "sold separately" note.
Check out the fine print at the bottom of the back of the package:
Ah, I was looking at the gallery on the Instagram page and missed that pic. Thanks! They're certainly smaller than I was anticipating from those initial pics.

Also, just thinking, I wonder if he'd be able to hold the Mezco Ann Darrow in these new hands.

SoggyNoodles2016

Yeah, I'm guessing this is in the back like the atomic blast effect for Blueberry Godzilla 2019.

Where are y'all getting an articulated jaw from? Both of the head poses look the same as the one in box.

Also, wonder if the reason the other Skull Island dinosaurs are taking so long is because they're harder to nail while still staying in the public domain rights (cause how Kong is publicly is pretty close to 1933 but the exact rules of what a dinosaur should count as is more hard to define)

RIP Evan.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

That new king looks pretty nice! Is there anyway to see the pics without having social media accounts? The links want me to log in to view them.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Fri May 07, 2021 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Sigh... I'll still get it, but was really hoping it would be a set you know? Not a big fan on buying a new figure just for the accessories.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:32 am Where are y'all getting an articulated jaw from? Both of the head poses look the same as the one in box.
Check out this shot:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COi3ZNWgC3y/

Plus, the mouth appears to be more open in the packaging photos.

SoggyNoodles2016

Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:38 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:32 am Where are y'all getting an articulated jaw from? Both of the head poses look the same as the one in box.
Check out this shot:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COi3ZNWgC3y/

Plus, the mouth appears to be more open in the packaging photos.
Oh, dang. I thought it was just a trick on the packaging, but that's definitely a mouth seam.

Now, THAT'S interesting

RIP Evan.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Next will come the Comic-Con exclusive Black and White one, and a later glow-in-the-dark "Cinema Lights" version, and then the whatever-th anniversary "Messy Divorce" variant with Ann Darrow and a biplane, followed by the "Kong Hates Plumbers" version with a barrel it can throw, and...

Edit: I really would be interested to see the new heads, especially if the mouth articulation lets them make varied expressions. As you see above, I prefer the more 'dopey' 1933 style, but if I could get more variation, that would be really neat.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Fri May 07, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im actually kinda glad I chose not to get the original release. Something about it just didnt speak to me. But this new version looks way better.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So I found some more pics.

Jaw articulation!

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

The pics popping up on Instagram are gorgeous. Of course, the damn thing is already being scalped on eBay for 3-4 times what it must cost. I wish Target would just put it up on their site to order. When it comes to Brickseek, I'm hopeless. And the Target stores here in NYC are not so impressive when it comes to Neca toys.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I love the mouths and new hands that add a lot of opportunity, but I do wish they hadn't gone back to the 'bloody wounds' look. While I'm debating, I guess Poster Kong will just have to fight with the Avatar bird or something...

Edit: Full writeup at toyark, though their sample came missing his Angry Head eyebrows. Only one of the heads has mouth movement.
https://news.toyark.com/2021/05/09/king ... oot-427230
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Toyark spills the beans on the latest Neca Kong, along with a review and photo gallery. Apparently, this was supposed to be a Father's Day Target release, followed up by general retail availability later this summer. Of course, a couple Targets got their supply and just dumped them on shelves, schedule be damned. Too bad Neca gave them a figure with an error: the alternative angry head has no brow! Very weird looking! Gorgeous photos though.

https://news.toyark.com/2021/05/09/king ... oot-427230

(EDIT: I missed Platypus' edit)
Last edited by Doc Phibes on Mon May 10, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 am Next will come...the whatever-th anniversary "Messy Divorce" variant with Ann Darrow and a biplane...

SoggyNoodles2016

You know, I was thinking that was funny but given that this is being listed as Ultimate King Kong (Skull Island), it would not be surprised if a normal Ultimate based around the New York finale might be next.

Crushed plane, chains, legally non-distinct Anne Darrow, I might buy it just so I can officially get rid of my Mezco with no regrets lol.

RIP Evan.