Diorama Advice/Help Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Diorama Advice/Help Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

How big are the Bandai Ultimate Structure sets? They Neca/MonsterArts scale or smaller. They're not bad looking and relatively cheap.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:How big are the Bandai Ultimate Structure sets? They Neca/MonsterArts scale or smaller. They're not bad looking and relatively cheap.
Without being able to measure, they look like they're something around 1/350-ish...

Have you got a decent source for these? I can't seem to find them anywhere for retail...

Last edited by ApexOversteer on Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

They got some sets on Ebay that aren't too expensive. As for retail I have no clue.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Check out this badass diorama featuring the X-Plus Gigantic Godzilla 2019 RIC!

KaijuAddicts has a good article on the diorama and how it was done: https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/ted-ekerin ... s-a-smash/

pjkong
Yojimbo

Post by pjkong »

[quote="Godzilla Vinyl Mania"]Small update. Added some perimeter strips underneath to reinforce the base and make it sit level due to the wiring.
I started working with paper buildings and had a couple layouts planned. One in scale with 6 inch figures and one with High Grade. I gotta admit though it was such a mind numbingly tedious task I had to put it aside. I'd upload pics but Im new and havent hit my 50 posts mark yet.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

pjkong wrote:
Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:Small update. Added some perimeter strips underneath to reinforce the base and make it sit level due to the wiring.
I started working with paper buildings and had a couple layouts planned. One in scale with 6 inch figures and one with High Grade. I gotta admit though it was such a mind numbingly tedious task I had to put it aside. I'd upload pics but Im new and havent hit my 50 posts mark yet.
Yeah...definitely tedious but imo a rewarding and good looking cost effective scenery option. Looking forward to seeing your progress when you can post pics. Good luck.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I recently got a 3d printer for my birthday and I wanted to print some skyscraper models from thingiverse for my 6 inch kaijus. What'd be good sizes for 50 meter and 100 meter monsters?

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I recently got a 3d printer for my birthday and I wanted to print some skyscraper models from thingiverse for my 6 inch kaijus. What'd be good sizes for 50 meter and 100 meter monsters?
A 50M Kaiju is 164 feet tall.

A 1 foot model of that Kaiju is, for ease of scaling, 1/160 scale.

A 6 inch model of that Kaiju is 1/320 scale.

So, you can either aim for 1/300 scale, or 1/350 scale with your buildings and they'll look fantastic.

If you assume that each floor in a building is 12 feet, a 10 story building is 120 feet tall.

In 1/300 scale, a 10 story building is 4.8 inches tall. in 1/350 scale, the same building is 4.1 inches tall.

Again, for ease of scaling, a 6 inch model of a 100 meter(328 foot) Kaiju, is roughly 1/650 scale.

That 10 story building, in 1/650 scale, would be 2.2 inches tall.

To figure scaling of pretty much anything, use this online scale calculator: http://scalecalculator.com/

I hope this helps.
Last edited by ApexOversteer on Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

ApexOversteer wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I recently got a 3d printer for my birthday and I wanted to print some skyscraper models from thingiverse for my 6 inch kaijus. What'd be good sizes for 50 meter and 100 meter monsters?
A 50M Kaiju is 164 feet tall.

A 1 foot model of that Kaiju is, for ease of scaling, 1/160 scale.

A 6 inch model of that Kaiju is 1/320 scale.

So, you can either aim for 1/300 scale, or 1/350 scale with your buildings and they'll look fantastic.

If you assume that each floor in a building is 12 feet, a 10 story building is 120 feet tall.

In 1/300 scale, a 10 story building is 4.8 inches tall. in 1/350 scale, the same building is 4.1 inches tall.

Again, for ease of scaling, a 6 inch model of a 100 meter(328 foot) Kaiju, is roughly 1/650 scale.

That 10 story building, in 1/650 scale, would be 2.2 inches tall.

To figure scaling of pretty much anything, use this online scale calculator: http://scalecalculator.com/

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much! I didn't expect to get a reply this fast. That scale calculator works wonders! I'm also printing a fleet of miniature Star Destroyers, and I wanted to make sure I get the different ship sizes correct.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Does anyone have any experience rigging up small LEDs? I’d like to run something along my 2019 Poster Godzilla to make it look like his dorsal plates are glowing.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

I need recomendations for companies that sell buildings in Z / 1:220 scale.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Birdman wrote:I need recomendations for companies that sell buildings in Z / 1:220 scale.
Most of the stuff in Z-scale must be assembled. If you check out Hobby Search, the Model Train HO/Z tab, the category "Structure" in the menu on the left, you'll find kits by Sankei, Plum, Tenshodo, Advance and Rokuhan. Another good search term is "Minituart Petit".

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/3086/0/8

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Got a long way to go before I would call it a diorama, but I finally started breaking out some of the model supplies I’ve had in storage for years and had some fun with it.

Gotta say, I was a bit disappointed to realize the decals for the building weren’t waterslide but just stickers (and have been a *pain* to get to stick to the round marquee at the top). And they weren’t even pre-cut! Had to slice ‘em out with an x-acto. Is that common for Japanese railroad buildings? This is the first one I’ve opened up.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

So, for S.H.MonsterArts, would this aircraft carrier be roughly in scale with Godzilla/Kong?

https://www.flyingmule.com/products/FV-861007A
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

It says it’s 1:700 scale which would be very close to in scale with the heisei series monsterarts. Given how huge legend goji is, the ship is probably technically a smidge too big to be properly in scale but it would be so close I’m sure it would look good with the figures.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:37 pm It says it’s 1:700 scale which would be very close to in scale with the heisei series monsterarts. Given how huge legend goji is, the ship is probably technically a smidge too big to be properly in scale but it would be so close I’m sure it would look good with the figures.
Yeah. I think the price tag is too much for me though (seems to be $100 minimum). I'll look for a cheaper alternative...

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

If you’re not averse to model building, there are plenty of ships (including aircraft carriers) in 1:700 scale for less.

Found this one in 1:800 which might be a little on the small side (vs 1:700 being a little too big) but should still be close enough to look good on display. If someone doesn’t beat me to it I can try to run the math later and give you a more accurate idea of scale for the Monsterverse SHMA figures.

https://internethobbies.com/products/acy-14212

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Thanks sir!

Has anyone ever tried ordering something from this ebay seller, eyepopdesigns?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/eyepopdesigns/ ... 1543.l2654
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Anyone looking for a literal bucketful of cheap diorama accessories? My wife dragged me into Marshall’s yesterday and I stumbled upon this “Air Force Fun Bucket” for $10. I impulse bought it for my kids b/c I knew they’d love it (and I was right!). But having actually had the toys in hand now, I’m seriously thinking about going back and grabbing another. Several of the ships and subs are surprisingly nice and with a little customization detail work and paint, they could make some great accessories for Godzilla dioramas.

Added in 4 minutes 11 seconds:
If you can’t find it locally, looks like Amazon has it for $15.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Days-Enter ... 593&sr=8-3