Diorama Advice/Help Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Diorama Advice/Help Thread

Post by goji89 »

canofhumdingers wrote:Well, someone posted some videos in the other thread but it’s no secret. Just the right materials and lots of practice. Some people use cotton balls, others use various forms of stuffing for pillows, cushions, stuffed animals, etc.

The basic idea is you create a base structure, glue the material on and stretch it into the appropriate shape and paint it. For getting such a specific shape (specifically the billowy smoke effect at the back) he probably used some sort of spray adhesive to help hold it in place. For the stretched out fast moving rocket exhaust he probably glued it to a wire (he’s got to have a wire or post holding the missies) as he stretched it out thin. It’s also quite possible that he gently trimmed the stuffing/cotton as he pulled it into shape to help refine the look.
Yup, tried, maybe I just suck :lol: . But, I'll get it eventually right? I mean it's just playing with your cotton balls till you get it just right.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I was thinking of finding some tanks for my collection but I'm not sure what scale. my collection centers around the 5 to 6 inch (mostly HG gundams and figuarts ultraman, etc) scale with larger pieces reaching 7 to 19 inches at max (jaegers, kaiju, etc)
your source of self destruction

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Try Z Scale.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Also look into table top military gaming miniatures. For a 6 inch scale showa figure (a 50m monster) you're looking for something around 1/350 scale (anything 1/300 to 1/400 will probably look fine). For 6 inch heisei figures (100m monsters) you're looking for 1/700 scale or close.

There's actually lots of stuff out there in these scales. I've even found sky scrapers and other buildings. eBay is your friend here. And 3D printing services like shapeways have TONS of vehicles. You can even find JSDF specific vehicles (modern and vintage, so you can have the appropriate era with the monster...)

The one caveat is MOST of this stuff (whether it's made on demand from shapeways or a premade product from a gaming manufacturer) requires at least some assembly and painting so you'll need some basic modeling skills.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

So, I want to make dioramas/displays for my NECA figures. My Jasons, Pennywise, Michael Myers. So I'm thinking some minor things, like houses, cemeteries, sewer drains, all in scale. But, I've never done anything like this. Any one have any suggestions or know where I can start to look?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote:So, I want to make dioramas/displays for my NECA figures. My Jasons, Pennywise, Michael Myers. So I'm thinking some minor things, like houses, cemeteries, sewer drains, all in scale. But, I've never done anything like this. Any one have any suggestions or know where I can start to look?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I've been googling like a madman, and never even thought to look on YouTube. Duh. Thanks!
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Beware of madmen Googling... :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Just putting this here in case anyone wants to do these sort of dioramas......pretty cool.

Last edited by goji89 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

https://www.deviantart.com/themasterofm ... -761071804 never thought I'd ever use the term "cute" to describe a tank however...

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

master_of_monsters wrote:https://www.deviantart.com/themasterofm ... -761071804 never thought I'd ever use the term "cute" to describe a tank however...
Ah shcisse, it's that anime again...
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:https://www.deviantart.com/themasterofm ... -761071804 never thought I'd ever use the term "cute" to describe a tank however...

this is from an anime? huh, that actually explains a bit now that I think about it :oops:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

master_of_monsters wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:

this is from an anime? huh, that actually explains a bit now that I think about it :oops:
Yeah, its an anime about schoolgirls driving tanks in a tank vs. tank tournament. It's popular in the WoT fanbase.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Guys I need HELP.

OKAY, so say Godzilla represents 100 meters in 6 inches. Please show me ALL from the ruler how that can be achieved. Does 1 cm equal 2 meters or does an inch equal how many meters it represents.. ...im too stupid to understand this shiit....AAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Dude. It’s just basic math. It’s called “scale” but it’s really just fractions. You can calculate it yourself.

Let’s take your example of a 6 inch Heisei Godzilla. Heisei Godzilla is 100 meters. A quick google (just type “100 meters in inches”) tells us that 100 meters is 3937 inches.

So we make an equation of fractions. x/3937 = 1/6. Solve for x by multiplying each side by 3937. That gives x = 3937/6 solves to x=656. This means that it takes 656 six inch Godzilla’s to equal one 100 meter tall Godzilla, and that gives us our scale. A 6 inch Heisei godzilla is 1/656 scale, which is also commonly written as 1:656 and is read as “one to six hundred fifty sixth scale” or alternatively (and maybe more commonly) “one six hundred fifty sixth scale”. (This is why 12 inch human action figures are call “one sixth” figures. They’re 1:6 scale).

Now that you know the scale, you can figure out how big anything should be next to the figure to be “in scale”. You just take the real measurement and divide it by 656. Then use google (as illustrated above) to convert the units if you need to (like meters to inches, feet to inches, etc.)

The other thing you can do is look for miniatures that are close to the 1:656 scale. The closest common scale that things are regularly made in is 1:700 scale. They will technically be too small (the BIGGER the bottom or second number, the SMALLER the scale; because it’s a fraction), we’re talking a millimeter or two when dealing with a six inch representation of a 100 meter kaiju.

For quick reference, a 6 inch Showa 50m monster is 1:328 scale so miniatures anywhere from 1:300 to 1:350 scale would be close enough to work well.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

canofhumdingers wrote:Dude. It’s just basic math. It’s called “scale” but it’s really just fractions. You can calculate it yourself.

Let’s take your example of a 6 inch Heisei Godzilla. Heisei Godzilla is 100 meters. A quick google (just type “100 meters in inches”) tells us that 100 meters is 3937 inches.

So we make an equation of fractions. x/3937 = 1/6. Solve for x by multiplying each side by 3937. That gives x = 3937/6 solves to x=656. This means that it takes 656 six inch Godzilla’s to equal one 100 meter tall Godzilla, and that gives us our scale. A 6 inch Heisei godzilla is 1/656 scale, which is also commonly written as 1:656 and is read as “one to six hundred fifty sixth scale” or alternatively (and maybe more commonly) “one six hundred fifty sixth scale”. (This is why 12 inch human action figures are call “one sixth” figures. They’re 1:6 scale).

Now that you know the scale, you can figure out how big anything should be next to the figure to be “in scale”. You just take the real measurement and divide it by 656. Then use google (as illustrated above) to convert the units if you need to (like meters to inches, feet to inches, etc.)

The other thing you can do is look for miniatures that are close to the 1:656 scale. The closest common scale that things are regularly made in is 1:700 scale. They will technically be too small (the BIGGER the bottom or second number, the SMALLER the scale; because it’s a fraction), we’re talking a millimeter or two when dealing with a six inch representation of a 100 meter kaiju.

For quick reference, a 6 inch Showa 50m monster is 1:328 scale so miniatures anywhere from 1:300 to 1:350 scale would be close enough to work well.
Thank you for taking the time to do this for me....your a good guy.

Soooo........lets say a tree medium size say....15-20 ft. On a ruler that would be arooound...1mm?? Damn it dude I stated in my post im stupid.....in lamens terms please.
Last edited by goji89 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

You just follow the instructions I already laid out. Take the real measurement, and divide it by 656 to get the proper size to scale with a 6 inch Heisei figure.

20 feet divided by 656 is approximately 0.03 feet. Google “.03 feet in millimeters” and it will tell you its about 9 millimeters.

I already did the hard part for you (figuring out the scale to begin with). At this point all you have to do is follow my instructions. I don’t see this as being an issue of intelligence (I seriously doubt you’re as dumb as you claim) but more an issue of willingness to sit down and teach yourself the skill. But you can totally do it. I’ve laid out the groundwork and I’m more than happy to answer more questions or give more examples to help you learn how.

Also, as I mentioned, you can just shop for items (models, table top gaming miniatures, etc.) that are in 1:700 scale. It’s more than close enough to look good. Also, for 6 inch Showa figures (50 meter monsters) anything 1:300 to 1:350 scale will work. There’s tons of stuff available online. Ebay will turn up all sorts of treasures and you can find almost anything you can dream of on shapeways.com (a 3-d printer service) and order it in the scale or size you want.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

canofhumdingers wrote:You just follow the instructions I already laid out. Take the real measurement, and divide it by 656 to get the proper size to scale with a 6 inch Heisei figure.

20 feet divided by 656 is approximately 0.03 feet. Google “.03 feet in millimeters” and it will tell you its about 9 millimeters.

I already did the hard part for you (figuring out the scale to begin with). At this point all you have to do is follow my instructions. I don’t see this as being an issue of intelligence (I seriously doubt you’re as dumb as you claim) but more an issue of willingness to sit down and teach yourself the skill. But you can totally do it. I’ve laid out the groundwork and I’m more than happy to answer more questions or give more examples to help you learn how.

Also, as I mentioned, you can just shop for items (models, table top gaming miniatures, etc.) that are in 1:700 scale. It’s more than close enough to look good. Also, for 6 inch Showa figures (50 meter monsters) anything 1:300 to 1:350 scale will work. There’s tons of stuff available online. Ebay will turn up all sorts of treasures and you can find almost anything you can dream of on shapeways.com (a 3-d printer service) and order it in the scale or size you want.
:lol: ......Damn I like how you lay it down. Your right, I'll do it. I'll ask questions if I have any.

Again thanks bro.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Anyone knows a good site where I can download free buildings and stuff in 1:350 scale?
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Destorogoji wrote:Anyone knows a good site where I can download free buildings and stuff in 1:350 scale?
Download templates or download 3d models?