Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Executive Hamster »

Kinda random, but a few months ago in this thread I asked about the difference between the Japanese and Korean versions of the Bandai Godzilla 1991. As of earlier today I finally have both of them so I figured Id post a comparison for anyone who isn't aware of the differences yet.
Korean on the left, Japanese on the right.
They actually look a lot more noticeably different than I thought. Firstly, I should say that generally speaking, from what I have heard, the Japanese version is taller than the Korean version. But that wasn't the case for mine. My Japanese version is actually noticeably shorter.
Aside from that, there is also a difference in the material. Not just with the color being black on the Korean and charcoal grey on the Japanese, the vinyl itself feels different on both. The Japanese figure is a fair amount softer, though not "soft vinyl" by any means. It feels more similar to the large scale figure, where as the Korean version is hard as a rock. Other differences should be apparent from the photo.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:11 pm Kinda random, but a few months ago in this thread I asked about the difference between the Japanese and Korean versions of the Bandai Godzilla 1991. As of earlier today I finally have both of them...there is also a difference in the material. Not just with the color being black on the Korean and charcoal grey on the Japanese, the vinyl itself feels different on both. The Japanese figure is a fair amount softer, though not "soft vinyl" by any means. It feels more similar to the large scale figure, where as the Korean version is hard as a rock. Other differences should be apparent from the photo.
Given what you've described (black vinyl "hard as a rock"), I'm guessing that I have the Korean version, although mine definitely has the reddish eyes shown on the Japanese version in your picture. Which was released first?
Last edited by G1985 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

G1985 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:35 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:11 pm Kinda random, but a few months ago in this thread I asked about the difference between the Japanese and Korean versions of the Bandai Godzilla 1991. As of earlier today I finally have both of them...there is also a difference in the material. Not just with the color being black on the Korean and charcoal grey on the Japanese, the vinyl itself feels different on both. The Japanese figure is a fair amount softer, though not "soft vinyl" by any means. It feels more similar to the large scale figure, where as the Korean version is hard as a rock. Other differences should be apparent from the photo.
Given what you've described (black vinyl "hard as a rock"), I'm guessing that I have the Korean version, although mine definitely has the reddish eyes shown on the Japanese version in your picture. Which was released first?
The Japanese one.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

G1985 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:35 pm
Both my Japanese versions are very rock solid vinyl. Maybe there's a difference between the 91 release and the 93 two pack release? Not sure what the differences between those two are though (if there is any).

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:46 amBoth my Japanese versions are very rock solid vinyl. Maybe there's a difference between the 91 release and the 93 two pack release? Not sure what the differences between those two are though (if there is any).
I acquired mine in 1992 or early 1993 at the latest, and it had a hang tag attached, so I don't think it could be the two-pack version.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

G1985 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:36 am
DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:46 amBoth my Japanese versions are very rock solid vinyl. Maybe there's a difference between the 91 release and the 93 two pack release? Not sure what the differences between those two are though (if there is any).
I acquired mine in 1992 or early 1993 at the latest, and it had a hang tag attached, so I don't think it could be the two-pack version.
Yeah that would make sense since mine was also said to be the 91 release. Maybe Executive Hamster has the two pack version? Yours is definitely the japanese one if its got the orange eyes.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Mine also came with a tag attached, I just removed it cause I hate leaving the tag on. I dont know if I clarified but its still super hard, not soft vinyl by any means. It just was less hard than the Korean version.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 am Mine also came with a tag attached, I just removed it cause I hate leaving the tag on. I dont know if I clarified but its still super hard, not soft vinyl by any means. It just was less hard than the Korean version.
Oh okay. That makes more sense. So is the Korean version almost brittle? One of my Japanese 91's has a missing claw that cracked off. I can't imagine what the Korean version is like.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

That sounds accurate to me. I wouldn't want to test of course, but it does feel like it be more likely to break.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I've had it for a week, it's on the bottom of my shelf (I display each shelf in chronological order), and the Godzilla Store Hedorah STILL catches my eye. What a great figure.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

So did any of you order Megalon or Hedorah Color Variant from Showcase Daikaiju and if so have you got them yet or at least received a shipping notice? I ask because I preordered both a long time ago and I haven’t heard anything and it says they would be shipping them at the end of July. I messaged them and have heard nothing and they are usually really good when I have bought from them before but wasn’t sure if maybe there is a delay that I didn’t know about or what.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yes, I received my Megalon this past week with Jet Jaguar. The Hedorah probably hasn't arrived yet and they're waiting to ship it with Megalon.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I got my Megalon last week, and I got the shipping notification as soon as it was shipped.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Alright thanks guys. I was wondering if it might have something to do with Hedorah but wasn’t sure so thanks for the responses.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

http://imgur.com/gallery/UaSXL1i

Some pictures I took of Jet Jaguar with some figures in my collection (mainly 1973-75 Godzilla, YMSF Megalon, and Revoltech Gigan). Figure is pretty nice in terms of sculpt and paint. I like that there is an open and closed hand for the figure, so you can have Jet Jaguat punch an enemy monster and also give Godzilla a handshake. Only gripe is that in terms of scaling with some 6-inch Godzilla figures he is a little bit on the bulky side, but that is a bit of a nitpick.

I also got Legion and I am pretty impressed by the sculpt on the figure. Been a couple of years since I saw the movie so the scaling I am not too certain of. Definitely a big figure when it comes to 6-inch scale (Biollante should have been this size).
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkDeltaDragon
Yojimbo

Post by DarkDeltaDragon »

Man that Blu-Ray Exclusive Ultima vinyl looks pretty good but a bit too expensive for me. Maybe I'll just hold on a little longer. The Godzilla Store could probably even release an even better looking one in the future as a store exclusive.

Xenagoji7802
Samurai

Post by Xenagoji7802 »

Omg I want to see the new Gamera 1999 and Godzilla 1991 so badly...the suspense is killin' me :shock:

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Xenagoji7802 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:12 pm Omg I want to see the new Gamera 1999 and Godzilla 1991 so badly...the suspense is killin' me :shock:
Same here!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^I'll never buy any, but I'm chomping at the bit to see em.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Xenagoji7802
Samurai

Post by Xenagoji7802 »

G1985 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:51 am
Xenagoji7802 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:12 pm Omg I want to see the new Gamera 1999 and Godzilla 1991 so badly...the suspense is killin' me :shock:
Same here!
😁😁😁🙌🙌🙌

Added in 1 minute 43 seconds:
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:04 am ^I'll never buy any, but I'm chomping at the bit to see em.
Lol I hope the face of the MMS Gamera 3 puts the SHMA's to shame 😉