King Kong Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Re: King Kong Toys

Post by Anguirus »

My Neca Kong came in. It's a great figure! Now to decide whether to get the Mezco.
Last edited by Anguirus on Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Anguirus wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:42 am My Neca Kong came in. It's a great figure! Now to decide whether to get the Mezco.
DO IT
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I think the proper name for a group of monkeys is a "Barrel". You could have a Barrel of Kongs.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:03 pm I think the proper name for a group of monkeys is a "Barrel". You could have a Barrel of Kongs.
Well, "Troop" or "Band" is the usual term for a group of primates, but on the other hand what qualifies as the "proper" name is pretty undefined, so whatever floats your boat. Or barrel.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Ah, too bad. Maybe a "keg" then, at least the one from King Kong vs. Godzilla would agree. A keg of Kongs. Which is actually just ONE Kong and a lot of kegs.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Anguirus wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:42 am My Neca Kong came in. It's a great figure! Now to decide whether to get the Mezco.
Speaking personally as a humble Noodle with both, NECA is the better figure. Mezco looks great and has some neat accessories but is too damn stiff, thing's basically a statue you can slightly adjust. NECA is better all around.

RIP Evan.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:20 pm
Speaking personally as a humble Noodle with both, NECA is the better figure. Mezco looks great and has some neat accessories but is too damn stiff, thing's basically a statue you can slightly adjust. NECA is better all around.
Yep, I endup playing with the neca for a while then when i went to grab my mezco i was like "Was this always this way? did some of the plastic got melted restricting the joints somehow? Did it glue it self?" The neca is way better figure. IF ONLY IT WAS 12 INCHES TALL!! Come on neca! Give us a 1/6 kong!

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I got the Mezco Kong. And he was beautiful. But that wasn't enough. So, I got the Neca Kong. And he was incredible. But that wasn't enough. So, I got the Bandai MV Kong. And he was badass. But... that still wasn't enough!

So, now I have the Mezco 18 inch Ultimate Kong on its way to me. That's the highest recommendation I can make for the Mezco 7": the sculpt is so gorgeous and dynamic that I had to shell out $200 more for a bigger version.

It's those eyes of his. Their yellow glare made me too terrified to resist.

Any recommendations for a generic 6" female figure that I could customize into Ann Darrow for Kong? No ab crunch needed, just bare Caucasian arms and legs.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I'm glad I have the Mezco figure, but only because I can use its accessories with the NECA figure.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Any of the generic looking girl figures Figuarts or Figma makes might do the job, several anime girls come with screaming faces. Or some of the more civilian-style Marvel Legends. BigBadToyStore has a lot of options in both. Apologies on the Transformer, but I didn't have a big Kong to compare to:

I'm trying to find a much smaller one that would work with NECA Kong. Neither the tiny generic ones that came with a random model kit I found, or Lego mini-figures quite do it, though as I noted in the Picture thread, I do think he's going to get those lucky charms...

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Finished this repro of the old Aurora kit today.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I just got the recent NECA Kong figure also. Amazing figure for sure. The detail and level of quality is just fantastic. I like it so much I might get another.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Zasraniec wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:25 pm I just got the recent NECA Kong figure also. Amazing figure for sure. The detail and level of quality is just fantastic. I like it so much I might get another.
Same here but I have less illustrious motives: mine took a dive and his foot broke off (I superglued it back on) and now, he's a bitch to pose :lol: :lol: :lol:

RIP Evan.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I've noticed that the ankles on my Illustrated Kong are so stiff as to be unusable. Is there a trick to them?

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Has anyone determined the actual weight of the Mezco 18" Kong with just one head and two hands by itself? FedEx has the package at 18 lbs or so. Most retailers list the whole boxed set at roughly 13 lbs.

I only ask because this behemoth is approaching my apartment soon and I have to figure out what horizontal surfaces in my dwindling space are safe enough for His Majesty's punishing mass. And I don't own a scale.
Last edited by Doc Phibes on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I finally opened my illustrated Kong this morning, and it really is an outstanding figure. One ankle is a little stiff, but otherwise the articulation is top-tier. I tend not to do much with my NECA Godzillers, either because their articulation is harder to work with or I just like keeping them in a certain pose, but I can tell I'm going to be adjusting Kong all the time, putting him in different poses and stuff. He's one of my favorite figures already.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuMan80
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuMan80 »

Wrong thread.
Last edited by KaijuMan80 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbuick6
Ronin

Post by tbuick6 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm Finished this repro of the old Aurora kit today.

Awesome ! I have a Polar Lights Kong still in it's box. After seeing what a great job you did, there it will remain. Can't imagine getting mine to look as good as yours. Love the paint job!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

This isn't remotely the right scale but I found an old Pirates of the Caribbean figure in a parts box. I scrubbed off all the dirt and repainted the hair to be brighter. I am not sure if I will paint the dress to be a better color or what that would even be. But for a low-budget (I spent nothing) work around for Kong, why not? Let's face it, some of the 'buildings' in my city-shelf are just things I found that looked vaguely like one. Nothing in this picture is in scale, including the picture itself.

Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

The Jurassic Park Amber Collection Pteranodon looks like it might make for a great foe for NECA Kong

https://www.target.com/p/jurassic-world ... A-81820394

Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary