What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by Executive Hamster »

I actually found that the Playmates Gorosaurus looks worse than the Playmates Rodan. To me, it doesnt really look much like Gorosaurus and more like a derpy Lost World dinosaur from the 1920s. The rodan at least looks decent. I still havent bought any Playmates. There are a few I want, but it seems like there are still availability issues, so I dont want to take away opportunities for the kiddies to get em since Im not their target audience anyways.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

A friend found the Playmates Gorosaurus at Target for me!

Something about that neck joint is just weird.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:26 pm A friend found the Playmates Gorosaurus at Target for me!

Something about that neck joint is just weird.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/517 ... 0d97_c.jpg
What do you expect when your chiropractor who shows up to work looking like the side of building in Los Angeles?

NGL, laughed pretty hard at that image. Grats on the rare Gorosaurus find. Still trying to find more for friends but I just got lucky once D:

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

This lovely boy came in today!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Continuing the trend of getting things months later than I should, bought the special heat ray Godzilla Ultima thing

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

The holiday quadruple of SHMA Godzilla 89, SHMA SCV Biollante, Bandai Gamera 3, and Iris just got taken out of boxes last night. Still processing the awesomeness I just unleashed lol.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Ive now made payment 2/3 of my 40th Anniversary Memorial box. $550 down, $450 to go. Ive worked a bunch of extra hours this week to cover all of that in just one more paycheck. Its happening boys.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:06 pm Continuing the trend of getting things months later than I should, bought the special heat ray Godzilla Ultima thing
Your picture here was the tipping point and made me pull the trigger on him too. Also got two more exclusive Ultra 500/SPARK DOLLS!!!!

Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:46 pm Your picture here was the tipping point and made me pull the trigger on him too.
Pretty funny since I literally just plucked that image off the internet. But overall, the figure is way cooler than I remember it being. I remember passing on it when it first came out then suddenly like a week ago was like "wait a minute, that thing looks awesome!"
---------------------------------------------------------
I haven't made the final payment on the Memorial Box, per say, I will Monday, but my work week ended yesterday so now Ive worked all I needed to make it happen. Feels very good.
EDIT: THE BOX HAS BEEN SHIPPED OUT! It should arrive in 6 to 10 days. Me and the seller know each other very well so he was ok with sending it out before I made the final payment.

I also THINK Im getting Jet Jaguar today. Just the standard Bandai. Bought him with my christmas money.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Preordered the upcoming CCP Landing Period Hedorah (Toxic version)

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Got my first sofubis this Christmas! M1 Lucky Grab Bag ‘99. Comes with Godzilla 1974 and Jet Jaguar! Will post pics later!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I'm speechless
(Spacegodzilla is the best figure btw, no contest)
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That Space Godzilla mold hasn't aged too well, but the size and that particular color are really good.

I still remember my first impression of the original 8" Space Godzilla figure being extremely positive. The strong blues and reds of the first release are rather simplistic and the sculpt had to cut corners, but that thing was big. At the time it was one of the tallest and longest standard figures aside from Mechaghidorah. Don't like the movie, don't care for the monster but it was a cool toy.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I would argue that the mold still looks amazing. Of all the ones in this set, its one of the better sculpts. Ive found myself prefering most of the early 90s Bandai sculpts over the newer ones, they just look better to me. 91-95 is peak Bandai as far as that goes. Ive sorta incidentally fallen in love with SpaceGodzilla. I mean, I always enjoyed his movie, like all of the Heisei films, but I never really thought about him till I started getting a bunch of space godzilla figures that are all absolutely awesome. Was very excited for him, and he did not disappoint.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm extremely nostalgia for the 90s Bandais, and many of them are incredible, but I don't know if I'd say that, across the board, they're the best sculpts. Bandai went through a period between 2001 and 2007 where their figures - just on a basic sculpting level - were insane.

The GMK figures, the Kiryu-Gojis, Final Wars Gigan, Mechagodzilla II, Titanosaurus, G'74, all the new Godzilla sculpts in the Memorial Box, Hedora...from a raw sculpt standpoint, this was Bandais finest period.

Now, in my opinion, yes they've taken quite a dive. I was really let down by this year's Megalon. It and Gorosaurus really felt like their hearts weren't in it and they were happier reusing old designs. Some of the anime trilogy figures were pretty weak and the stuff released for KOTM were some of their worst. I think if we take the Singular Point stuff out of the equation (I don't own any but at least they're colorful toys of some nutty designs) Bandai's entire output from the past decade would look much worse.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Ok, I guess I should mention that what I consider to be my favorite isn't synonymous with what I think is the best. Which is why I agree with you completely that the "BEST" Bandai figures are indeed 2001-2007. (to add on that, Id say that Final Wars Gigan and Keizer Ghidorah are specifically the best Bandai figures of all time in terms of sheer detail and even paint application. The first time I saw a picture of the MMS Gigan I genuinely thought it was an Xplus...but I digress) So yes, I agree absolutely with what you said there. However, my personal favorite period will always be 91-94. Now that I think about it, Im not sure why. All I know is that I spend a lot of time just staring at my large scale Godzilla 1991 or my Yamata No Orochi, for example.

Tangent aside, I have mixed thoughts on modern Bandai. On the one hand, they are, for the most part, objectively worse than say 2001-2007. Especially the paint. On the other hand, I actually kind of like the minimalist paint schemes....ok, calling it minimalist is giving it too much credit. Its lazy, blatantly lazy, but weirdly enough I kinda like how it looks.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:15 pm I'm speechless
(Spacegodzilla is the best figure btw, no contest)
I love the old Bandai Showa Ghidorah. One of the few 8" scale Bandais I own, and it scales PERFECTLY with the later 6" Bandai lines.

The Y-MSF group that has been waiting to ship for a lil bit.

SHFA Ultraman Tiga, Bandai Bolgils and Pacific Rim Uprising's Shrikethorn.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:50 pm However, my personal favorite period will always be 91-94. Now that I think about it, Im not sure why. All I know is that I spend a lot of time just staring at my large scale Godzilla 1991 or my Yamata No Orochi, for example.
Yeah that's my favorite period too, though I'll expand the time frame to include everything from the very beginning in 1983 to mid 1995 right before they switched to soft vinyl and matte vinyl.

The sculpts would often be extremely good (though not in every case) but the paint would be metallic or sometimes the vinyl colors would be just a little off (though this is more the case with the Ultramonsters). So while many figures look like terrific collectibles, you never forget what they actually are at the end of the day: toys.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I understand what you mean about Ghidorah, the six inch ones just didn't work for me. I had one, but I sold it to someone who appreciated it more, and used the money towards the SCV one which will work better in my mixed-line shelf. Though the vinyl Rainbow and normal Mothras, plus the larvae, I thought worked great and I see no reason to change them, or my 1995 Gamera.

That reminds me, SCV Ghidorah should ship soon! Probably some delays of course, but we're in the right year!